Springfield XD Forum banner

Tell me I'm overreacting - Ammo sales display

2K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  atmiller 
#1 ·
Hope this is not too controversial for a first post --
Just got back from shopping with the Mrs. We went to an upper mid west based chain super store which is similar to a Super Wal Mart. While she was shopping in the grocery area I walk over to the sporting goods area to check it out. (First time in this store) Walked through a couple of isle of hunting and fishing equipment but did not see a gun area/counter. OK, so no guns or ammo so I cut down another isle to go back to the Mrs.

What I found on this isle I was appalling. Box after box of ammunition just sitting on open shelves. I'm not only talking about shotgun shells but boxes of rifle ammo, 22LR, .223, .30-.30, .30-06, and .308, 7mm and a few others Next came boxes of 9mm, .38 special, 40cal S&W, .357 and .44 magnums most of the boxes were FMJ but a good number were JHP. A good number of the boxes of all types had been open and a number of rounds were missing!!!! Unfortunately for me there were no .45ACPs.

I picked-up a few boxes to take a look at and in them and there were no inventory control bars to be found. There were no clerks around and there were, as best as I could tell, no cameras around. And even if there were I could have palmed handfuls rounds in the back of the selves if I wanted to.

Stores like this give law abiding gun owners a bad name. For the more knowledgeable ones around here. Are there any federal are state (Ohio in this case) laws against such an open display? I don't want to come across as a anti gun nut but the idea of some kid getting his hands on a number of .30-.30 or 44 mag rounds and throwing them on the ground is downright scary.

See less See more
#4 ·
One one hand, that is a shame because yes, it does give lawful knowledgeable gun owners a bad name when the ammo gets into the wrong hands. But then again...guns and ammo don't kill people...people kill people. Could verywell go and get pickaxes from the gardening department and give someone a good whack.
However...I wish there was a place like that around here because when I go into walmart...there is NEVER anyone manning the guns/ammo section...usually have to call someone over and wait forever for them to open up the case; that is, if they actually have a case. Two of the walmarts I go to have the ammo on shelves behind the counter and the only thing seperating you and it...is a scary yellow ribbon saying 'employees only'...

#5 ·
Okay..."YOU ARE OVERREACTING!"

You told me to tell you after all...and you are.

Now that being said, it would be nice if the store kept a better watch on their stock, and their customers, but hey...people are animals too! ;)

#8 ·
I'm guessing this to be in Ohio? I would be surprised only to see that there is no control (against shop lifting). The are movies on the shelf that requires you to be 18, so I don't see the problem. Heck, in some places spray paint was locked up because of huffers... Sounds like a neat store!!

#9 ·
One one hand, that is a shame because yes, it does give lawful knowledgeable gun owners a bad name when the ammo gets into the wrong hands. But then again...guns and ammo don't kill people...people kill people. Could verywell go and get pickaxes from the gardening department and give someone a good whack.
However...I wish there was a place like that around here because when I go into walmart...there is NEVER anyone manning the guns/ammo section...usually have to call someone over and wait forever for them to open up the case; that is, if they actually have a case. Two of the walmarts I go to have the ammo on shelves behind the counter and the only thing seperating you and it...is a scary yellow ribbon saying 'employees only'...
My Wal-Mart is the same. I had to wander around for 10 minutes to find someone then wait another 10 minutes for someone with a key to show-up. I have walked behind the counter to grab stuff that wasn't locked. I guess you get what you pay for.:roll: As far as the ammo out in the open it wouldn't bother me. One of our local gun shops has guns and ammo unlocked on the floor. I guess you could load one up right there and open fire but you could also run down a bunch of pedestrians with your vehicular assault vehicle.

#10 ·
i get upset about the opposite. when you have to wait at a counter to get some ammo just because your 9mm is a little smaller than most rifle/ shotgun ammo. especially when there is no one behind the counter!!!!!!!!!!!

#12 ·
i get upset about the opposite. when you have to wait at a counter to get some ammo just because your 9mm is a little smaller than most rifle/ shotgun ammo. especially when there is no one behind the counter!!!!!!!!!!!
I know what you mean, last time I bought powder and primers at walmart I had to go to the electronics department and have them page somebody to sporting goods.

#13 ·
I really don't see what the big deal is about a couple rounds of stolen ammunition. Is it lame? If course. Whoever did it should have their hands chopped off...but do they pose a threat to society? Doubtful...

I figure if they NEED to steal a couple rounds of ammo, they're probably not in a monetary situation to be purchasing a gun. So unless they're throwing that ammo at someone, no one's getting hurt.

Probably some punk middle schoolers trying to be cool.

#14 ·
I remember a year ago when you couldn't get ammo in that store. I agree that they should probably control theft a little better, but not necessarily lock it up.

Outdoor world here in Cincy has their ammo all in the open, as does dicks sporting goods. The meijer here locks it up though.

#15 ·
going into a gun store is different, than a wal-mart type store where joe-gangsta walks in off the street and can easily grab a handful of shells and walk right back out onto the street without anyone even batting an eyelash at him.

#16 ·
I'm not sure how old you are, but back in the day, all ammo was sold off open shelves. In many areas it still is. Without a gun, the ammo is pretty innocuous. So yes, you are over reacting.

#18 ·
Sometimes I'll stop at my local Super Walmart at 3am or 4am in the morning. They used to have most of their ammo locked up. Got to the point where I would just stop at the open register on my way in and ask the cashier/s if they could please page someone to meet me at the ammo counter with the key to the ammo. They would say sure, and page the person with the key. By the time I walked the 1 mile back to the counter, someone would be there waiting for me or they would be along shortly thereafter.

Noticed now that a lot of the ammo is not locked up. So I don't bother to page them anymore. Just walk back and grab what I need, be it 9mm, 45ACP, .223 or .22LR, or 12ga. shells. Most of the other stuff is still locked up.

I would tell the manager about the missing rounds in the boxes. They might want to know. I know I would be pissed if I bought a box and got it home and it was half empty. Guess I'll check the boxes from now on before I buy them.

#19 ·
Walmart sells ammo after 10pm? They refused to sell ammo to me after 10pm, said it was company policy.

#20 ·
Overreacting? I don't know.

Right to express concern? Yes.

When I see things that give gun owners a bad rep in the eyes of non-gun owners, it concerns me.

Having ammo where minors can easily steal it doesn't help the case for gun owners. And for that reason, you'd be right to tell management about it, and implore them to take greater care with it.

It's true, as some said, that ammo w/o a gun isn't very useful, but what if a minor has access to a pistol but can't normally buy the ammo? And suppose that such a minor would palm a dozen rounds, use them in said pistol, and you fill in the rest of the details.

When it came out where the ammo came from, there would be a storm of protest by the non-gun camp deploring the lack of oversight, restriction, etc. etc. The register and stamp ammo people would be given a great weapon in their efforts to restrict firearms and ammo, and there you'd be.

So are you overreacting? I don't know. Should you tell the management and implore them to protect their ammo more? Absolutely.

Frankly, when responsible gun owners make it their job to ensure careful use and storage and sale of guns and ammo, they do far more for gun ownership than letting bad things happen they could have prevented. A little self-policing goes a long way.

#21 ·
We have a Gander Mountain retailer close to our home and the only kind of pistol ammunition they have out that's easily accessible is the .22 rifle bullets. They also have a variety of shotgun shells on shelves that customers can access, but certainly not the kind of bullets you're talking about. What this store is doing is dangerous and irresponsible. I'd call your local law enforcement office ask at least ask them about it. They will be the ones who will eventually have to deal with the problem this kind of display causes.:!:

#23 ·
I have Walmart's number programmed into my phone. As I walk through the parking lot, I call them, tell them I'm standing at the ammo and need someone to help me. My the time I get through the store there is usually someone there.

I used to call from the phone behind the desk, they would be applauded that a customer would use an employee phone. It does help move them along...

#24 ·
I've been to plenty of stores where knives are out in the open...and what about Home Depot? Plenty of tools that can be used as good weapons just laying around, for some punk to steal.

Still don't see the "outrage" in all this. Again...Cabela's has guns on the main floor, that anyone can go fondle. For some reason I don't see any threads on that...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.