Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Read Only
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm deciding on ammo to use when concealing. I of course want maximum stopping power and minimum overpenetration. My theory is this: a small, light sports car will hit an object at 100mph and just explode into a billion pieces, whereas a semitruck going 55 will hit an object and plow right on through.

I see no reason this wouldn't hold true for bullets. High-velocity light-grain hollowpoints sound like what I need to make sure all of the force of the round is deployed into the target.

Is my reasoning sound?

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
save for that a shallow flesh wound wont stop anyone.

I do favor light and fast over slow and heavy, but all things in moderation.
If you aren't going a foot deep, you need heavier. No pistol has the energy to act like a high powered rifle.

what caliber and what barrel length are we talking here?

·
Read Only
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the look of the Gold Dots. The availability, however, is a little less appealing. Does Hornady make anything that compares?

·
Registered
332 Posts
I like the look of the Gold Dots. The availability, however, is a little less appealing. Does Hornady make anything that compares?
I like 9mm Speer Gold Dot 124gr either regular or Short Barrel, or Remington 124gr Golden Saber or Hornady 124gr TAP, in either Standard Pressure or +P, for the 3" XD subcompact and the larger XDm. They all have performed very well in my testing and are very popular with police agencies.

For a .38 J-Frame snubby, I like the Speer Gold Dot 135gr Short Barrel +P.

With the 9mm you get the added bonus of lower ammo cost, higher capacity and less felt recoil allowing for quicker follow-up shots compared to the larger calibers in similar size guns.

With the growing trends for multiple attackers, I like the higher capacity guns.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I like to shoot underwood ammo +p+ 124gr gold dot. Check out the following reviews. I buy all of my self defense ammo from them. When I last spoke to the owner (a great guy who delivers fantastic customer service, he said he is growing an average of 70% per year since he opened his factory. That speaks volumes about the quality of his products and his customer service. If you choose to shoot any +p ammo make sure your handgun is rated to handle the extra pressure (you can always call the manufacturer). God Dots are an excellent and reliable self defense round. He also offers 9mm in Hornady in 115gr XTP which also is an excellent round. With the velocities their ammo shoots at you get fantastic expansion, a great permanent wound cavity and a fantastic temporary wound cavity. I use their ammo for my: 9mm, 357sig, and 9mm. With my new ar-15 build I will be checking their ammo out against others. I bet the protection of my wife and my life on their ammo.

Whatever ammo you choose, just make sure to put a few boxes of it through your handgun to make sure it feeds, fires, and ejects 100% of the time before you stock up on it.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Underwood+Ammo+9mm+115+Grain++P++Short+Barrel+Test

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
So I'm deciding on ammo to use when concealing. I of course want maximum stopping power and minimum overpenetration. My theory is this: a small, light sports car will hit an object at 100mph and just explode into a billion pieces, whereas a semitruck going 55 will hit an object and plow right on through.

I see no reason this wouldn't hold true for bullets. High-velocity light-grain hollowpoints sound like what I need to make sure all of the force of the round is deployed into the target.

Is my reasoning sound?
First of all, there is no such thing as "stopping power" in a handgun. You want stopping power, carry a bazooka. Check some online ballistic comparisons. Don't over-engineer this. There are about 10 rounds that perform much the same. Penetration depths can be misleading as they are usually measured using bare gel. Add a couple layers of clothing, and some bone mass, the the depth often drops drastically. When shooting to save your life, over-penetration is the least of your worries. You are correct when you say, basically, mass trumps velocity for better penetration. I carried a 124 gr. +p round until cuda and a couple others convinced me the 147 gr. standard velocity would perform better in a real-life situation. The penetration of the slower, heavier bullet is almost the same as the lighter one, but it's less likely to be stopped by objects. Neither is likely to go "through and through". Although 9mm is an easy-recoiling round, the 147 standard is even easier than the 124 +p, giving me faster, more accurate followups.

With all due respect to droopy, I wouldn't shoot +p+ for love or money. Since there is no SAAMI standard for +p+, you really don't know what you're getting, unless the manufacturer publishes the velocity and pressures for their rounds. It kicks hard, possibly throwing your follow ups off, and even if your gun is designed for +p, +p+ is hard on the weapon. If you believe you need +p+, you need a larger caliber.

My carry ammo of choice in my XD9SC is Speer Gold Dot standard pressure 147 gr. JHP. Either standard or short barrel versions work well.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Speer Gold Dots...Remington Golden Sabre...Federal Hydra-Shok...

only 3 I would use in 9mm...

·
Read Only
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lots of good info here. Thanks. My last thing I want to confirm, I searched and it looks like the XD9SC is capable of handling +p ammo, can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've shot a couple hundred rounds of various +p ammo through my XD9sc with out any issues

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
332 Posts
Lots of good info here. Thanks. My last thing I want to confirm, I searched and it looks like the XD9SC is capable of handling +p ammo, can anyone confirm?
YES, it can.

·
Premium Member
127,986 Posts

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Sort of. There is more to it than vel, bullet construction is very important. If you build a light jhp tough enough to not frag, high vel I pacts can be impressive. The issue will b having enough mass to insure penetration. If I have any doubts, I go for th heaviet bullet wt available.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
While there is something to be said for velocity in any bullet weight, penetration is very important. The deeper it goes the more stuff it cuts as it buzz saws its way through the attacker. I have nothing against any caliber which can be used in a self defense scenario, but as I have said in the past and Keltyke said in this thread, if you think you need +P+ you probably need a bigger gun. Even at 1150fps for the Underwood 147grn Gold Dot bullet, you are producing 169 or so power factor, which is nothing to sneeze at, but a mere bagatelle for a 40cal pistol. 169 power factor would be considered as "gamer ammo" for a .40 so it doesn't recoil too much to get on target again quickly. In other words, for a .40, that is below factory spec for any so called "defense ammo".

So if you have but one pistol, a 9mm, and you don't think standard velocity ammo is going to cut it, then you should look into those more robust rounds, though I hesitate to recommend the +P+ stuff. But if you do then buy a lot of them as you should be thoroughly familiar with how they will act in your hands and your gun. But also consider other rounds made for short barrels that will still expand at lesser velocities as your XDsc is not going to throw any of the standard, +P, or +P+ stuff nearly as fast as what it says on the box. If all else fails, get a .40, but really consider matching the ammo to your gun if a 9mm is what you are going to use. It's more about where you hit 'em then what you hit 'em with.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I like to shoot underwood ammo +p+ 124gr gold dot. Check out the following reviews. I buy all of my self defense ammo from them. When I last spoke to the owner (a great guy who delivers fantastic customer service, he said he is growing an average of 70% per year since he opened his factory. That speaks volumes about the quality of his products and his customer service. If you choose to shoot any +p ammo make sure your handgun is rated to handle the extra pressure (you can always call the manufacturer). God Dots are an excellent and reliable self defense round. He also offers 9mm in Hornady in 115gr XTP which also is an excellent round. With the velocities their ammo shoots at you get fantastic expansion, a great permanent wound cavity and a fantastic temporary wound cavity. I use their ammo for my: 9mm, 357sig, and 9mm. With my new ar-15 build I will be checking their ammo out against others. I bet the protection of my wife and my life on their ammo.

Whatever ammo you choose, just make sure to put a few boxes of it through your handgun to make sure it feeds, fires, and ejects 100% of the time before you stock up on it.

Glock 19 9mm 124gr Velocities & Accuracy with Buffalo Bore Underwood Corbon Doubletap Ranger - YouTube
9mm +P+ Underwood Gold Dot 124 gr Ammo Gel Test - YouTube
9mm +P+ Underwood 147 gr Gold Dot Ammo Gel Test - YouTube
Underwood 9mm 115 gr +P+ JHP Ammo Test - YouTube
Glock 19 9mm 124gr Velocities & Accuracy with Buffalo Bore Underwood Corbon Doubletap Ranger - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9878L6YkQS0
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Underwood+Ammo+9mm+115+Grain++P++Short+Barrel+Test

I too use Underwood ammo as my SD loads. Their 124 gr XTP load for the 357sig @1475 fps is my EDC. Gotta love it--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
While there is something to be said for velocity in any bullet weight, penetration is very important. The deeper it goes the more stuff it cuts as it buzz saws its way through the attacker. I have nothing against any caliber which can be used in a self defense scenario, but as I have said in the past and Keltyke said in this thread, if you think you need +P+ you probably need a bigger gun. Even at 1150fps for the Underwood 147grn Gold Dot bullet, you are producing 169 or so power factor, which is nothing to sneeze at, but a mere bagatelle for a 40cal pistol. 169 power factor would be considered as "gamer ammo" for a .40 so it doesn't recoil too much to get on target again quickly. In other words, for a .40, that is below factory spec for any so called "defense ammo".

So if you have but one pistol, a 9mm, and you don't think standard velocity ammo is going to cut it, then you should look into those more robust rounds, though I hesitate to recommend the +P+ stuff. But if you do then buy a lot of them as you should be thoroughly familiar with how they will act in your hands and your gun. But also consider other rounds made for short barrels that will still expand at lesser velocities as your XDsc is not going to throw any of the standard, +P, or +P+ stuff nearly as fast as what it says on the box. If all else fails, get a .40, but really consider matching the ammo to your gun if a 9mm is what you are going to use. It's more about where you hit 'em then what you hit 'em with.

some good info in here...but I don't think the OP is going to be using any .40 ammo in the 9mm he already owns and was asking about loads for...

OP--do whatever it takes to locate some Speer Gold Dot Short-Barrel Loads and call it a day ;)

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
I use 124g+p from Speer and 124g +p+ from Underwood in my XD9SC. Underwood uses Speer's bonded hollow point bullet. The 124g +p+ has a snap to it, and I feel it in my fingertip for several days after a trip to the range.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts