Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a non-1911 .45. I like the FNP 45 but it's pretty large. Very slim chance that this pistol would be carried. SIG 220s are well respected but cost more than I want to spend. So I'm leaning towards the XD. I already have an XDm in 9mm that I really like. It goes to the range with me often. The XD 45 is a little smaller than the XDm so could be concealed a little easier if necessary.

This pistol would be competing with about 6 other semis in 9mm for range time. So it would not see a lot of usage. Hence the XD instead of the XDm or other more expensive guns.

Those of you who own XDs in 45, what do you think of them? How does accuracy compare with your other 45s (non-1911). How is recoil compared to other 45s, including 1911s. Tell me about yours.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
127,272 Posts
My XD45 Service does double duty as my home defense and IDPA competition gun. I had a Combat Carry job done on it by www.springerprecision.com. Regarding felt recoil, I guess it is slightly less than my 1911. It's a great gun!

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have three .45 pistols, a Colt National Match, a Sig P245 and an XD45 Compact. The Colt is the most accurate and has the best trigger. The Sig and XD are very similar in size and both are surprisingly accurate. The XD seems to handle recoil slightly better than the Sig, perhaps because I have smooth wood grips on the Sig.

They are all KEEPERS!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a 4 inch xd45, I bought the first one I saw when it was first introduced. I bring it to the range with me every trip and always fire at least 2 mags through it. It has only failed to fire once. (bad ammo). It is rock steady and dependable. I have nothing but praise for the xd45. I am thinking about buying a xdm45.

later

·
Registered
886 Posts
Have the service model fits my hand very well. Also own Xd-357sig sevice and the 45 frame is little larger and the recoil is much better. Trigger on 45 is a little longer but smooth and breaks well.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have an XD45c. I had an XD45 Service, but sold it to a guy who wanted it after he shot it. He paid what I paid for it new (it only had about 500 rounds through it). His opinion was that it had been broken in for him. Anyway, I like the 45c since it is the Service model when the extended, 13-round magazine is in place. If I want to carry it in my MTAC, I just pop in the 10-round which is not something you can do with the Service model.

I love this gun. It compares favorably with my 1911s for accuracy. The trigger is a little rough compared to a 1911, but they get better with time and there are replacement options. But I will stand by my opinion that the XD trigger is better than the Glock or the M&P. The M&Ps I hve shot have had terrible triggers.

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
I have an XD45c, I've had it for about a year and a half, and put about 3k rounds through it in that time, but since I stopped counting after 2200, I might be off a little. The only issue I've had with it was with Remington bulk pack, when i shot 250 rounds in an hour and a half doing some personal defense and tactics training, the cases lodged in the chamber. However, when I first bought it it, I put 295 rounds through it in 1 range trip that was just under 3 hours and had no problem.
with the 10 round mag it's my CC pistol, and with the 13 round mag it's on my nightstand. I absolutely love this gun. the only mod to it is meprolite night sights, otherwise it's factory, and been dependable and very accurate.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have the service bi tone and I love it. Been nothing but reliable. Recoil is not bad either. Great gun imo.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have a xd45c for about 3 years.

Have had about 2500 rounds through it. Zero issues. My 9 year old daughter can handle the recoil of WWB ammo in this gun, though the grip is a little large for her. It has a pleasant "push" when fired versus the "snap" of a .40S&W.

The versatility of using the 10 round versus 13 round mags can not be overstated. I use it for CCW and nightstand duty, as well as open-carry at times when working outside.

I'm not fond of the stock sights, but not so much I've felt compelled to change them to something else.

It is the same size as a Glock 19, but is heavier (40ozs. fully loaded) so it requires a decent holster and belt combo to carry it well. It feels a little top-heavy compared to a Glock when empty, but balances out when loaded.

A couple of people who are 1911 fanatics say the trigger is "mushy" to them, but it is smooth and functional IMO. I do like the "crispness" and quick reset of the Glock trigger better, but as a self-defense and backyard plinking weapon, the difference is negligible. (Someone who was a competitive shooter would probably want to upgrade the trigger.)

I have been watching for the infamous "roll pin" breakage issue, but have not experienced it myself, despite dry-firing more than I probably should.

I reload, (and .45 brass lasts forever) but if you don't reload take note of ammo prices before you splurge -- even a moderate amount of plinking can burn some money real fast when shooting .45ACP!

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
I have a xd .45 compact I carry all the time with no problems! I also like the fact that it holds 10+1 rnds and if needed I have an extra 13 rnd mag for it .. cmon now a high cap 45 that easily fits into your hand, is rock solid and deadly accurate, whats not to love??

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I carry my XD45C daily. It has been rock solid since the first shot. Not one failure of any kind. Changed the sights to TFO which are awesome day and night, sent it to Robar for the "Norton Special" ( all metal parts refinished in NP3 ), had them round off the trigger guard and do a Competition trigger job set at 4.5#. This pistol is awesome and I trust my life to it everyday. The only thing the XD really needs out of the box is a better trigger but you can get used to the stock trigger, I elected to have a trigger job and have never regretted doing so. I would highly recommend the XD45 Compact in the 4" Service Model. I carry mine in a CrossBreed Supertuck which is extremely comfortable and I carry it that way all day, even sitting down.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
My XD45 is about 5 years old now and is still my go to gun. It lives in my nightstand with a TLR-2 on it.

It desperately needed grip tape on it but now it's great! I might do a trigger job on it latter just to make it even more enjoyable to shoot but I think I am most attached to my XD45 of all my handguns and those include among others an XDM9 and a Beretta 92FS.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
My XD45c is the most boring gun I own. It goes bang every time I pull the trigger, and the shots go where I point the barrel. That's a good thing since it's my everyday carry piece. Love it, and I would be hard pressed to ever replace it.

·
Premium Member
3,470 Posts
Not much to add here but you won't be disappointed with the XD45.

I still like shooting a 1911 a bit more.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
I've got two 1911 Govt size, two Xd45 tactical size. For accuracy I perfer the 1911. For the reliability I prefer the XD. I am in California so I only get two ore rounds in the XD, but outside of California, that difference would be greater. I enjoy shooting both platforms but it larger comes down to this. If this were a SHTF siuation, I'd go for the XD's, mainly due to round capacity. If this were a range situation, I go for a 1911. You can tweak the xd trigger to get you clser to the stock trigger of the 1911, but it won't be the same. I enjoy both and I shoot the 1911 slightly better than the Xd.

If I scuff up the XD, it won't cause me as much consternation as if I scratch up m 1911. As long as you don't pick up a lemon, you should be happy with either.

The XD's I own are the tactical series,add the one inch does make a difference between a tactical and a standard models

·
Registered
416 Posts
I've had my Service going on 5 years. It's the only .45 I own (for now ;)). It had one or two FTEs early on, but has been flawless since. It's my everyday carry in a CBST, and my nightstand gun with the Procyon on it. Love it, but I'm jonesin' for a 1911.

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
I bought the XD45c because, at the time, I could only afford one gun for CC and Home Defense. I spent all of $515 and got quite a bit of gun for the money.

I went to the range on Saturday and put another 200 rds through without failure of any kind. I'm at about 1,800 rds without any failures of any kind....this is why I bought the XD. It's flat out reliable and accurate.

No offense to the 1911 crowd, but American Rifleman had a rather long article a month or two back (May?) on 1911 reliabilty fixes and improvements. That article related to the XD has never been writtennor can I foresee it being witten because of the XD's impressive reliability. You can always improve the performnces aspects of any gun, but reliability that is built in is priceless.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I will be the "wet blanket" in this discussion. While many report no issues with the XD45, that is not always the case. Do a search for "magazine problems" and a couple of long threads will show up. Turns out the problem is not related to the magazines after all, but is an issue relating to the design of the slide. It seems to be limited to .45 cal XDs. See the threads for details. At least some XD45s exhibit frequent nose dive jams. ALL XD45s have the problem but some manifest it later in life while others right out the box, like mine did. This is why few XD45s will feed SWC.

The XDm45 fixed the problem with a design change to the slide. Seems to me they ought to be able to do the same for the XD45?

My advice is to buy an XDm45 and avoid possible problems with a pistol you may be trusting your life on. They will feed SWC.

I also own 1911s and like both, but the trigger on the XD will never be like the 1911 trigger, but it can be improved and you can adjust to it.

CX

1 - 20 of 32 Posts