Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not the HK USP 45, the HK45. How good is it? For CC, how does it compare to the XD40 Service that I currently carry? I can't say that I've ever held one, but I am intrigued by some of the reviews I have read. Current Sig QC issues have me a little scared to buy that new 220 I want so badly, but this HK45 might just fit the bill... for now. :twisted:

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
From a certified HK-ophile, here goes:

The HK45 is one of the best feeling pistols I have ever had the privilege to shoot. The first one I picked up I knew I was in trouble. It just naturally molded to my hand if you know what I mean. The grip, while it is frankly kind of ugly and many refer to it as the "spiderman grip," is phenomenal. It also pointed perfectly for me. The recoil is very good for a .45acp thanks to HK's recoil system on almost all their pistols and is better than with the standard UPS. For me, the pistol comes back on target without much of any wrangling on my part. Again, you mileage may vary as recoil is largely subjective. The trigger is also much better than the standard USP trigger if you have ever shot one. The HK45 trigger is actually closer to the USP Match, tactical and expert triggers, breaking at around 4.5lbs in SA and around 9.5 in DA. It has a little overtravel and creep, but is very good for a stock trigger that for 99% of the people buying them will use the pistol for CCW/SD. The pistol also is very reliable with everything it has been fed from light target loads to +P carry ammo. Accuracy is also excellent thanks to the reduced recoil, long sight radius and excellent feel of the pistol in hand. Only gripe at this point is...ONLY 10-ROUND MAGS!!! UGGGGGHHHH!!! (But I keep reminding myself it is a .45acp and I don't need 10+1 or anywhere close to that!!..also for your purposes...unless you are getting extended mags with the Sig which really weren't designed for carrying, you don't get that many).

In terms of CCW with the HK45, the first thing I noticed about the pistol was that it is not much larger than a commander sized 1911 with the exception of being slightly taller from grip end to top of slide and thicker/wider in terms of the grip. It will conceal as well as a commander-sized 1911 with the proper holster riding close to the body and remember...thanks to a polymer frame, the pistol is several ounces lighter than a 1911.

Other than the additional price of the pistol itself and the additional price of HK mags when comparing with the Sig P220 line, the HK45 wins hands down!!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, nice review. Thanks for taking the time to tell me about it. So you don't think it would be much different than concealing my XD40.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
The HK45 will be less than 0.25" longer and less than 0.25" taller than the XD40 Service model. The width of the pistols is comparable, but I am not sure about the exact measurements. I think that the XD40 is around 1.3" or so wide and the HK45 is 1.4", so the difference is very minimal. I must admit that I have never carried an XD40, but I have carried an XD45 Service. Given the HK45's grip surface, it does not feel like a "wide" pistol by any means. Again, in comparing it to the XD40 and the standard HK USP, the HK45 just has a great feel and should be no more (but no less) difficult to conceal than the XD.

WOOHOOO!! - Edited to add that was my 500th post!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm considering the HK45 as well, but have a concern about the grip. I had XD40 a few years ago, and ended up selling it, because the gun just felt too small to shoot comfortably (I have large hands). The trigger did not fall in a natural spot on my finger, causing me to constantly re-adjust it. Just didn't make for a pleasant (or accurate) shooting experience. The local shops around here have USP40 and 45's, but no HK45's. I like the feel of the USP, but it's definitely a little 'brick-like'. I have a 1911, and absolutely love it, but looking to add an H&K to the collection, so split between the HK45 and USP line (want a .40 or .45).

Another way to phrase the question, for those that own a USP45 and HK45... when you hold each pistol in your normal grip, and extend your trigger finger out straight... does the trigger intercept your finger in the same spot on each of these? Or, does your trigger finger extend past the trigger further on the HK45? When I did this with an XD45 and a USP45, my finger was at least a quarter of an inch further past the trigger on the XD. With a 1911 (obviously a narrower grip), the trigger still hits my finger in the roughly the same spot as a USP, hence the reason it feels more comfortable than an XD. I would be comfortable buying the HK45 unseen/felt, if a few people can perform this simple test, and provide feedback on the 'depth' (??) of the grip.

·
Banned
8,566 Posts
Hks are nice i havent shot a .45 HK in a while, many years to long to be of any useful review.

Did you hold it? Some folks are just ergo babies and the slightest detail is a deal killer, so iwould go hold and rent one.

if you really dig the sig p220 as i do, why not just put your feelers out for a nice used west german one. They arent uber rare, tell your local dealers you want one and to call you when they get one on trade, or consignment.

across the lineup i am much more of a sig guy than an HK guy, though HK does make awesome stuff.

A p220 is definately on my short list of guns i need to stop the itch.

Really in terms of handguns a west german p220 and a dan wesson 1911 cbob, or SA stainless champion 4" that would stop some itching.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts