Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Edited to refrase: "Isnt it stupid when cashiers ask you if its for a handgun?" There is no way of them actually knowing and it really doesnt keep ammo out of hands of 18-20 yr olds. I am just kinda baffled that they require it to be 21 in the first place when I can carry(and do) at 18(Im 20).

·
Registered
275 Posts
Is "No pistol ammo for 20's and under" just a wal-mart rule or a state law in your area?

If a law, I don't think I'd be bragging about breaking it on a public gun board. :lol: :p

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im not real sure if its a law or just something that stores do. I read on other boards that it doesnt say for sure that you must be 21 for handgun ammo. However I can log into cabelas and ship and only need to be 18 so I dont know for sure. I was just curious if anybody else knew what it was like in your area?

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's a Federal law just like not selling handguns to persons under 21. How's it feel to be wanted by the BATFE? Pretty dumb to brag about breaking a gun law on a gun forum.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes it may be dumb but for all anybody knows I do have a Ruger pc4. Basically what Im wanting to know or discuss is that "Isnt it stupid that they even ask "is it for a handgun?". They dont care and there is no waying of them actually knowing. I realize that they can refuse a sale but it seems like it would descrimiate from people with strange caliber rifles.

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
Your under 21. So what if you have a pistol and a rifle that shoots 9MM? Do you buy the ammo for the rifle making it a legal buy? And if you buy it for the rifle and end up using it in the pistol have you broken a law? Sometimes laws are just plain stupid. Your parents can buy you a pistol at age 18 or any age really. You can shoot one at any age but you can't buy ammo for a pistol legally until your 21. Just another law invented by some people who didn't turn on their brain first. Please stay legal somehow...

·
Registered
275 Posts
one-eyed-fatman said:
Sometimes laws are just plain stupid.
Correct. Exactly why I disagre w/ the nra's stance on enforcing ALL current gun laws. These are the very laws we fought against being on the books in the first place.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes pretty stupid indeed becuase as I stated I aquired a XD40 through a trade and have my CCW permit. But when it comes to getting ammo I have to find a buyer or buy for my rifle( :roll: )

·
Registered
287 Posts
R/T Performance said:
As long as we are b!tchen .Why 1/2 of the time do you have to pay at the counter in sporting goods and the rest of the time pay up front :?
I wouldn't complain at all if some one actuelly worked the counter :shock:
ditto...

I love it when I try and stop on my lunch hour... and it takes fifteen minutes to find the associate from sporting goods to showup and ring me out.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Anyone else try to argue with you at the sporting goods counter that you have to pay for all ammunition there, even the shotshells that are out on the normal shelves?

Even more funny when the pistol caliber value packs are all out on the shelf, but the second you want a 40rd value pack of 223, "Store policy requires all ammunition to be purchased at the sporting goods counter" comes from some idiot pizza-face who probably isn't 21 himself.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Never really thought about it I guess, but they're just doing what they've been trained to do. The thing pops up on the screen that says "ask cust. if for handgun" or whatever. Everytime I say yes, it's usually some college female who looks shocked at my answer for some reason. Anyone know if they ask "is this for a handgun" when buying shot shells? I've never gotten any at walmart. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Okay. I'll admit it... I actually worked at WalMart. :oops: But in my defense, I worked electronics/hardware/toys/sporting goods/automotive area and actually knew what I was talking about -- believe it or not. (Except for toys... Hated toys.)

The whole pay for ammo deal usually has to do with the fact that depending on where the store is, ammo theft is pretty common. If it's out on the shelf, it can be paid for anywhere in the store. If it's locked in a case, you have to pay for it in the dept you got from or be walked to the nearest open register. Now if only the managers could manage to hire people that know a damn about sporting goods and can manage to actually stay in the dept.. I'd be impressed.

"I'm sorry ma'am, we don't have any .45 ACP bullets. We've got some 45 Auto though..." SHEESH!! :?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Me: 'I need some 40 Smith and Wesson please'

Wal-Mart Man: 'Oh okay... let me just open this up here...'

Can't find the right key.. takes a couple minutes to get the case open...

Me: 'No.. you grabbed 9's I need 40's'

Wal-Mart Man: 'Oh my, you're right these are Nine M and M's'

Drops box putting it back in, which opens, and sends shells all over the floor behind the counter....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Watch out if you catch 'em after a special ammo order. They might have 9 x 19, 9mm Parabellum and 9mm on the shelf all at the same time. That might be an interesting show if your average 16 year old girl is running the counter.

I was getting ammo for a lady who was buying it for her husband. I'm guessing it was a surprise or the guy woulda done it himself. She couldn't remember if it was .308 or .380. Boy was that fun to try and sort through..

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I don't even remember shotshells asking for age verification.

One that really did get my attention is that almost every rifle round I've bought, with the exception of 7.62x39 (before I found out about Wolf), rang up to check for 21 years of age. Sure, I've got one of those 1911s in ought-six! :roll:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts