Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Range Report; Remington Tech Target 597 (.22LR Semi-Auto)

First group is CCI Standard Velocity. It was 78̊ F out. Winds were 0-3 mph. I fired all rounds benched and bagged, but did not let the barrel cool substantially (and it got rather warm at the end of the second string). Here are the pics:

The best group of the day was with CCI Std Vel. I consider it a fluke based upon the other 6 targets:

I also re-shot some CCI Mini-Mags. Once again, as I noted in my original post some two years back, CCI Mini-Mags are strangely inconsistent - they'll group 8 rounds in a tiny cluster, then string a round or two either left or down (and it's usually several inches). Here are some groups:

And finally I shot some more Thunderbolts, just two groups. As is the usual case, Thunderbolts, while often-times not very reliable, are often-times pretty accurate, with occasional flyers. See below:

So what can I derive from this shooting session?

1. @100 yards, .22 LR is having some challenges, at least out of this gun.
2. All American .22 LR ammo is primed in a haphazard way. Quality doesn't really seem to increase in American .22 LR ammo no matter what you spend on it.
3. It's probable that my rifle, with the mods (target hammer, free-floated, "bedded" with aluminum foil tape) may be capable of much better accuracy - SK Match produced 1.36 MOA results in previous testing.
4. CCI Standard Velocity is worth about 2.3-2.6 MOA.
5. CCI Mini-Mag can produce nice results - if you're willing to ignore one (wildly inaccurate) flyer in 7.
6. As Old_Painless is fond of saying, "Shooting stuff is fun."

I have just purchased 250 rounds of RWS Dynamit Nobel ammo - I will file a range report on this stuff sometime this week.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I love CCI SV, its my favorite affordable rimfire ammo, not surprised it performed best for you. Have you tried Wolf Match Target? I'm just getting started with this bench rest precision rimfire shooting and starting to explore various makes of ammo to see what works best in my CZ452 American. Haven't done much with torque settings on the action screws or anything like that yet. I took it out yesterday to try some Wolf MT at 50 yards. After shooting a few foulers I was pretty happy with the final group in the center. I think the scattered shots are more me than the ammo. Didn't make any precise measurements but this is on a 1/2" grid. Of course, Wolf MT cost twice as much as CCI SV.:(

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love CCI SV, its my favorite affordable rimfire ammo, not surprised it performed best for you. Have you tried Wolf Match Target? I'm just getting started with this bench rest precision rimfire shooting and starting to explore various makes of ammo to see what works best in my CZ452 American. Haven't done much with torque settings on the action screws or anything like that yet. I took it out yesterday to try some Wolf MT at 50 yards. After shooting a few foulers I was pretty happy with the final group in the center. I think the scattered shots are more me than the ammo. Didn't make any precise measurements but this is on a 1/2" grid. Of course, Wolf MT cost twice as much as CCI SV.:(

This is some terrific shooting! Those boltie CZs have a great reputation. I am starting to cast an envious eye at the new 455 American. It's a beautiful rifle, and from the looks of things it will be a tack-driving sonuvagun.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
This is some terrific shooting! Those boltie CZs have a great reputation. I am starting to cast an envious eye at the new 455 American. It's a beautiful rifle, and from the looks of things it will be a tack-driving sonuvagun.
Thanks. I'm really enjoying it. I have to see what it will do at 100 yards. That 597 looks like a sweet shooter too, with the mods you have made. A good friend of mine has one, it's stock though, he hasn't made any modifications. I'm trying to get him to bring it out to the range. That's an interesting idea of "bedding" with aluminum foil tape.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts