Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Held this gun today and was pleasantly surprised at how nice it felt. It's a pocket sized 9mm with a DA/SA striker-fired pin. In SA mode there is a looong travel but it could be a pretty good pocket gun. I went in to look at the Ruger LCP. I know that's the pocket gun of choice but I think I like the Taurus better.

Anyone have experience with this gun? If you have, how is it?

·
Registered
111 Posts
The ruger lcp trigger pull sucks I fired one at a range and hated it lol. It was double my Sa xd 45

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've carried the Taurus PT709 Slim for about a year and a half. During that time I've probably shot about 600 rounds through it without any problems at all. All in all, I like the gun and would highly recommend it. In fact, two people who have tried mine liked it so much, they bought one themselves for CCW.

The trigger does have a lot of travel, but I've become accustomed to it.

BTW, I carry it in the Crossbreed Supertuck holster.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The wife has one that hasn't given us any issues. 9mm is WAY cheaper than 380acp, and more effective at stopping threats.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I strongly considered it and shot it when I bought my PF9. Nice gun. Had LOTS of problems early on, but all reports say that those have all long since been ironed out via redesigns. The PF9 had the same story. I think it took a bit for manufacturers to accustom themselves to the nuances of designing a 9mm in a near-380 size.

For me, I wanted a true mouse gun 9mm, since i already have a G26 for EDC. I didn't feel the 709 was enough smaller than my G26 to get really excited about adding it to the collection. The PF9 fit the bill. I also didn't like the way my hand fit the safety, didn't feel like I could make it automatic as it just wasn't in the instinctual place I reached for it.

Agreed, I don't trust the .380, the pocket 9mm is the way to go. If the 709 fits you well, I wouldn't have any problem trusting my life to it. The recoil is better in the 709 than the PF9, but still don't expect to be able to shoot 500 rounds through it in one sitting. With any decent load they sure do wear out your gun hand.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I bought my Slim off an XD forum member. Love it, w/the exception of them all firing low and to the left. I was able to adjust my sights to fix the problem. My wife had the LCP and I like my slim better any day. I have it in my pocket as I type.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought my Slim off an XD forum member. Love it, w/the exception of them all firing low and to the left. I was able to adjust my sights to fix the problem. My wife had the LCP and I like my slim better any day. I have it in my pocket as I type.
I had the same problem, not only with my Taurus, but with my XDm 9mm. After reading this forum for a while, I came across several threads wherein this topic was discussed. I found a nice PDF download that graphically displays why shots go where they go (not enough trigger finger, too much trigger finger, etc.). I worked on fixing my grip, and I no longer shoot low and left.

Search the forum for topics such as "accuracy" and you'll find them. Happy and safe shooting!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts