Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with Taurus Model 94 revolvers? I have a friend who's looking at picking one up. I know taurus doesn't have a good reputation but this is going to be strictly a range gun/plinker for a new shooter and this will be his first gun. He is looking at it because he's got a thing for revolvers and its the right price. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
I haven't used a 94, but my 85 is awesome. I have no problems with it as a carry gun. I'd think the 94 would be a great gun for a plinker

·
Registered
125 Posts
A little over a year ago I bought a NEW 941 Taurus.
That was the worst gun I ever bought. It was sent back to Taurus for repairs of which they only did half of. And they sent my NEW gun back with dents and a mared up finish.

I will NEVER, EVER buy another Taurus again!:evil:

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
just a note, my Taurus is over 20 years old, that may have something to do with it working well

·
Registered
125 Posts
I should of noted that I do have three other, older Taurus weapons. They work fine.

So, untill Taurus quality control get's their heads out of their butts, I suggest you look at another brand.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I have one and I"ll never have another. Mine has less than 500 rounds through it and has been back to Taurus for a timing problem. The trigger pull is LONG and HEAVY, it's also gritty.

To the contrary, I also have a S&W 317 that's a honey! I can't say enough good about it! Save the money and pop for that one.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I own a Taurus 94 for the sole fact that it was the only reasonably-priced DA 22 revolver out there.

The trigger is indeed heavy in DA and gritty, but a bit of gunsmith time can work out the grittiness. For about $40 or so, I had mine worked over and now it is smooth, but heavy.

That being said, the trigger seems to be the gun's only shortcoming. It is accurate and the SA pull isn't too bad.

It is certainly not a S&W 17, but it is not priced that way, either.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Looks like you can get the Ruger SP101 8-shot .22 for $500 on gunbroker. Yeah, it costs more than a Taurus, but it's a Ruger.
Aye, but the Ruger wasn't around a couple years back when I got the Taurus. Methinks it may be time for an upgrade? :cool:

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
Aye, but the Ruger wasn't around a couple years back when I got the Taurus. Methinks it may be time for an upgrade? :cool:
Yeah they made it in 6 shot until 2003, but they were somewhat scarce. They just released the new one a couple weeks ago.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
I had a bought a taurus and was warned by the dealer I bought it from that the taurus guns shave lead. I didnt believe him and bought the taurus, as I fond out the hard way by not listening mine shot fine for the 1st 50 or so rounds , then it started to shave lead a bit and as time went on it shaved bigger and bigger chunks of lead untill finally I had a sliver of lead pierce my jacket and poke me. I promptly sold the gun and was kicking myself for not buying a smith!

·
Premium Member
8,308 Posts
I have a Taurus 94, most troublesome gun I've ever owned.
Had to send it to Taurus 2X in the first year for work.
I finally did some home smiting and got the trigger smooth.
It shoots well now, but man, what a pain in the ass to get it there.
My advice, buy a Smith or Ruger and forgo the Taurus.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a Taurus 94, most troublesome gun I've ever owned.
Had to send it to Taurus 2X in the first year for work.
I finally did some home smiting and got the trigger smooth.
It shoots well now, but man, what a pain in the ass to get it there.
My advice, buy a Smith or Ruger and forgo the Taurus.
Yep, my trouble gun was a 941. Piece of junk. I fixed it myself.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts