Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a weak moment at the Gun show last week and picked up a Taurus Judge, have been interested in one for some time. Got a chance to take it to the range today and fire it off, it shoots 45 colt or a 4.10 shotgun shell the 45 colt ammo sure lets out a cloud of smoke. It seems to fire pretty good...the first three shots I fired did not produce any holes in the target :( but once I got the sights figured out a nice tight pattern emerged, I look forward to getting to know this weapon better.

·
Registered
253 Posts
From what I've read, it seems that many people don't like them. I do, and I'll have one some day! I think it would be the best snake gun. For now, I've been using CCI shot shells in 9/40/45. Post pictures if you pattern the 410 shells.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
The Judge is the Steve Urkle of handguns, it's just a joke and a gimmick. Any other wheel gun would have served better. They do make shotshells for pistols you know, and you can put them in a higher quality and non-ridiculous handgun.
I got a bridge I could sell you if you're so inclined:mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
The Judge is featured in the movie, "Max Payne" in theaters now.
Actually just rent it when it comes out on DVD, the movie wasn't too good :(

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Dad has one...a 4" stainless version.

With 45 Colt loads, it is actually fairly accurate. However, unless you handload....who can afford to shoot much 45 Colt anymore?

With a 2.5" 410, its marginal on snakes and not much good for anything else. I blasted a raccoon three times with #6 shot to kill him. The third time was from about 3 feet away. Not exactly a good stopper. The snakes also did not die right away. With my SxS 20 gauge, I can usually cap a raccoon or snake with #4 shot from the full choke barrel very easily. The Judge's stopping power was VERY lacking!

The 2.5 inch 410ga shell is about worthless, if you ask me. It is also very hard to find #4 shot in 2.5" 410 shells. The 3 inch 410 shell is adequate for squirrels and rabbits if you have #4 shot on a full choke, but I was never impressed with the 2.5" 410 shell and the Judge only takes 2.5" 410 shells. To cap varmints quickly, you need all the pellets you can get out of a 410 and you need at least #4 sized shot.

I prefer a 20 gauge with #4 lead shot for capping snakes....not the 410, unless there is no other choice.

So yes...I think the Judge is a very limited use gun. Not overall a bad gun...just very limited in what it can do and very expensive to shoot in 45 Colt.

- brickboy240

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I love mine and as I have posted before, its main use is self defense.... And while I will admit that the use for this weapon is specific, I am comfortable with it. The use that we have for this weapon is a ocean front condo that has 19 other units in it and overpenetration is my major concern. I patterned it with #6, #4, and some 000 buck {3 pellets}. At the SD range that I would be shooting inside the condo, the #4 patterned fine and I would not want to be on the wrong end of that load. Plus there is minimal overpenetration and being located in a warmer climate, there is not the worry about heavy clothing to penetrate thru. While I agree that my XD 45 or the Kahr 9mm would be better stoppers, I am comfortable with the Judge and the #4 .410 shells.... And for the heck of it, the last load is a 45lc...:).

Woof
Bowser

·
Registered
815 Posts
ive almost bought one at a gun show this past weekend but instead got a sweet OD g19. when i got home i really kicked myself for even thinking about getting a judge. i got an 870 for tree rats and snakes. myabe if it was about 100 bucks cheaper id pick one up. but it was more expensive than my glock and i think we can all agree glock has a better rep. than taurus.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
There are MUCH better things to lanch 45 Colt ammo from.

Colt Single Action Army (or clone...Uberti, USFA, Beretta Stampede)

Ruger Vaquero or Blackhawk

Smith & Wesson Model 24

....if you HAVE to shoot 45 Colt...these are really the way to go.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
20 Posts
The Judge is made for a very specific purpose, close range shots. I wouldn't want to be shot with either the 410 load or .45 Long Colt from eight feet away. Would any of you?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I have a real soft spot for the 410 and the 410 slug specifically. Out of a normal shotgun length barrel the 410 slug is significantly more cartridge than a 45 Colt out of a handgun.

mcb's 410 web page index

Now that said I suspect out of the short barrel on the judge (especially the 3 inch barrel as opposed to the 6.5inch barrel) the 410 slug is going to loose some serious velocity and thus energy. It would be interesting to see if it had less then a 45 Colt. I would love to know if someone has chronographed buckshot and/or slugs out of a judge and what those velocities were.

Taurus has also released a new version of the judge chamber for 3 inch 410 shells (along with 2.5 inch shell and 45 Colt). More info on the 3-inch chamberd Judges. This opens up a lot more options. With 3 inch chambers you have the option to shoot the heavier 11/16oz shot loads in 3-inch shotshells. This also allows the use of the many steel hull Russian 410 ammunition. Barnual loads a nice buckshot load with five #4 buckshot pellets in it. Sellior and Bellot and Winchester both load 3 inch 410 shells with five 00 buckshot pellets. That 25 00 buchshot pellets launched with five pulls of the trigger. And best Brenneke loads one of there hybrid foster slugs in a 3 inch 410 shell. Form my testing the best slug available for the 410. I would be interested to see how these loads perform in the new version of the Judge.

I like the Box O' Truth a lot but that article on the Judge was pretty bad in some ways.

First modifying 3 inch 410 buckshot to make 2.5 inch buck shot is not a fair test. The powder charge was probably no where near optimal for the much lighter payload. Not to mention Sellier and Bellots 2.5 inch buckshot load is three 000 pellets not three 00 pellots.

Also he only test the Remington 410 Slugger. Of all the commercially available 410 slugs the Remington Slugger is the lightest slug (96gr) with one of the lowest muzzle energy of any of the 2.5 inch slugs. Also the construction of Remington slugger with the use of shot buffer as a filler really will hurt velocity in a revolver where that buffer can get pushed out between the cylinder and barrel reducing pressure. I would have like to see them test the Federal slugs. The Federal Slug uses a one piece gas seal and spacer and is 109gr slug. I suspect it would have performed much better out of the Judge.

Rambling
mcb

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I plan on doing a little rabbit, duck and other various game hunting (Winchester SX3) in snake territory in the next couple of weeks. Will see if i get a chance to use it for a snake encounter, one comment on reading a ton of posts about this weapon. Personally I would not use it for a defense weapon my XD-40 fills that need, and I think it might be an effective car jack deterrent device but stopping power seems to be lacking...still I would not want to be in front of it at a range of 3-5 feet as either rounds loaded should be fairly effective. Also picked up bulk colt ammo at the gun show at a good price so it will get a workout.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts