Springfield XD Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys. I currently live in PA and am moving to back home to CA in July. I've been debating buying a Taurus Judge before I leave. I have talked to the proper people in California I can legally bring it with me to California as long as I do the proper paper work and pay the fees.

The Taurus would be a night stand gun and a snake gun. (we have lots of rattlers and a curious puppy)

So any thoughts? Pros and cons?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
You'll hear good and bad. I have the 3" magnum and really like it. Put a set of CT grips on it and keep it on my night stand. Shoots great and pretty accurate at 7 yds. It's not a target pistol, and for what you want it for, it should work just fine.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Useless gimmick gun don't waste you time on it that is unless your going to use it on snakes and other small varmints.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had a judge 2" for a total of about 2 days. I hated it that much. I bought it for a snake gun, but I had better luck shooting shotshells. It wasn't accurate at all. Peeved me...some like them tho, just not for me i guess.

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
I don't have one but my friends dad does and I have fired it a bit. its not mine and I don't know exactly what his is but it seems like the bigger one of the ones I have seen.

I don't hate it. its fun to shoot I enjoy the novelty of it. makes you feel like dirty harry, "you talking to me PUNKin?" *boom pie guts everywhere*

there is a long long list of firearms I personally would rather own before I would spend money on one unless I was getting a REALLY good deal on one.

like if my friends dad was selling his for cheap with his stash of ammo I might go for it.

its fun. maybe functional as long as you don't ask it to do what its not intended to do.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Seems like they'd make a good close range self-defense gun. I've looked into getting one. I know I'd hate to get hit with one of those new .410 self-defense loads.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
What agalindo said. We've talked about it here before. Also, check out some of the more "mainstream" gun forums (not tied to a particular make or style of firearm). You'll get a pretty good idea of how worthless they are.

there was a "box-o-truth" review that pretty much confirmed the suspicions of most people

The Box O' Truth #41 - The Taurus Judge Vs. The Box O' Truth - Page 1

as a .45 colt gun, it's pretty inaccurate. as a .410 gun, it's pretty pointless.

IMO.

·
Registered
204 Posts
had one not crazy about it.hard to get 45 long colt ammo for it.not to thrilled about shooting 410 shells.if its for shooting snakes then bring it.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
They are pretty fun to try and bust hand thrown clays with. .45 colt is the only sufficiently penetrating load from it, and it is about the least impressive .4 caliber round there is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It seems to be pretty much only for snakes and maybe having a little fun out at the range. Which is what I wanted it for. I can't buy it in California so I need to make a decision soon... And 450 seems like a good price.

·
Registered
205 Posts
great ranch/farm gun, and to some degree a trail gun. other than that, just something cool to own.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well I hope its good, since I pick up my Judge Ultralite 20.7 oz stainless Friday. Just picked it up for a outdoors type gun, no snakes, just shooting. All other venues require my SA .40 SC

·
Premium Member
127,260 Posts
I tried one at the range and didn't care for it at all.

·
Registered
17,488 Posts
I tried one at the range and didn't care for it at all.
My experience as well. A guy there had one and let me shoot a few rounds. I wouldn't buy one. For snakes I would rather use a regular small .410 shotgun.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I had a judge 2" for a total of about 2 days. I hated it that much. I bought it for a snake gun, but I had better luck shooting shotshells. It wasn't accurate at all. Peeved me...some like them tho, just not for me i guess.
Confirms my suspicions about them. Gimmicky.

·
Registered
29,619 Posts
It's a useless range toy often touted as a "great defensive weapon" by people who don't understand terminal ballistics.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
It's a useless range toy often touted as a "great defensive weapon" by people who don't understand terminal ballistics.
OR
envision themselves being attacked by watermelons.

·
Registered
179 Posts
+1.
I don't know why people keep overlooking that they make 38 shotshells...

Get yourself a 4 or 6 inch 357, keep a box of the 38 shotshells if you think you might run into snakes, etc...

I have a friend who carries one as his EDC. Facepalm... :confused:

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Yea he thinks that if he makes the guy say ouch, he'll start crying and not want to play anymore.

1 - 20 of 177 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.