Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Taurus may not have the greatest name but my wife has a 92 and it's a great pistol. She shot it competitively and is pretty darn good. But I'm also very good with this gun.

No personal experience with Baretta.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
The Beretta 92 also comes in their Inox finish, aka satin stainless. Not to bash Taurus, but they have had issues in the past with cracked frames. I don't recall which models and years of manufacture were more susceptible to this problem, but it would be enough for me to shy away from one.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Beretta 92 also comes in their Inox finish, aka satin stainless. Not to bash Taurus, but they have had issues in the past with cracked frames. I don't recall which models and years of manufacture were more susceptible to this problem, but it would be enough for me to shy away from one.

Problem is does the inox finish come on the 92a1 ?

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
"Inox" only refers to not rusting, the Inox has a SS slide and barrel but the frame is the same alloy as the rest of the 92 line.

·
Registered
29,831 Posts
I've owned both.

The Taurus is long gone, and won't be replaced. My 92FS is a keeper, and will likely be joined by a M9A1 which will make a trip to Wilson Combat.

Get the Beretta.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I've owned both.

The Taurus is long gone, and won't be replaced. My 92FS is a keeper, and will likely be joined by a M9A1 which will make a trip to Wilson Combat.

Get the Beretta.
I just ordered a 92A1 that that I'm hoping to give the "Wilson treatment" in the near future.
+1 on the Beretta

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
This is something I wrote a while back:

I have a Beretta Inox (Italian, all metal), a Beretta M9A1, a Beretta 92FS Compact as well as a Taurus 2-tone PT92 and a stainless PT917CS.

Beretta
The fit and finish on the Inox is just perfect in every way. The action, trigger, etc. is super smooth and . . . well, just perfect. For the M9A1, there are some minor machine/swirl marks on the slide near the muzzle end, but the action and trigger are perfect and likewise super smooth. The Beretta 92FS Compact is perfect. The SA trigger on all is crisp/clean and I'm uber accurate with any. The action likewise is as if on ball-bearings, i.e. - smooth. As far as aethetics, I prefer the finish of the Inox over the Taurus bling. I really don't care for the mirror finish on the Taurus PT917 frame.

Taurus
For the price, the Taurus is an excellent buy, but the actions on the ones I've bought were not as smooth. For the PT92, retracting the slide initially was a little rough and two hundred rounds later had the top of the front guide rail (?) anodizing removed. Not just the corner, but the entire top. The slide motion is now smooth. The SA trigger isn't as light as the Beretta and takes a little more effort, but nothing training can't take care. Just takes a little more effort to get an accurate shot.

The PT917 was initially bulging cases because the recoil spring was too light and therefore unlocking too soon. No biggy. The barrel pivot area for the locking block was very rough with machine marks and digging/scoring into the locking block. Changed for a Beretta Centurion barrel and Beretta locking block. The SA trigger was horrendous. I'm talking probably around 9 pounds to break. Taking everything apart, found a big old hump on the top of the sear like a glob of metal on the top that engaged the hammer. Removed with a stone and then buffed. Now the SA is crisp, but still a little heavy. The last item is that the PT917 is the only pistol I have that has a preference for ammo. With 115gr ammo, it shoots low and to the left. With 147gr or 124gr +P, it shoots to POA.

I can only go by what I've experienced. With the Berettas, the pistols were smooth and ready to go from the very beginning. Refined is the word that comes to mind. The Taurus PT92 needed a little break-in to smooth out the action which resulted in the anodizing being removed (thereby exposing the softer metal) and the PT917 flat-out needed work. The triggers and action are still better on the Berettas, but rounds down range can help the Taurus. I'll need to reopen the PT917 to improve the SA, but it'll work for now. If not wanting to tinker with a gun, then the Beretta is the way to go (safeties aside). If willing to put in some time, effort, ammo, etc., then the Taurus is the way to go (again, safeties aside).
The PT917CS is long gone and was traded towards a NiBX Glock 19.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
You will pay more for the Beretta, but you will completely understand why. Quality pistol!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I own a 92 AFS and have had zero problems. Enjoy shooting it a lot.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
I believe the Taurus PT92 is steel framed, while the Beretta M92 and derivatives are alloy. The Taurus has a frame mounted safety, while the Beretta is mounted on the slide.

A Taurus would likely make for a very fun pistol as a base for modifications. :)

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I will only say that I prefer the Taurus pistol's safety to the Beretta's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Beretta, but I will say that Taurus did manage to do a good job on this one.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Beretta if only for the ease of getting Magazines from what I have read on the Taurus forum they do not share mags.
According to the Beretta 2014 catalog the 92FS does come in the INOX finish.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
For the same money a eea witness match elite can be had.

By the way Davidson's gallery of guns has the inox finish full size 92 in stock.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The Taurus PT-92 has a forged aircraft aluminum frame. They are made on Beretta machinery sold to Taurus in 1980. There have been a few mode since then, most notably the frame mounted safety. I own a PT-92 AFS and love it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts