1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
I'd like to have one.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
My girlfriends brother called me asking how much his little 85 was worth and I told him he could get around 280 out of it. He sld it to some guy he knows for 150.00, I wish he would have told me FIRST!

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Excellent (cheaper) alternative to the snubby S&W guns! I have one for my wife in .32 H&R Magnum, and I've been contemplating one for myself in .38 SPL.

I put Hogue grips and Wolf springs on/in the Wife's, and it shoots like a champ.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have a 605, works well so far, not too bad to shoot +P through. The 85UL is going to be 10oz less. Could be a handufl. If that's not going to be a problem, go for it.

HKS j-frame speedloaders don't clear the stock Taurus grip, and S&W J-frame grips don't work on Taurus. Hogue's an option. Otherwise, pretty much anything for a J-frame will work with the Taurus small frame.

Taurus has a reputation for indifferent customer support

·
Premium Member
9,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Excellent (cheaper) alternative to the snubby S&W guns! I have one for my wife in .32 H&R Magnum, and I've been contemplating one for myself in .38 SPL.

I put Hogue grips and Wolf springs on/in the Wife's, and it shoots like a champ.
Sounds sweet.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
I have the Ultra-lite in titanium and it's great. Cheaper than a Smith and every bit as reliable.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I teach a concealed carry class and I've seen quite a few Taurus Model 85-series snubbies; they are an economical alternative to an S&W J-frame.

I bought two last year - an 850CIA (concealed hammer) in stainless for myself and an 851BUL (Blue Ultralight, shrouded hammer) for my spouse. I prefer a concealed or shrouded hammer for carry, as it is less likely to snag on clothing.

They have been used many times are are reliable weapons, but suffer from the same things all J-frame types do - lack of muzzle energy. That being said, I would not want to be shot w/one! My favorite load is the Remington 158-gr. +P lead HP (all the modern Taurus .38's are approved for +P ammunition).

Be advised - most leather & nylon holsters that fit the S&W's will also accomodate the Taurus 5-shooters, but NOT the Kydex Serpa holsters from Blackhawk. For pocket concealment look at the DeSantis Pocket Nemesis or the Bianchi Pocket Change (larger of the two pocket holsters).

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I have the Ultra-lite in titanium and it's great. Cheaper than a Smith and every bit as reliable.
+1, it is a really great gun for the price. Mine is my usual summer carry.

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
I almost bought one of those, and truth be told, I'll probably end up buying one. They are great little guns.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I almost bought the Taurus 85 too but the day I was at the gun store looking at it the S&W 642 was on sale and it was only $70 more than the 85. But if it wasn't for the low price of the S&W I would have gotten the Taurus.

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
I own one, and it's the shlt.

·
Registered
603 Posts
My father has one, it's nice. I have a S&W 642... I prefer mine, he prefers his. :) Either way, you can't go wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
i was back and forth on Taurus

wanted a shrouded hammer or hammerless

asked my local guy to find one for me spent two weeks checking suppliers not luck

bought this but it was a bit more money:shock:

·
Registered
152 Posts
I always wanted a snubbie for my BUG and my wife just bought me one for Christmas. S&W 442 38 Spl +P. She is a great wife as in the past she has bought me my shotgun and my AR with an EOtech.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts