Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After shooting my Taurus 1911 last weekend I noticed that the muzzle end of the barrel is not cut a 90 degrees..it's slightly angled. I'm positive I would have noticed this when I bought it, could shooting the gun cause this at all? I would certainly hope not. It doesn't seem to affect accuracy, but at the same time, looks terrible. I know the gun has a lifetime repair policy, but I have heard that Taurus is terrible at quick turn time..2-3 months in some cases. I really can't wait that long as I have a local shoot in a few weeks. What are your suggestions. Thanks and sorry I don't know how to post pics.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
You mean the muzzle is crowned?unless im mistaken thats a common feature on some barrels and has no real effect on accuracy as far as cosmetic looks thats up to you but if you want it changed your gonna have to buy a drop in barrel..i say just leave it as their is nothing wrong with it

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, kind of hard to describe, but if looking down at the barrel from the top of the slide, the end angles slightly from left to right. I tried taking pictures, but they don't turn out very well.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
is it angled from the outside going inwards on the barrel or are you sayin the end of the barrel wasnt cut straight? flush if you will

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The end of the barrel wasn't cut straight...so not flush. Like if you take a miter saw and cut a 2 x 4 at an angle...instead of at 90 degrees.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
hmm ok now that is odd i've never seen that.. well depending on how much its off i wld say the effect of this on accuracy shldn't be too bad id say honestly tk it to a local gunsmith and have him take a look at it he man be able to file it down properly and you wldnt have to wait as long or deal with taurus's poor customer service. shouldnt cost much either. only other thing to do is buy a new drop in barrel or wait the time it wld take to get if replaced by the factory

·
Registered
341 Posts
The end of the barrell should be turned and polished in the mfg. process. If it were improperly chucked it would either not clean up, or be shorter because it would take alot more material off to clean up the surface. Trying putting a square on it to see if it really is off.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Checked it with a square and it slants from the right to the left...even had my wife look at it to make sure it wasn't me, she said, "geez, who cut that."

·
Registered
212 Posts
Depending on how much the bbl. extends from the bushing, you should be able to take it to a local smith, and have him cut & recrown it. A local shop here will do that for $35. If you want quick turnaround, that would be the easiest & cheapest.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You will have to let me know if your's has the same issue...like I said, I can't believe I didn't notice it sooner, but who would think a barrel wasn't cut at 90 degrees. As far as taking it to a smith, not sure there is enough sticking out for them to do that, although it is worth a try.

I did call Taurus CS and they said send it in, didn't even act surprised...just another day at the Taurus factory. They told me turn around was 4-6 weeks.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I inspected mine and no problem. I also don't see how your barrell could be noticable off, for several reasons:

1. The land width of the barrel end is so small that I don't think the naked eye could see squareness.
2. Mine had an uneven champher on the I.D. of the barrel, as well as the O.D has a small champher.
3. If you used a square and held it to the entire lenght of the barrell I understand how this would look out of square.
4. The bushing end of the barrell is .003 larger then the rest of the barrel, holding the square just to the 3/8 bushing contact area would be the correct way to check it.

Just a few things to check before you send your gun off.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is what I did...looking down at the barrel (from the top of the slide)sticking out from the bushing, the right side extends farther than the left side. It's probably only 1/32" or so, but if you saw it in person, even barrel along you can see it right away.

·
Registered
341 Posts
If you look down the barrel (yes, gun unloaded, and out of slide) do you see the ID Champher? Does it look like the champher is not equal on the circumference of the ID? Same with the OD.

The only way what your describing could happen is that the front of the barrel was not faced when turning the bushing diameter. The barrel is a forging, thus it needs to be turned, faced, and machined.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm taking it to the gun smith tomorrow to see what he thinks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts