Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so what does everyone do for targets?
right now im getting back into shooting.. i would love to go to the range every day but i cant afford that.

so i am trying to reduce costs..
i have my own ears and eyes, but paying 50 cents per target at the range is too much..

what do u use?
how big to u use... im always a lil weary on using small targets would hate to hit the hanging rig :)

i guess i could print my own 8x11?
is it too small?
normal paper ok to use?

thanks all

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just print out my own 8.5 X 11 paper targets on regular paper. www.mytargets.com is good. Also a site called the realoading bench offers some that I like. Though you can just google "printable targets" and get a plethora of sites.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
BeardXXXd said:
so what does everyone do for targets?
right now im getting back into shooting.. i would love to go to the range every day but i cant afford that.

so i am trying to reduce costs..
i have my own ears and eyes, but paying 50 cents per target at the range is too much..

what do u use?
how big to u use... im always a lil weary on using small targets would hate to hit the hanging rig :)

i guess i could print my own 8x11?
is it too small?
normal paper ok to use?

thanks all
Normal 8.5x11 paper is just fine. Do a google search for pistol target, you'll probably see this: http://www.reloadbench.com/pdf.html

Somebody here also had a link to a target site in their signature.... $.50 for a target at the range? Good grief--you're getting hosed. Best thing is to find one you like, print it, then go to a kinko's or something and run off a few hundred.

I've hit the hanger a few times. No problem--metal bends, and bends back!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
There ya go...

·
Registered
40 Posts
First, move to the country and then shoot on your own property!!!!!! Makes shooting so much more fun and convenient!! Second, just do what everyone says and print your own; I use old political sign frams and just throw them away when I damage them; also helps to have a tractor and build a large burm for a backstop!!!

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Ajamesp51 gave me this idea. Paper plates. They are the perfect size and you can get 150 of them ofr the same price at 12 targets at walmart. I tape them to cardboard boxes I get form a place I used to work, then I take thin strips of tape to make a cross or smiley face in the midle of the plate to give me something specific to aim at. Very fun and cheap!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
yeah, i've been using paper plates for years, but at first it was more of a "i can't find anything else to shoot" thing that my thinking it was a good idea.

·
Registered
13 Posts
next time I'm out at my buddy's farm I'm bringing a few text books from the law school I USE to go to...probably wrap them in a sweat shirt from the bastards

It's gonna be a great stress release putting a few 147gr JHP through those books......then a few 12ga 00 bucks to finish it off :)

-XD-Ro-
"former law student"

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
reminds me of our attempt to build a capture box for rifle rounds. We stacked a bunch of telephone books in an old rifle crate and shot into the end of it through the faces of the books. At 50 yds, an sks round will penetrate more than the 16 telephone yellow pages we had available at the time. :twisted:

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
I have a box of tractor style computer paper about 12 to 14 inches thick. Will that stop a .40cal at 15 yards?

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Paper plates are good, cheap targets. You can get them in a variety of sizes (11 inch, 6 inch, etc). If you need an aiming point, pick up a package of self adhesive "dots" at an office supply store--come in various sizes and colors. And clothes pins, wooden or plastic, can be used as targets hangers with a little creativity.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I'VE HAD VERY GOOD LUCK WITH JUST USING THE NEIGHBORS' STRAY ANIMALS
THEY'RE FREE TO USE AND BEST OF ALL THEY'RE MOVING TARGETS
I'VE GOT MY EYES SET ON A PAIR OF HORSES NEXT DOOR :twisted:

I'LL SHOW THE LIL @#$! FOR PUTTIN PAW PRINTS ON MY TRUCK

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I just took an 8.5 x 11 target I liked to work and copy it all I want using their paper and their copier :wink: Nothing better than free.

Also, to me anything is a target. Pop cans, milk jugs, bottles, or anything else you were going to throw away.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
03RangerXLT said:
I have a box of tractor style computer paper about 12 to 14 inches thick. Will that stop a .40cal at 15 yards?
Took an avon box (probably 20 inches deep) full of JCPenny catalogs and good housekeeping magazines all stuffed in tight as they could go and I a 357 couldn't penetrate half of it so i'd say the box of paper will do the same with the 40

·
Registered
266 Posts
For rifles and .22s I like to shoot plastic spoons. Just stick the handle in the ground and have fun. I suppose you could try this with your hand gun also, but I'm not that good of shot. :lol:

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
87-51 said:
For rifles and .22s I like to shoot plastic spoons. Just stick the handle in the ground and have fun. I suppose you could try this with your hand gun also, but I'm not that good of shot. :lol:
The clods of dirt my .40s would kick up form missing would probably knock the sppon over lol

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I buy my form Law Enforcement Targets, www.letargets.com. You can choose from many types and styles. They have the standard law enforcement training and qualification targets for most locales and also carry the Federal Agency targets. Also available are training dummy guns and other gear.

For standard practice I use a T-21 bullseye target. For defensive practice I use a BLEA-2 training targe, B-27t or a B-21. For plate practice I shoot the DEA-DOT targets.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Paper plates, telephone books or just about anything paper is good inside. Outside, I use 3" clay pigeons, tomatoes, watermelons, soda cans, or paper targets if i'm not feeling inventive.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts