Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
taper on any cartridge that headspaces on the front edge of the caseing.

·
Registered
968 Posts
The only rounds that NEED to be roll crimped are those for a heavy recoiling revolver.

·
Premium Member
22,590 Posts
If the process is done right, most of the time you don't need a factory crimp die. If you have a choice in the crimp dies then go with the taper crimp. The case won't chamber correctly with a roll crimp.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks , for the info looks like the taper will be a good choice. I will be reloading for a XDM 40 .mostly for the enjoyment it's hard to save with factory components

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I am not even sure die manuf make roll crimp seaters for semiauto rounds. They always taper crimp, always.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
I am not even sure die manuf make roll crimp seaters for semiauto rounds. They always taper crimp, always.
Do you consider .45ACP to be a semiauto round? Roll crimp dies are certainly available for .45ACP.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Do you consider .45ACP to be a semiauto round? Roll crimp dies are certainly available for .45ACP.
Only the ones desined to load both apc & ar rounds. It's not the right crimp for the acp, or any other semiauto. Can you load proper ammo w/ such dies, sure, but it requires a bit more care.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Only the ones desined to load both apc & ar rounds. It's not the right crimp for the acp, or any other semiauto. Can you load proper ammo w/ such dies, sure, but it requires a bit more care.
Pretty sure that .45ACP revolvers exist, and that the proper crimp for their ammo is roll-crimping. The only other semi-auto rounds that I'd roll crimp would be the handgun bottlenecks. (That's why I bought a canneluring tool.)

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Pretty sure that .45ACP revolvers exist, and that the proper crimp for their ammo is roll-crimping. The only other semi-auto rounds that I'd roll crimp would be the handgun bottlenecks. (That's why I bought a canneluring tool.)
Yes, 45acp rev do exist, but run quite well on a taper crimp. I've thought abotu roll crimping the 357sig, but get it setup right, it runs fine on a taper crimp too. Proper neck tension always beats any crimp style for holding a bullet in place.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Yes, 45acp rev do exist, but run quite well on a taper crimp. I've thought abotu roll crimping the 357sig, but get it setup right, it runs fine on a taper crimp too. Proper neck tension always beats any crimp style for holding a bullet in place.
The problem with attaining"proper neck tension" with .357 Sig is the paucity of neck bearing surface. If I reloaded for .357 Sig, I'd probably cannelure my bullets and roll-crimp into the cannelure.

After an unpleasant case of setbackitis when reloading .400 Cor-Bon, and on the advice of Peter Pi, Prez of Cor-Bon, I began canneluring and roll-crimping all the handgun bottleneck rounds that I loaded.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
The problem with attaining"proper neck tension" with .357 Sig is the paucity of neck bearing surface. If I reloaded for .357 Sig, I'd probably cannelure my bullets and roll-crimp into the cannelure.

After an unpleasant case of setbackitis when reloading .400 Cor-Bon, and on the advice of Peter Pi, Prez of Cor-Bon, I began canneluring and roll-crimping all the handgun bottleneck rounds that I loaded.
I have worked my Dillon dies to produce really good 357sig ammo, but have thought about roll crimping & a cannelure, but if I don't have to, I don't really want the extra duty involved in canneluring bullets.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
I have worked my Dillon dies to produce really good 357sig ammo, but have thought about roll crimping & a cannelure, but if I don't have to, I don't really want the extra duty involved in canneluring bullets.
Does add tedium to the process! :???:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts