Springfield XD Forum banner

Talons Grips on your XD/XDm

7K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  15shot 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I have Powder River Precision rubber grips on my XDsc and Talon rubber grips on my XDs. The PRP grips are a major pain to install because they come as several individual pieces that you have to finish cutting out where the Talon grips come as one piece already completely cut out. Quality wise I can't tell any difference once the grips are installed. The PRP grips are slightly cheaper than the Talon grips but the ease or installation makes the Talon grips a better choice in my opinion.

As for the sand grips vs the rubber grips it depends on what the main use of the gun will be. For a gun that will be carried the rubber is strongly recommended. If the gun is strictly a home defense or range gun the sand might be a better option. The sand grips will catch on clothing and make carrying the gun very uncomfortable. The sand will give you more grip than the rubber grips.

#4 ·
I have Powder River Precision rubber grips on my XDsc and Talon rubber grips on my XDs. The PRP grips are a major pain to install because they come as several individual pieces that you have to finish cutting out where the Talon grips come as one piece already completely cut out. Quality wise I can't tell any difference once the grips are installed. The PRP grips are slightly cheaper than the Talon grips but the ease or installation makes the Talon grips a better choice in my opinion.

As for the sand grips vs the rubber grips it depends on what the main use of the gun will be. For a gun that will be carried the rubber is strongly recommended. If the gun is strictly a home defense or range gun the sand might be a better option. The sand grips will catch on clothing and make carrying the gun very uncomfortable. The sand will give you more grip than the rubber grips.
Ill be using them on my IDPA guns.

What do you think would be best?

#5 ·
You know i love my talon grips! If you are planning on putting them on your idpa gun, I would assume the sand paper would/could grab on your cover garment, Something to consider.
Which set do you have on your gun that I shoot?

#7 ·
If the install time does not bother you I would recommend the PRP sand grips as you get more pieces plus all the leftover material that you can use for other little areas that need grip.

I am a little bit OCD so the PRP grips drove me crazy trying to get all the little pieces straight. After installing the PRP grips the Talons were a breeze to install. What ever grips you decide upon I would recommend the sand (granulate) texture since these will be used in competition.

Here is a thread that I started comparing the two grips with pictures.
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/sa-xd-xd-m-accessories/257187-prp-grip-tape-vs-talon-grip-tape.html

#8 ·
#9 ·
If the install time does not bother you I would recommend the PRP sand grips as you get more pieces plus all the leftover material that you can use for other little areas that need grip.

I am a little bit OCD so the PRP grips drove me crazy trying to get all the little pieces straight. After installing the PRP grips the Talons were a breeze to install. What ever grips you decide upon I would recommend the sand (granulate) texture since these will be used in competition.

Here is a thread that I started comparing the two grips with pictures.
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/sa-xd-xd-m-accessories/257187-prp-grip-tape-vs-talon-grip-tape.html
Nice review and pics

#10 ·
I use the rubber Talon grips on my XDM 5.25 comp. Holding up great. I do not care for the gritty sand type, too abrasive for me. I use them on my carry Shield as well. Proper prep and install are key... be patient but not difficult. A hairdryer makes a big difference in getting them contoured properly.

#12 ·
Very nice

#13 ·
I put the rubber Talon grips on my XDm and my XDs. It made a huge difference in the feel of the gun in my hand. I don't think I could stand the feel of the granulated ones. I hate the sound of sandpaper rubbing against something and that's what I think about when I think of those granulated grips.

#15 ·
I think ill end up ordering the rubber ones

#20 ·
i finally placed an order for the Talon grips.

XDm 5.25
XD 40
SHIELD

#21 ·
I love my Talon grips so much I want to cover all my silly wood, micarta, fossilized ivory, and stag horn stocks with em!*

*The above statement is completely false. The Talon grip tape IS very good for plastic pistolas...I use it on mine and like it very much. With proper prep, ie: CLEAN. And patience, they won't peel for a long, looong time. At under 20 bux a pop you could replace em every year or two and still be quite satisfied.

#22 ·
#23 ·
I ended up get one for my XDm 5.35, XD40 tactical and SHIELD. I wish I would of ordered them sooner

#25 ·
I bought my XDM .40 Compact with the rubber Talon grip on it, and it's starting to come off the backstrap pretty badly. However, the previous owner put the grip on, so I have no idea if he did it correctly or not... I will probably take the grip off, try it out, and probably end up ordering a new one since I do like the way it feels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.