Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at the SA custom shop booth yesterday at the NRA convention handling a tricked out XDM 5.25. Really nice trigger, as good maybe better than my TRP. I ask the lady behind the counter about it and she suggests I talk with the guy walking up to my side. I turn and there is Rod Leatham! After saying Hello, we spend the next 10-15 minuets talking about XD, XDM and 1911 triggers and their importance in competition shooting. He indicated that I could spend $150 for the best drop-in trigger kit and spend a a day or two getting it fitted and playing with the tune but I'll never get it more than 70-80% of the custom shop job for $195. I know I'm likely not a good enough shooter for it to make a difference, but heck my Saturday is worth more than the $45 difference; OK maybe a bit more with shipping. Stll, getting advice from Rod Leathan - well you got to take it.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Hah, that's pretty cool.

Now, if only we were Rob Leatham and the custom shop would drop everything to work on our pistols... :lol:

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
Drop in is the key......you send that same gun to Scott at Springer Precision or Daniel at PRP and let them work some magic and they can make you something that is second to none including the custom shop.

Funny thing is that the custom shop buys parts from these two. A drop in kit is not the same as a master working magic on your gun. Drop in kits give you a generic improvement, were a master will give you the magic.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Drop in is the key......you send that same gun to Scott at Springer Precision or Daniel at PRP and let them work some magic and they can make you something that is second to none including the custom shop.

Funny thing is that the custom shop buys parts from these two. A drop in kit is not the same as a master working magic on your gun. Drop in kits give you a generic improvement, were a master will give you the magic.
Exactly. What I took from our conversation is that I could do it myself and if I were competent I might realize 70-80% of what I could realize by sending it to a master XD smith. Plus sending to to Springer, PRP or the Custom Shop would insure that everything worked as it should along with any changes made to spring weights, etc.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
But if you do some simple things like polishing the striker, striker channel, sear to striker interface, which takes just a few minutes you can get a lot closer if not all the way there. But, you can also bugger up the parts if you change geometries. So, it's potentially great and potentially disastrous --> depending on operator skill !

The trigger kits are wonderful for reducing the length of the pull and reset, but the feel is determined by the surfaces that rub together.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts