Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some camping for the 4th after not going for a good 5 years. It was pretty apparent that camping technology has improved a lot in the 5 years since my gear was new.

I currently have a Walmart special "3" man dome tent that I have never really fit in. I am 6' 4" and approx 350 lbs and I have have to sleep diagonally to fully stretch out. I have only tried sleeping one other person in the tent with me and let's just say neither her nor I got much sleep that night... :twisted:

As for the sleeping bag and pad they are form Costco I believe but I'm not certain. The bag is an old style square bag that zips across the bottom and up on side. My biggest gripes are the size and weight when stored the bag itself is about 18-20" around when rolled up and the pad is probably 8-10". I also have to fight the bag all night to keep it zipped up which gets quite annoying. Also if the bag gets wet it takes FOREVER to dry out!!

I am not looking for super light weight back packing gear but I would like something lighter and more compact than the half a decade old stuff I have. I mainly foresee car camping several times a season in the woods of North Idaho. So a decent cold temperature rating is a plus. I am posting in this is the SHTF section because I am fan of multi-taskers so dual use equipment for camping and bug out would be a plus!

I've spent some time browsing at Cabeal's the other day and there are A LOT of options so any insight or suggestions would be appreciated

·
Registered
19,878 Posts
for a "pad" I use a mattress from a pull out sofa. hardly a small or light package, but a great deal more comfortable when there isn't a bar in the small of your back.

If you want light weight, pack-able comfort, you might want an air mattress. you'd have to decide what your personal durability to weight trade-off would be for that one. The ultimate in durability would be something like the inner mattress to a select comfort. It should be pretty easy to modify for a different pump or lung power.

nothing beats a down stuff sack sleeping bag for small, light and warm when it comes to a sleeping bag.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Here's a site you definitely want to check out, at REI.com

REI Expert Advice: Outdoor Adventure How To Articles and Videos

Loads and loads of info you can browse through, should really give you some good ideas as to what will fit your needs - - they're a little spendy at times, but their equipment is great and they offer lots of options.

Good luck, and enjoy the Idaho summer . . . . few years back, spent a couple years in Boise, and some time with a rafting company N of McCall!

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
I was given a tent/bag combo last year that I tried in febuary. The company is "sportz" by napier. It is a single person tent, two mummy sleeping bags, and two little cheesey camp stools. It all backs into a bag that I can strap to my motorcycle. I say single person tent because I'm 6'3, 260, and w a backpack, small airpad, and a rolled up jacket for a pillow, felt alittle cramped at first, but with my head facing the door it was nice.

For three days and nights, we had 50+ mph gust with constant 20mph blowing, thunderstorms, some hail, and sleet. My tent was the only that stayed dry (well, minimal water due to no seam sealer) and one of three that didn't blow apart the first night. The bags are 40° rated. I doubled them up two nights because it dropped to 28°.

Best tent I've used. These guys also make tents for your trucks and some cars.

http://www.sportzbynapier.com/

·
Registered
663 Posts
Sleeping pad: the REI 1.5" LiteCore. Holy crap. Sooo comfortable, and packs down way small. I sleep better on that than I do my bed I think.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
You might checkout ALPS Moutaineering, their pads, packs, sleeping bags, and tents are very good.

Alot of this gear depends if you are packing it in to camp (backpack) or car or other camping. You have lots more options if weight is not a huge concern, as the lighter you go the cost increases, which it sounds like you already know that.

Tent size, I would go with a 4-5 person tent, that way you have room for gear, and/or another person.

ALPS Mountaineering | Camping Gear & Mountaineering Equipment

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Always get a tent that will hold more people than you'll usually bring. I have a 6-man tent but only sleep 4. For a pad, we use air mattresses since we car camp and most of the sites have power so we can blow them up. We have a battery powered pump too. As for a bag, I picked up a Kelty 40 degree bag from Target for $60. Your size is a little bigger than me so I don't know if you'll like it, but it is a nice bag for what I need.

·
Registered
663 Posts
How long have you had it? I wonder how durable the inflating mats are...especially over time.

I think this is my third season with it. It probably gets 15-20 nights a year on it. No issues yet.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Springbar tents as mentioned earlier are nice, but

A) they weight a metric **** ton. Litterally, I have the family camper 7, think it tops the scales at 75lbs, then add in the ground cloth and a few other things, its just HEAVY and BIG.

B) they cost a good amount to. Since they are made local to me, I picked it up on sale and they throw in good little discounts like free ground cloth (usually cost 40 to 100 depending on model), free entry mat, half off additional stakes, and some percent off everything else. It really pays to wait till the sale comes up before buying.

BUT on the plus side, they roomy, pretty much anyone can stand in them. They hold up well during storms and overtime, one coworker has had is about 30 years and its still going strong.

There are other lightweight possibilities as well, REI which odds are there is one within 100 miles is nice since they let you set up the tents inside to get a feel for it, and learn how to do it before you need to use it outdoors. I own a few too many shelters at times I think, but its nice since there can be use for any anytime. My stock consists of:
Springbar family 7
Eureka alpenlite 2XT
Eureka timberline 4
REI halfdome 4
Kifaru supertarp with annex and small stove
Kifaru sawtooth and med stove
Kifaru 8man and large stove
Golite shangri-la 3 (have 2, one for each car kit)
Hennessy hammock, have 3 of them, all explorer deluxes with larger hex fly. And a Jacks r better nest under quilt and Hudson river top quilts for one since I use it more than the rest the family uses theirs.
Large selection of tarps and bivys.
And I know Im missing one or so... but yeah, I have a few differnt types of shelters for different conditions.

Sleeping bags... this is one you need to decide since people sleep differently, have different temp body types, expected use climates, etc. Then you have rectangular, mummies, down, synth, yada yada, really need to get into a store to answer this one.

Pads. I also have a few, exped downmat 9 dx, Thermarest prolite, thermarest ridgerest, Zlite, BA insulated aircore (most used) is small packed up, comfy, works well for most 3 season outtings, or even 4 season with a closed cell foam pad under it. Really a great pad for a pretty good price.

Also when in REI spend the coin and become a member, you get 10% back each year, only need to pay once, you get great little offers like member only discounts, or free shipping thru out the year, and right before you get your dividend (early to mid spring) they usually have 20% off one single item, so you can get more for your money.

Also as pointed out, there are several website devoted for product reviews, or the shops have reviews available. backcountry.com, REI.com, moosejaw.com, Cabelas.com, dickssportinggoods.com, altrec.com, trailspace.com, gearreview.com, backpacker.com, backpackgeartest.org.

Really recommend checking out a outdoor shop like REI since they do not work off of a commission, and most employees are avid outdoor enthusiasts, they are a wealth of info and the ones near me have no issues saying... stay away from this, or I really like this, I actually got a few employees to check out the ALITE monarch chair (which FYI is small lightweight and very comfy chair). I can post some review photos but there are already plenty on line.

Good luck on your quest friend.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Speaking of tents ... I think it's going to be difficult to walk out while humping a big tent. Particularly if it's a big multi-person tent. So, I just have a tarp and a some tent pegs in my BOB. It cost about $10 at Walmart. It's folded nice and flat, takes up almost no space in the BOB, and doesn't weigh more than a pound. I've use these tarps for hauling and weather protection. They are very resistant to the elements and would make great poncho-hooches for protection from the weather, for a couple people.

I also have a small Coleman two person tent to throw in the truck. This one isn't for outdoor camping, but to use if we get evacuated into some kind of big, open area Red Cross shelter, like a basketball court or arena. Could put it up quickly, and it would provide some privacy and a place to put yourself and your stuff out of sight of prying eyes.

I don't currently have a big outdoor camping tent (the camping trailer has me spoiled), but am looking for one of those that can be attached to the truck, and incorporates the interior of the vehicle into the living space. So ... If anybody has some good suggestions on that type of tent, as well as the big stand alone tents, it would be appreciated

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Tents are like gun safes. Take the "rated capacity", divide it by two and you'll have more of a real-world capacity.

In general, Eureka makes good "budget" sleeping bags and tents.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I personally have a 9x7 tent i got from walmart, used some seam sealer and it hasn't let me down in 7 years and about 30 camping trips, I did replace the tent stakes because they where plastic and just fell apart after awhile. I just re applied some seam sealer this past fall for a hunting trip.

As far as a sleeping bag goes make sure you try it befor you buy it, I bought a Recon 3 sleeping bag and i wish i hadn't because my shoulders dont fit (to be fair i fell in love with the bag in 07 when my shoulders where only 46 inches and they are now 52) I do like how small and light it is, I'll probably give this bag away and get something that fits me better.

For as big of a guy as you are i would suggest staying away from mummy bags because they are generally smaller than the more square sleeping bags.

if you arn't wanting to spend $$$ you'll be looking at a sythetic bag.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts