Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was looking at buffer stuff... Came across A5 buffer tube/buffer. I might run it on my Banshee. I know MIL spec carbine stocks will fit... Which means MIL spec braces will fit... But how exactly?

A5 is 3/4" longer than carbine tube. Collapsible brace will not close all the way. I won't have to pull out as far. OK.

Do you know if anything will work on A5 6/7 position tube?

So how long is a "pistol" tube? Do they use pistol buffers? I could use a A5 pistol tube. It's a thing. Does that just mean it's a smooth tube? I've thought about just running a tube, but I thought even a A5 would be too short for me. Like I could run a Tailhook alone, but thought it would be short. But it would be super minimalist... Which I kinda like.... So what do you know?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
The A5 system is kind of the intermediate buffer tube system.

I say kinda, because there's still some conventional parts swapping between the A5 and carbine buffer system, with varying degrees of success, while technically still being compatible.

The A5 system is really nice for being able to keep a standard carbine buffer length with the longer recoil system needs of a 308AR, instead of needing to run a stubby buffer.

In pistol caliber, I don't think you'll see an advantage, cycle length isn't as far, or as critical as a rifle chambering.

As for stock and brace compatibility, just about anything mil-spec will fit the A5 system. If there's no hole all the way through, as you've surmised, the collapsed length will be slightly longer on the A5 system.

·
Premium Member
15,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The A5 system is kind of the intermediate buffer tube system.

I say kinda, because there's still some conventional parts swapping between the A5 and carbine buffer system, with varying degrees of success, while technically still being compatible.

The A5 system is really nice for being able to keep a standard carbine buffer length with the longer recoil system needs of a 308AR, instead of needing to run a stubby buffer.

In pistol caliber, I don't think you'll see an advantage, cycle length isn't as far, or as critical as a rifle chambering.

As for stock and brace compatibility, just about anything mil-spec will fit the A5 system. If there's no hole all the way through, as you've surmised, the collapsed length will be slightly longer on the A5 system.
What I'm looking at is going another route... Guy worked up a lot of stuff for banshee and blowback... One set up is A5, 9mm kynshot buffer which is A5 length and rifle spring. Does the most for dampening blowback.

·
Premium Member
15,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Am I seeing right that there are pistol braces to go on smooth pistol buffer tubes that are ot collapsible? That you just put the race on where you want it? And then have some sort of positioning screw where you set it... But not the 5/6 position type tubes?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Yeah, before the ATF deemed a tube to not be the determining factor between pistol and illegal SBR, the first braces were designed to mount to a smooth tube.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts