Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or into, whichever. And no generic Taurus-trashing please, I'm looking for objective input.

I have an LCP and Glock 23, both which I love. But I really like the size and feel of the 740. It's the size I think a sub-compact 40 should be. So, now I'm thinking... which is always dangerous... :shock:

·
Registered
769 Posts
OK, it has ****** sights. The front is fixed, too, so you can never change them. Can you afford a Walther PPS?
Do you have one?

The sights on my 709 Slim work just fine. Aftermarket Glock front sights will work on the Slim, you just have to grind down the set screw a little so it doesn't contact the barrel. Not sure what replacements are available for the rear, though.

I haven't had any issues with my 709 Slim.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I looked at a 709 a couple weeks ago, nice looking gun but it didn't feel right in my hand. If it fits you go for it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I own a 709 made about a year ago. Exact same gun with a different barrel and magazine.

They seem to have fixed the well-known extraction problems and the nearly as well known magazine retention problems, but chances are better than even that it'll shoot low and left and the loudmouth know-it-alls at Tuarusarmed.net will insist it's because you don't know how to shoot. You'll max out the elevation and windage on the rear sight and you might still not get it to shoot to point of aim. Roll the dice, you might get one hell of a gun for the money...you might get a PITA.

·
Registered
514 Posts
And I wish to hell Springfield would make a single-stack with XD trigger and features. They'd make a killing.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
And I wish to hell Springfield would make a single-stack with XD trigger and features. They'd make a killing.
Never gonna happen ;)

If you max out the sight adjustment and it still shoots low and left it's still YOU! Seems like every manufacturer turns out an endless supply of low-left shooters according to web-wags. Boresight it with a LASER or it never happened.

·
Registered
514 Posts
If you max out the sight adjustment and it still shoots low and left it's still YOU!
I know, man! And isn't it mind-boggling how many owners of low/left Taurus Slims finally learn how to shoot in the short time it takes for them to get their guns back from Taurus customer service? I mean guys who've shot small guns for years just can't do it right until they put their gun in a box, apply postage, and rest their hands for a few days. And then, [cue singing angels] ta-daaa! They're cured! Physical therapists should study the phenomenon because it really seems effective. I'd even say The Vatican should look into it.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input!

I wouldn't plan to replace the sights, so that wouldn't be a problem. I like the Walther, but the price of the Taurus is one of the draws for me. And if I was willing to spend the money on a Walther then I would also consider a Kahr. But, I'm not looking to spend that much right now.

I think what I really want is an LC40, so I might wait and keep my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Never shot one so I can't say anything for or against them. Got to go with what fits your needs and budget....... Enjoy

·
Registered
205 Posts
the ruger lc9 is pretty awesome :rolleyes:

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Never shot one so I can't say anything for or against them. Got to go with what fits your needs and budget....... Enjoy
"Budget" is a funny word... I wasn't planning on buying any new guns this year so I'm trying to make a budget where there wasn't one, without suffering certain death at the hands of my wife :)

XDmHornedFrog said:
the ruger lc9 is pretty awesome :rolleyes:
Yeah, that's why I want an LC40. I'm fairly well invested in 40, but have nothing in 9mm.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got one almost a year ago, and had just put trijicon sites on my 9mm XD Compac... which is now a paper weight with sites that glow in the dark. The PT 740 is now my main CCW... not to worried about accuracy at 30' but it puts holes in the paper at ten paces shooting from the hip. Don't know how many rounds I've put through it but never a FTF or FTE, just always goes BANG when I pull the trigger (always a good thing). Go getcha one. I've got the TCP 738 as a backup, or pocket dropper, too!

·
Registered
14,586 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Or into, whichever. And no generic Taurus-trashing please, I'm looking for objective input.

I have an LCP and Glock 23, both which I love. But I really like the size and feel of the 740. It's the size I think a sub-compact 40 should be. So, now I'm thinking... which is always dangerous... :shock:
I had a 709 slim function was perfect it was accurate and I liked it. I had ONE problem only my BIG FAT hands kept getting on the mag slide lock and pressing down on it during firing and of course the slide did not lock open on a empty mag. NOT a problem as long as kept my hand off of it. If it fits your hand go for it I liked mine it was a nice gun and I would recommend it especially for carry.

I traded mine on a XDm 5.25 that I had to have ;) and now carry my compact 9mm XD everywhere in place of the 709.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts