Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Glocks website after a discussion about what new handgun to buy... story short, the Glock 20 in 10mm caught my eye:D Now, I know the drawbacks on ammo cost, but this is my thought process on that... limited use with the 10mm ammo, just primarily for carrying (SD), and then having a 9mm, and a .22lr conversion barrel for range use (not sure if the 20 supports that?) essentially having 3 guns in one. The 10mm looks to be a beast of a round for SD, but is it any better or worse than 45 ACP??

·
Registered
161 Posts
I would go for a .40, similar ballistics for cheaper. the case diameter difference between 9mm and 10mm could cause extractor breakage. if out want so expensive I would be all over the 10mm

·
Registered
224 Posts
Glocks are ugly and grip angle blows.....blah blah blah...same old complint about glocks...but big +, its a great club if you run out of ammo!

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would go for a .40, similar ballistics for cheaper. the case diameter difference between 9mm and 10mm could cause extractor breakage. if out want so expensive I would be all over the 10mm
Similar yes... but 10mm has more energy than even the 45 ACP:shock:

Winchester PDX-1, 230gr JHP .45 ACP, 920 FPS / 432 ft lbs

Winchester PDX-1, 180gr JHP .40S&W, 1025 FPS / 420 ft lbs

Winchester PDX-1, 124gr +P JHP 9mm, 1200 FPS / 396 ft lbs

Winchester Super-X, 175 gr JHP 10mm, 1290 FPS / 649 ft lbs

Notice a roughly 30 ft lbs difference between 9mm to .45, with the .40 in the middle.... then you go another 217 ft lbs from .45 to get to the 10mm:shock:

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would handle one first, the G20 is a huge gun.
Its the same size as the G21 in .45 ACP... its also roughly 1/2 inch shorter than the 4.5 XDm .45

G20 length overall - 7.59 inches

XDm .45 length overall - 8 inches

Its also roughly 3.5 oz lighter than the XDm .45 when they are both empty

G20 weight empty - 27.68 oz

XDm .45 weight empty - 31 oz

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Clinton,
Take a look at the G29 while you're at it !!!
WEIGHT
700 g / 24.69 oz.
LOADED (~)
935 g / 32.98 oz.

LENGTH
172 mm / 6.77 in.
HEIGHT
113 mm / 4.45 in.

MAG. CAPACITY
Standard: 10
OPTIONAL

WIDTH
32.5 mm / 1.27 in.
BARREL HEIGHT
32 mm / 1.26 in.

TRIGGER PULL
2.5 kg / 5.5 lbs.
TRIGGER TRAVEL
12.5 mm / 0.5 in.

LINE OF SIGHT
151 mm / 5.95 in.
BARREL LENGTH
96 mm / 3.78 in.
I'm happy enough with the G34 that I've tweaked, that I'm actually thinking of trading my EAA Witness Match 10mm for a G20 or G29.

And YES, the Advantage Arms 22 conversion kits are available for both pistols ... In fact, they have conversion kits for (if I'm not mistaken) every model of Glock, ever produced :cool:

And that sure ain't something that IMO is ever gonna be available for an XD/XDm.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Clinton,
Take a look at the G29 while you're at it !!!

I'm happy enough with the G34 that I've tweaked, that I'm actually thinking of trading my EAA Witness Match 10mm for a G20 or G29.

And YES, the Advantage Arms 22 conversion kits are available for both pistols ... In fact, they have conversion kits for (if I'm not mistaken) every model of Glock, ever produced :cool:

And that sure ain't something that IMO is ever gonna be available for an XD/XDm.
I bet the recoil with the 29 is nuts though LMAO!

I was wondering if they made the conversion kits for the 10mm Glocks... what do the conversion kits usually go for?

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
I bet the recoil with the 29 is nuts though LMAO!

I was wondering if they made the conversion kits for the 10mm Glocks... what do the conversion kits usually go for?
They're listing for $325, but you can find them for under $300, if you look around, and perhaps as low as (I've been told) $250 if you catch a sale.

Rent a 29 and shoot it ... I thought the low bore axis was all hype, but I'll tell you what,
The perceived recoil on the 34 makes every XD/XDm I've shot (same caliber) seem like an untamed animal.

First time shooting it, I was fortunate enough to have my XD9 service, a 4.5 XDm 9, and a XD9SC for comparison, and they do shoot soft ... DPX +P out of the G34 (5.38"), still seemed soft compared to the XD9 and XDm 4.5 9 shooting WWB.

All who shot it said it seemed to push, rather than twist upward.

Honestly,
After shooting them back to back, the XD line reminds me of a revolver's recoil (rotation).

Shoot one ... You might like it !!

·
Registered
6,683 Posts
I own a couple of G21s, a G29 and a G20. I don't believe that 10mm is better for s.d. purposes than .45ACP. Better for shooting targets @ 100 yds? Maybe. Better for deer hunting? Yep.

I carry a G26 daily and don't feel undergunned. :cool:

·
Premium Member
127,724 Posts
Although I'm "an XD guy" I have a Glock 22 of which I am quite fond.

·
Registered
29,750 Posts
Let's see...calibers you can shoot out of a G20 (all but 10mm require barrel swaps):

10mm, .40S&W, .357Sig, 9x25 Dillon... .22LR with a conversion slide...these are just off the top of my head. Not sure about 9mm...but, if you can shoot 9mm, you could shoot .38 Super.

I'd say go for it.

·
Registered
895 Posts
xdmarine03 said:
Glocks are ugly and grip angle blows.....blah blah blah...same old complint about glocks...but big +, its a great club if you run out of ammo!
I don't get it? Are you quoting what you've heard or are u giving your opinion???? Elaborate please.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Let's see...calibers you can shoot out of a G20 (all but 10mm require barrel swaps):

10mm, .40S&W, .357Sig, 9x25 Dillon... .22LR with a conversion slide...these are just off the top of my head. Not sure about 9mm...but, if you can shoot 9mm, you could shoot .38 Super.

I'd say go for it.
So I saw a 9mm conversion barrel for a G20/29 and was wondering.... and yes you can do .38 super.

You can also convert it to 45ACP by replacing the entire top end with a G21 top.

·
Registered
22,575 Posts
If it were me, I would pick up another 1911.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I made the swap from Glock to XD a week ago. got to the range yesterday and was amazed at the xd40sc. ive owned a ruger p95 9mm, a glock 19 9mm, a glock 26 9mm, and a glock 33 357sig. the XD is by far a better shooter and more accurate for ME. My buddy brought his G19 out and i was playing with it and it just didn't feel as good as the XD and i couldn't shoot it as good. My buddy had a G29 and it was a blast, then he traded for a G20 sf. I will say the Short Frame (sf) glocks feel much better, but IMO SAXD is a much better gun. of course i am saying this with only a week with my XDsc but if it keeps going like it did yesterday then i'll never own another Glock. I posted my range trip in the range report section with groupings i was shooting with the XD and I couldnt get over how well i was shooting at 7yds with this gun. it was the first time i had a chance to pull the trigger.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts