Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellas,
This is my first post in this forum, I have been nosing around here for a month or so getting info and opinions. This is a very informative site and seems to have a wealth of knowlegable participants. I recently baught my first handgun. I'm not new to the sport but it is my first personal pistol. I have the xd-40 sc. Its a short little booger. I bought it for a cc gun and home protection. On to my question and delima. I have about 650 rounds through it. When i am standing, aiming down the sights and shooting at a target i am consistantly hitting one foot low and left. If i do practice draw and double tap drill where you dont use the sights and instinct aim i can hit consistantly in a sillouette size. I shoot right handed and the target is at close range 20-25 feet. on the same range and target I can shoot a decent group with three other guns, sig239, baby eagle, and a spring custom. I'm hoping someone here has had the same trouble or maybe can tell me of some quirk I dont know about.
thanks in advance.
pat

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Could it be that when you're aiming, you have more time to think about what's going on and what's about to happen and you anticipate the recoil? That's the most likely culprit when shooting low. That SC in 40 is a snappy little gun (I've got one).

·
Registered
16 Posts
low to the left clusters usually relate to how you pull the trigger if you are right handed. Move the trigger to the pad on your finger and concentrate on pulling back with a smooth motion....The gun firing should be a surprise.

You can also practice dry firing. Remove the magazine, Rack the slide to eject the round...visually check for empty chamber. Place a coin on the top of the slide....point and fire. The goal is to get the coin to stay on the slide.

That should solve the problem

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
kimo is exactly right, most of us have experienced the exact same 'problem'. Shooting low and left is caused by pulling the trigger incorrectly.

After dry firing on a snap cap about 500 times, the trigger gets a good bit smoother and its easier to pull the trigger back correctly.

Tom

·
Registered
409 Posts
if you are shooting good with other pistols, I'd say drift the rear sight right, and see if that fixes the shooting left problem.

I shot 4-6" low with my SC when I first got it. I was ticked cause I could shoot fine with my service. I contacted SA, and they had me send it in.

Got it back in a week and the problem was solved. They put in a taller rear sight. They also told me that they change sights for your load, if you reload hotter or colder.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks fellas for the replies, everybodys advice helped much. i shot 200 rounds today and am much better. i am shooting a five inch or so group, which was a relief and made me happy. thanks again.
pat

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
cracker said:
Thanks fellas for the replies, everybodys advice helped much. i shot 200 rounds today and am much better. i am shooting a five inch or so group, which was a relief and made me happy. thanks again.
pat
What adjustment(s) did you make?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think the bigest thing was that i was thinking of about it to much, and letting my frustrations show. I relaxed. I was trying to ease into the trigger so i would not flinch. What finally started working was coming up to aim at six o'clock to the target and as the sights reached 12 I would pill the trigger. I don't know if it is propper technique or not but I'm shooting less then five inch groups at up to 15 yards.For kicks I was hitting a dinner plate size gong target at 50 yards 5 out of 9 shots. I think it had to do with me getting accostomed to the gun and relaxing. I was gripping harder to try to correct my errors. The advce you guys gave and the links posted helped a lot, and I do appreciate it.
pat

·
Registered
149 Posts
Anybody know where I can get a cheap snap cap to dry fire?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts