Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just home from my range where I was able to shoot the tactical version of both the XD-40 and the XD-45. I had previously decided on the .40 but am now re-evaluating as I found the .45 recoil more predictable and less "snappy." I think it might be the right "general purpose" pistol for me. Unfortunately, this particular range does not have XD Service models to try, but I am already sold on the Service as opposed to Subcompact or Tactical. Is there anyone out there who has both the Tactical and Service in .45? Or maybe that has shot both of them? I would love to hear anyone's opinion on the differences in felt recoil, time getting back to target, accuracy and any other relevant issues between the Tactical and the Service models. Thanks!

·
Registered
462 Posts
I did have both the Tactical and Service XD45s, actually XD45C as both were compacts. There is very little difference in recoil between the two guns, at least as far as I was concerned. My 5" was slightly faster to get back on target but that is primarily because my guide rod is weighted because I felt the gun was a bit too light in the muzzle to balance well for me.

·
Registered
278 Posts
You can't go wrong with the Service or Tactical. No real difference in recoil. The Service seems to get on target faster, while the Tactical is more accurate for me, all from the ~1" sight radius difference. It's all pretty negligible though. I stick with the Tactical only because the .45 round was designed for a 5" barrel and I'm primarily a 1911 guy.

In the real world...not sure there's any real noticeable difference between the two. For a good all-around gun I'd recommend the Service. And definitely in .45ACP. :D

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have two XD 45 Tactical pistols, the most recent a bi-tone with the slide safety. I have shot the service model of a friend of mine. I prefer the Tactical due to the quicker time back on target and the fact that, for me at least, is appears to be a better balanced pistol. The extra sight radius helps as well. That being said, if you plan to carry it then the Service model would be a better pick.

Everyone is different in their preferences but I prefer the Tactical, it just feels better and I can get a follow-up shot quicker with better accuracy.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
After having the standard 4" model and the 4" Compact, I've settled on the Compact Tactical. The CT is a little more accurate in my hands at distances over 10yds, and quicker to re-acquire the target as well. I prefer the CT over the 4" Compact because I wanted to change out the guide rod to stainless and use a different weight recoil spring, and you can't do that with the 4" models. I carry the CT, it's my main range and HD gun as well.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I did have both a Service and a Tactical. My Dad now owns the Service and I only have my Tac (okay...a couple of them) now.

For me, the Tactical has less perceived recoil than the Service and I am much better able to get back on target quicker with the Tactical. Also, because of the longer sight radius of the Tactical, I find it to be slightly more accurate than the Service (NOT by much). That is particularly true at longer ranges (25 and out to 50 yards).

Where the Tactical loses its advantage is in concealability. You didn't state if your specific purpose for the pistol was going to be range use or if you were also going to use it as a CCW. If you are looking for a pistol to carry as well as target use...then the Service is a better option.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have the tactical, service, and compact service.

The accuracy of all of them is pretty outstanding, but the edge goes to the longer sight radius on the tactical. It is easily my favorite pistol to shoot. The tiny amount of extra weight does change the recoil slightly and it does seem to do better on doubles. Now that I have my supertuck holster, I can easily carry my full sized pistol if I choose to. I like having options.

My service pistols are nothing to turn up your nose at. The 45 compact is my favorite CCW. No trouble getting on target quick and very controllable. I just slide the grip extender on one of my regular mags for my reload.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My intent with this gun is mainly as a back-up HD gun (to my 870), a frequent range gun, and a potential carry gun in the future, especially if I get my ccw. I think I actually shoot better with a shorter sight distance, and I am not on a skill level where an extra 1" would make a noticeable difference. I guess my number one concern is with recoil and time getting back on target for a follow-up shot. With the Tac in .45, this was reasonable, given my skill level. With the Tac in .40, it seemed even longer... with a Service, I have no idea what .45 or .40 would be like, but I cannot imagine it is a drastic change from the Tac. I am just looking to confirm that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've had a .45 service for a couple of years. I've used it for CC but found the grip stuck out further than I liked. Maybe it is just the way I conceal. This weekend I went out a got the tactical compact for a couple of reasons. I like the XD 45. I wanted a compact 45. Now with the tactical I can swap slides and have either a

Full size service
Compact service
Full size tactical
Compact tactical

I'm currently carrying the service in compact mode and love it. Like having 4 guns for the price of two. Okay, any excuse to buy a gun.

·
Registered
708 Posts
1st, Welcome to XDTalk!
The XD45 service has a 4" Barrel, and a double spring captured guide rod.
The Tactical has a 5" Barrel and a non-captured single spring and steel guide rod. Other than that, they're basically the same. The Magazines are interchangeable. 13 rnds.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the diff. between the tactical and service compact models?
The one nice feature of the Tactical having a full-length guide rod is that you aren't limited to choice of guide rod and recoil springs. I use Don's Guide Rod "Fatty" with a 20# Wolff spring. It's a great combination for reducing muzzle flip which allows for quicker follow-up shots. This is advantageous for competition shoots and self-defense. Since the cost between the two is the same or very close, depending on your local dealer, go with whichever suits your needs. If you plan on using this as a carry gun, take into consideration the extra 1" in the barrel. For big guys like me, it isn't a problem, and even for people of smaller stature and build, the right holster can make most pistols dissapear. If you're using it for home defense or all around fun, I'd go with the Tactical.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All good points. Still can't decide if should I go Tactical instead of Service. Here are my pros and cons:

Tactical:
Pros - more accurate, less muzzle flip and recoil, solid guide rod, heavier
Cons - I'm not skilled enough to use the extra accuracy, too big for cc

Service:
Pros - more versatile size
cons - not as accurate (again, i wouldnt notice), more recoil

Is the difference in accuracy apparent to a semi-auto novice? Is the recoil that much more with the service? I am as skinny and tall as lightpole, so I don't expect either to conceal easily.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have the Tactical and I have shot the Service. The Service has more perceived recoil, but it is still a soft-shooting .45.

If it is for home defense and range use, I recommend the Tactical. But if you are considering CCW carry at all, then you need to look at the Service (or actually the Compact). The 5" barrel of the Tactical is pretty substantial when trying to hide it (especially under shorter jackets or sweatshirts).

Service:
cons - not as accurate (again, i wouldnt notice), more recoil

Is the difference in accuracy apparent to a semi-auto novice? Is the recoil that much more with the service? I am as skinny and tall as lightpole, so I don't expect either to conceal easily.
At anything less than 30+ yards, you won't see any difference in accuracy. The extra 1" of sight radius on the Tactical allows for a little more precision in aiming, but the Service has the ability to equal the Tactical at standard range distances (especially for someone not used to shooting bullseye competitions).

There is a difference in muzzle flip, but it is a surprisingly slight difference.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
The accuracy between a 4" and 5" barrel depends more on the consistency of your sight picture than on the length of the barrel. Yes, the longer barrel usually means more accuracy because of the longer sight radius. I've shot my XD-9 Service extensively, and am very accurate with it. I'm just as accurate with my XD-45 Tactical.

On another note, one difference between a 4" and a 5" barrel is increased velocity. Because the 5" barrel has a slightly longer duration of travel through the barrel to build up gas pressure, you can expect slightly higher performance from a 5".

If concealment is your main issue, it's often not the size of the pistol that makes the difference, but the choice in clothing and holster.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Never can remember which name means which size. Mine is a 4" compact 45. My favorite gun ever next to my Marlin 39A 22 rifle. The 4" compact hides best of any XD-45. It only gives up a very little power to a 5" barrel. So many 45s have less than 5" barrels that the ammo companies seem to tailor their loads as much for 4 as 5.
The slight difference in muzzle flip is because of a slight difference in weight. Note the difference in weight between the two and hanging that much weight from the light rail under the barrel should make it the same.
This is a nice gun to shoot and recoil will probably not be any problem in any event. I have a nasty habit of flinching with pistols that "snap" at me...even little popgun pistols...probably because of some feeling they will blow up when going off :roll:. The solid, heavy feel of the XD-45c with a "push" recoil instead of a "snap" is much nicer to shoot. I've recently fired a few shots of Double Tap which has much more power than the standard stuff and felt little difference in recoil. Nice! :-D good carry load!!
If you get an XD-45c for an "everything' gun you will probably be as happy as the smiley looks. :-D

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've carried quite a few pistols, and the XD45 compact really isn't very conceal friendly. Grip is just a bit too fat and it prints too much ... at least for me.

That said, if you want to CC, the compact and the compact tactical will carry about the same. In my experience, barrel length has little to do with CC.

I just bought a smaller dedicated carry gun, so now I can sell my bi-tone compact and get a 5" XD or 1911.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I plan on purchasing a 5" tactical simply because it's the best looking XD they make. Might seem silly... but I love its modern 1911 looks. 8)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts