Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody recomend a good but relatively cheap tac. holster? I am looking for somethin no more than $50. I know there are some good ones out there in the $30 to $50 range, but I don't now what ones will fit a Service Model XD. Thanks in advanced guys.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump

·
Registered
28 Posts
I needed a thigh rig for my XD for a carbine course a couple of months ago. Since i already had a G-Code paddle holster, I ordered the thigh rig adapter for it from gunnersalley.com. I had already been pleased with the holster itself (I expected something like a fobus when I ordered it, and it turned out to be much better), and was again pleased and surprised by how well the thigh rig worked out. It rides well without rocking, secures the weapon well and is a breeze to put on and take off.

Guners Alley went out of their way to get the rig to me in time. As always, their customer service was absolutely top notch. They're great folk. I've done business with them 3 times now, and will be going to them with all of my holster business in the future.

This is the only pic from the class that shows the rig.

Gunners Alley info on this rig; http://gunnersalley.com/product/GCODEREACRIG

It's around 70 bucks instead of the 50 you were looking for, but it's custom molded to the weapon and offers good retention while allowing great draw / prsentation and easy reholstering. It also doesn't flop around on your leg like many of the nylon ones seem to.

Closer shot of the rig and weapon;

Close up of the paddle, showing the ridges that secure it to the belt / waistband. I was really impressed with how secure this paddle is.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
damn, I really like that. Its a stretch though cost wise. I'd have to not shoot for a couple weeks to save up for that lol.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
FWIW, the G-CODE holster fits the XD like a glove. Excellent tension adjustment and very smooth reholstering.

I know holsters are supposed to be form-fit, but for a kydex holster the G-CODEs are superb.

I also recommend Gunner's Alley as well. Great service. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Oh, and for another 11 bucks you can get a regular paddle attachment. Swapping the attachments takes a screwdriver and 60 seconds. I have a fist#20, a custom belt holster from Wild Bills and the G-Code paddle, all for my XD. The G-Code is my favorate of the three.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
damn, I gonna save up for that G-Code holster. In the long run, I think it would be a good investment. more on that later

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
those holsters aint cheap. $70is probably the cheapest you will get,

·
Registered
30 Posts
Go to a gun show. I got mine for $20 about a month ago its olive drab and made of canvas and nylon webbing it works great and is made in the USA. The guy I bought it from is based out of St. Louis and I bought it at a gun show in Des Moines, Iowa. So if your near or in Iowa he may make his rounds to your area gunshow.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You really do not want a $30 holster, trust me, I speak from experience. I've taken many tactical classes, and you'll spend more time putzing with a nylon holster and getting it snapped back in, than you will shooting. The guys with drop in holsters will be done with their 20 round transition drill before you even get your 3rd transition done.

The above holster looks nice, but I don't feel comfortable with a holster that doesn't have a band around the top. Too easy to pop out, IMHO. I would go with something like the Safariland 6004 that is similiar in design, but has a rotating hood to secure the weapon. They run just under $90.00.

Well worth the money.

·
Registered
28 Posts
back40 said:
You really do not want a $30 holster, trust me, I speak from experience. I've taken many tactical classes, and you'll spend more time putzing with a nylon holster and getting it snapped back in, than you will shooting. The guys with drop in holsters will be done with their 20 round transition drill before you even get your 3rd transition done.

The above holster looks nice, but I don't feel comfortable with a holster that doesn't have a band around the top. Too easy to pop out, IMHO. I would go with something like the Safariland 6004 that is similiar in design, but has a rotating hood to secure the weapon. They run just under $90.00.

Well worth the money.
Valid points, but the retention in these is actually pretty good.

I've never understood students shelling out hundreds of dollars in tuition for a gunning class, then showing up with cheap azz stuff that prevents them from being able to focus on the class. You see a couple in almost every class, though.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah, somethin' I realized before I bought my gun is that you get what you pay for, and when safety and function are important, you should pay for the best. These are guns we are talking about. Serious stuff, and not a game. I have been having to walk a fine line between whats the best, and what I can afford. So far, as far as holsters go, I have done pretty ok. I primarily use a Don Hume JIT for my XD. Pretty damn cheap for a leather holster, but well crafted. I do have a beef with some minor things about it though, but overall, I am pretty happy with it. All in all a pretty good concealed carry holster.
But its horrible for shooting at the range. When I carry concealed, I ussually wear a t-shirt tucked in with a shirt over it. That way the gun doeasn't contact my skin, and the longer shirt conceals it. At the range I am having to constantly draw and reholster. While I would have to deal with the outer shirt in a defense situation, I don't want to have to do that. Teh holster also causes teh gun to ride very high, great for concealing it under my shirt, but again, a pian when at the range.
A thigh holster seem like a good idea for the range becasue it makes reholstering the weapon convienent and puts it close at hand. The holster pictured above seems like an exceptional choice becasue of the ease it has in putting on. Do most tactical rigs feature a belt clip like that g-code above? Or do most require removing your belt to slide it over?
I am thinking that my new target range is gonna be in the $50 to $70 range. Although I am gonna hit a gun show up too to see what I can find.
Gunguy, can you post a pic and or link to teh type of holster you got for $20? I would appreciate it. Would be nice to see what they might carry at a gunshow and what kinda deal I might be able to swing. Thanks!

·
Registered
11,062 Posts
I was having problems coming up with a decent holster when I first bought my XD. Too new and not enough being made for it at the time. I also wanted a cross-draw holster. I ended up geting a Fobus Roto Holster/Belt model and have been very pleased. Excellent retention, quick draw and comfortable once I got the angle correct for sitting. Also, the price was in the $20 range. Fobus also makes shoulder holsters and thigh rigs too, but I haven't tried them out.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I went to the local gunshop and they have now ordered me a Uncle Mikes to try out. Not a bad price. THey had one for a sig in stock and i liked it. it velcroed on pretty fast. FOr teh price, I figured what the hell, I would try it out. I'll post a full review whne I get it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts