Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got my S mod2 and I'd like to keep it with me everywhere, but having trouble finding a good holster for gym. (Running, stretching, lifting, in gym shorts, without printing.)

Any ideas?

Im looking for kind of like some sort of Fanny pack that I'd just keep on me tight at all times. Slide from front to rear as necessary. With other compartments for common stuff that liberal soccer mom's won't freak out about. So I have at least a couple zippers i can open right up infront of anyone nosy without waking up my baby xd :p . But also a quick way in for my draw hand.

Extra points if it could be worn over the shoulder too.
Or if the gun compartment was waterproof, so i don't go wiringwo about humidity.
Or if the material was kevlar. Tactical blah blah.

How do you guys conceal carry at the gym?

·
Registered
665 Posts
How do you guys conceal carry at the gym?
In a dedicated built-in holster in a dedicated pocket inside my bag that stays with me at the gym.

There's no way to effectively lift real weights while still carrying on body, for me.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
Threat assessment: I honestly can't think of a safer place.

What's the threat? Getting robbed while lifting? not likely. most people aren't carrying valuables on their person. Someone has a vendetta against you personally? maybe. Random violence that would necessitate an armed response at the gym? seems extremely rare, unheard of.

Those are the 3 things I considered. I decided not to carry on my person in the gym. Maybe keep it in a locker with my gear, so I can be armed entering and exiting, and any other stops I make on the trip. Your conclusions may differ, and I hope that whatever you decide works for you.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Threat assessment: I honestly can't think of a safer place.

What's the threat? Getting robbed while lifting? not likely. most people aren't carrying valuables on their person. Someone has a vendetta against you personally? maybe. Random violence that would necessitate an armed response at the gym? seems extremely rare, unheard of.

Those are the 3 things I considered. I decided not to carry on my person in the gym. Maybe keep it in a locker with my gear, so I can be armed entering and exiting, and any other stops I make on the trip. Your conclusions may differ, and I hope that whatever you decide works for you.
A waitress just told my wife and I last weekend that she was robbed at gun point in the parking lot leaving LA Fitness.
The conversation started because I was open carrying and she asked how to get a gun and carry permit. We are taking her to the range this Sunday.

Also isn't it extremely irresponsible to leave a gun in a gym locker?
Gym Locker Thieves Use New Method to Break Locks
Thieves Steal Valuables From Gym Lockers While Patrons Work Out

Since she got robbed on the way to her car, it wouldn't make much sense to lock it in her car either, would it?

And then there are a few of these stories (first 3 links of search shown) that also make me think your thoughts are off.
More details about victims, gunman in Equinox gym shooting

Man Killed in Police Shooting at LA Fitness Gym Identified

Police: Gym shooter 'had a lot of hatred' for women, society - CNN.com

I think it was Pat Rogers that said " carry your f***ing gun all the f***ing time".

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
A waitress just told my wife and I last weekend that she was robbed at gun point in the parking lot leaving LA Fitness..
And that right there is why you would carry into the gym - parking lots are dangerous places.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
A waitress just told my wife and I last weekend that she was robbed at gun point in the parking lot leaving LA Fitness.
The conversation started because I was open carrying and she asked how to get a gun and carry permit. We are taking her to the range this Sunday.
Also isn't it extremely irresponsible to leave a gun in a gym locker?
Gym Locker Thieves Use New Method to Break Locks
Thieves Steal Valuables From Gym Lockers While Patrons Work Out
No.
Since she got robbed on the way to her car, it wouldn't make much sense to lock it in her car either, would it?
That's why I said "Maybe keep it in a locker with my gear, so I can be armed entering and exiting, and any other stops I make on the trip" in my post that you replied to.
And then there are a few of these stories (first 3 links of search shown) that also make me think your thoughts are off.
More details about victims, gunman in Equinox gym shooting
That would fall under "vendetta against a particular person" that I alluded to in my post that you quoted. in that case, it was gym staff, not someone working out. If someone had a vendetta against me personally, sure, I'd consider it. If I were employed by the gym, of course I'd be carrying. If I'm some random dude in the gym without a definite threat against me, probably not.
wasn't a deadly force situation until police came and brought deadly force into the equation. If I'm in the gym, working out, I'm not involved in that situation at all. If you want to involve yourself in something like that, it's on you.
Random violence at the gym, like I said, is extremely rare. That's the one incident that I am aware of. Additionally, I'm not likely to be in a women's aerobics class at this point in my gender.
I think it was Pat Rogers that said " carry your f***ing gun all the f***ing time".
Oh yeah? what gym does he work out in?

BTW, I've tried a smartcarry for my XDS45. Works fine in normal clothes, but flops around in gym shorts. Not really secure in my experience.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone, some good ideas and great recommendations so far. To follow up on a couple:

1) I think as a good safety practice, I want to keep my pistol in the same holster all day, from the time I leave the house till the time I get home.
2) I want to keep that holster in secure contact with my body, except perhaps when I'm showering, when I would have it in the private shower cell with myself inbetween it and the door.
3) I'm not comfortable leaving my pistol in a 'locker' as I do not have any trust in the security of a gym locker when they have signs all around "not responsible for items left in lockers". I wouldn't leave my phone or wallet in the locker either for that matter.
4) I'm not particularly worried about a violent threat at the gym. But it wouldn't surprise me to hear of a mass shooting in a gym someday, and if it's mine, I'd like a chance to stop it before I'm injured. I wouldn't expect theaters to be dangerous either.
5) I do not like the idea of disarming and rearming in my vehicle. Too observable, too awkward in a siting position.
6) I also want to be armed while walking from car to gym and vice versa as that area is not secured or necessarily safe.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
I can’t carry at the gym. Too much going on/movement. I prefer the mind my business mindset. If there is a threat close enough to me that I can close the distance, weapon of choice is hands. [email protected]&*#%cking knife-hand to the throat FTW.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts