Springfield XD Forum banner

Tactical 40 Modifications

5K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  R Dub 
#1 ·
Ive been fooling around with my Tactical now for quite a while. A few normal bolt ons and a few more picky modifications, but all in all I really like the way its turning out. This gun is used exclusively for IDPA matches.

Family Photo :p

All Alone

Profiled!

The trigger safety really needed alot of attention. It masked the true feel of the Shortened trigger pull. After the Overtravel/reset/pull weight was reduced, the only thing left to do whas make a new trigger safety and lighten the spring. The result was far better then expected. A hardly noticable, and fully functional trigger safety. (the new safety actually has more contact with the frame then the stock safety)

This is just a cut from the high res version of hte first picture. You can see the color of the Norrell Moly resin better here. The color is their "Grayish Black".
High Res Image

A full list of the upgrade includes:

A-Grip
Dawson Fiber optic Sights
Mag-loc magwell
Dons Guide Rod
Wolff Springs

Then the modifications made by myself:

Full trigger work (overtravel/reset/Pre-travel, 2# pull)
Shortened Trigger safety
Extended Beavertail
Slide Refinishing

Still to come:
Lower Dawson rear sight, or bomar installation
Bar-sto Match Barrel and Mag Release
Checker Front of trigger guard
Undercut trigger Guard
Possibly stipple or ??? Grip

See less See more
#5 ·
The beavertail was added by drilling some holes in the frame (for a good bond), and molding Acry-Glas Gel into a rough shape, then filing/sanding it down to the desired shape & size.

The trigger work really requires a very good understanding of the trigger and trigger/striker safety functions. Im afraid that if you have to ask how to do it, then it may be more complicated than you really want to try without the proper tools and/or flak vest. :lol: But basically, you add material to the Sear, and fit the Striker safety as necessary, re-face the sear and Striker, and fit the Trigger bar with a set screw for overtravel adjustment. Plus polish all contact surfaces.

I went with a 40 over a 9 for the ease of reloading and the availability of free Brass. There is alot of 40 brass out there, and it is a very good functioning round. I was looking at getting a 9mm conversion barrel, but I was able to shoot some reloaded rounds of 40, that really, felt better than a 9mm load, so I have abandoned that idea, and aim to relaod for the 40.

#6 ·
Looks great, especially on the beavertail. Outstanding job all around. 8)

mxracer33x said:
But basically, you add material to the Sear, and fit the Striker safety as necessary, re-face the sear and Striker, and fit the Trigger bar with a set screw for overtravel adjustment. Plus polish all contact surfaces.
Ah nothing like a good ole homegrown JB Weld trigger job. :wink:

#7 ·
I am wondering if your extended beavertail is a legal modification for IDPA? I've read the rules, skate tape etc... ok, but no "weighted grips". Have you gotten anyone in authority to confirm your modification to the grip is legal? Being an ESP gun, the rules are a little more relaxed, but I'm still not sure on this one.

#8 ·
clee said:
I am wondering if your extended beavertail is a legal modification for IDPA? I've read the rules, skate tape etc... ok, but no "weighted grips". Have you gotten anyone in authority to confirm your modification to the grip is legal? Being an ESP gun, the rules are a little more relaxed, but I'm still not sure on this one.
It is allowed in ESP. And for clarification of you weighted grip thought:

"Weighted Grips: Any set of grips that weigh more than two (2)
oz. over factory standard weight for the model."

The mod added less than 2oz to the frame if they wanted to get that picky.

#10 ·
I noticed you said you were using wolff springs with it, what size? I've got a .40 tactical as well and the lightest load I shoot is 165grain WWB. My carry rounds are 180grain Federal Hyda-shoks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.