Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey again guys...just wondering what you are using for a light on your XDM's. I have an XDM .40 that I want to put a light on. My house is VERY dark at night...had a bit of a scare the other night (turned out to be nothing) and realized that even if there were someone in my house, not only could they not see me but I could not see them either. Seems to make sense to have a light on my gun rather than run thru the house turning on lights...I'm not one to keep lights on all night. There is a street light outside but does little to provide any light inside since blinds are all closed, one little light above the stove on the hood that stays on and thats about it...

Thanks guys...

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use a TLR-3 on mine
How is it for being bright? I have been looking and seen some lights as high as 190 lumens...honestly I don't know how bright 190 is, so someone could tell me it was 190 and really be 50 and I would not know the difference, maybe someone can help with this too...lol

·
Registered
55 Posts
How is it for being bright? I have been looking and seen some lights as high as 190 lumens...honestly I don't know how bright 190 is, so someone could tell me it was 190 and really be 50 and I would not know the difference, maybe someone can help with this too...lol
Here is a lower price one that many seem to like.
It would prob get the job done. $30, you really cant lose

·
Registered
839 Posts
I run a TLR-1 on mine and that thing is atomic bright. I've also had the same batteries in it since summer of '09 (CR123 are supposed to last 10 years without leaking BTW). I popped in a new set only to find it was no better so I popped back in the old set.

The thing is great and has withstood MANY times to the range (I shoot with it on there to familiarize myself with it for home defense use.). Given the cost vs other brands...I strongly recommend it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
the problem with an overly bright gun light is that when you turn it on, you will not only blind the person on the business end but your eyes will have have to do some serious adjusting. what i have found with light mounted pistols is that they work best when there is a little ambient lighting either from outside or them wall plugs. that way you are not blinded by turning on your own pistol light.
if your set on a pistol light though, i would go with a reputable brand considering you can spend big $. Surefire X300 nice BUt pricey. Streamlight TLR1,TLR1s and the TLR2 are all wonderful and both Surefire and Streamlight have wonderful customer service if anything happens.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I run a TLR-1 on mine and that thing is atomic bright. I've also had the same batteries in it since summer of '09 (CR123 are supposed to last 10 years without leaking BTW). I popped in a new set only to find it was no better so I popped back in the old set.

The thing is great and has withstood MANY times to the range (I shoot with it on there to familiarize myself with it for home defense use.). Given the cost vs other brands...I strongly recommend it.
This is the one that I was looking at and considering (assuming you are talking Streamlight TLR-1), but was wondering about it being TOO bright. Never a bad thing to have a blinded BG on the business end of things but when it is so bright that the operator can't see that is a bit much...lol...:shock:

I want one that can stand up to being used a lot...as far as a lot of shooting I mean. I shoot a LOT of rounds and it would need to be able to take it, if I can't practice with it on the gun, it may not do me much good when it counts if it screws with the balance of the gun...

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is a lower price one that many seem to like.
It would prob get the job done. $30, you really cant lose
Got a link? Not sure of putting my or my families lives on the line with a $30 light. Would hate like hell to need it and go to hit the switch have have it be like you lite a candle or not there at all....like I said I prefer something that can take a beating...not abuse but USE. My guns are tools and are treated as such, well taken care of tools but tools just the same...

·
Registered
839 Posts
This is the one that I was looking at and considering (assuming you are talking Streamlight TLR-1), but was wondering about it being TOO bright. Never a bad thing to have a blinded BG on the business end of things but when it is so bright that the operator can't see that is a bit much...lol...:shock:

I want one that can stand up to being used a lot...as far as a lot of shooting I mean. I shoot a LOT of rounds and it would need to be able to take it, if I can't practice with it on the gun, it may not do me much good when it counts if it screws with the balance of the gun...
I am indeed talking about the Streamlight...

I try to use the "flash, BANG" approach of turning on the light, acquiring your sight picture, double tap then off the light. I practice this at the range and then do dry fire runs at home in the dark. The brightness of the light makes the sights posts on your firearm stand out big time...acquiring a sight picture is not too hard. You eyes also adjust quicker when you are not having the light shot in your face.

As for price...I don't skimp on a single that that may one day be relied upon to save my life...$100 is not to shabby given what you get.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am indeed talking about the Streamlight...

I try to use the "flash, BANG" approach of turning on the light, acquiring your sight picture, double tap then off the light. I practice this at the range and then do dry fire runs at home in the dark. The brightness of the light makes the sights posts on your firearm stand out big time...acquiring a sight picture is not too hard. You eyes also adjust quicker when you are not having the light shot in your face.

As for price...I don't skimp on a single that that may one day be relied upon to save my life...$100 is not to shabby given what you get.
So this light is good and bright? Bright enough to make a BG squint and not be able to see much with it in his face? Think I have my mind made up, and was actually leaning toward this one anyway but thought I would ask some opinions...

·
Registered
839 Posts
So this light is good and bright? Bright enough to make a BG squint and not be able to see much with it in his face? Think I have my mind made up, and was actually leaning toward this one anyway but thought I would ask some opinions...
I will say this...(and that's about all I can say). I've had the TLR-1 since July of 2009. Since then it has been on my XDm every night, traveled with me on the road to multiple states, been mounted on and off my pistol hundreds of times, been toggled on/off hundreds of times hand had literally 1000+ rounds fired right over the top of it...

...and it keeps on ticking showing next to no signs of wear aside form a few unavoidable scratches here and there (seriously, even the glass cleans off nicely after a range trip)...

For the $100 I spent on it I have zero complaints...

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will say this...(and that's about all I can say). I've had the TLR-1 since July of 2009. Since then it has been on my XDm every night, traveled with me on the road to multiple states, been mounted on and off my pistol hundreds of times, been toggled on/off hundreds of times hand had literally 1000+ rounds fired right over the top of it...

...and it keeps on ticking showing next to no signs of wear aside form a few unavoidable scratches here and there (seriously, even the glass cleans off nicely after a range trip)...

For the $100 I spent on it I have zero complaints...
Thanks Smokehouse...thats all I need to hear, goin' shopping! :D

·
Registered
29,735 Posts
Surefire X300. It is the best out there.

I do also like my Insight WX150, but not as much as my Surefire.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Surefire X300. It is the best out there.

I do also like my Insight WX150, but not as much as my Surefire.
Thanks Cuda66, will check those out as well!

·
Registered
57 Posts
+ 1 on the TLR-1. Have had mine since 2007 when I was in the academy. Been mounted on my duty Glock 22 ever since. Soon as my holster arrives, it's going to be put on my XDm .45. I couldn't even estimate the number of rounds I have fired through the Glock and it's always been mounted. Just remember to clean the lens shortly after shooting, otherwise you will need a little more elbow grease. I use the light for night shoots as well as during a building search after an audible burglar alarm. Great price on a great light!

·
Registered
105 Posts
i have a TLR-2s and that thing is amazing... i love how bright it is. it literally lights up the whole room... plus, it has a strobe feature that works pretty well at stunning. for me, its absolutely perfect. my eyes adjust to everything fairly quickly, and if you have a good knowloedge of the setup of your hallways and rooms, then you know where to look and where to point.

here is a pic of my setup. XDM-40 with the TLR-2s:

and the brightness:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have the TLR-3 on my XDm 45 with the 4.5" barrel. It's a 90 lumen light that is more than bright enough to see out to 50 feet or better. I like the idea that it doesn't poke out past the muzzle on my 4.5" pistol. Great light IMO.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I attached a Maglite XL-50 to my XDm-45 using a 1" scope mount attached to the rails. The light is nice and bright with strobe option. I know its not meant as a weapons light but it works for now. I usually attach it when I'm home. I also keep one in the car too. It protrudes out a good 2 inches or so from the tip of the barrel. Took it to the range last week and put about 200 rnds down range. Works well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts