• Ipad

• Samsung

• Other?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get my first tablet, i have windows on my laptop and my phone is a Samsung G3 which i really like which tablet would you recommend? Ipad or a Samsung? i am concerned if i get a Ipad i will be limited on somethings and with the Samsung i won't. one reason i am looking at the Ipad is it seems to be made very good. which would you recommend? Thanks.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
My only advice would be don't get a little one like a netbook. Yes, they are smaller and a little cheaper but IMO they are not small enough to carry around like a phone so why bother. I bought one and I wish I had bought something with a full size keyboard and bigger monitor. As for the brand, I don't really have a good answer.

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
We just got a Nexus 10 without the phone app and saved $100. Wife found it on Amazon and got it cheaper than sale prices at Best Buy etc.
Quick and easy to set up. I will give a better report after I've had a chance to figure it all out and it has had some road use.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
It all depends on what you need. If you don't need mobile broadband and can get by just fine with wifi that will drop the price significantly. If you don't have a need for a webcam and are a bit tech savvy, I picked up a Nook HD+ 9" tablet new for $150 a few months ago. Sure beats what it costs for a Samsung or iPad.

Edit: And the tech savvy part is because the stock interface on the Nook sucks bad.

·
Banned
20,993 Posts
Been using kindle fires since they came out....they have some drawbacks....but overall good experience.....I'm on a Kindle Fire HD now.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Can only Speak about my Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. I love it and its going strong still. Traveled with it and its just the right size for me .

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
I have a nexus 7 that I really liked .... until replaced my phone with Samsung S4. Now I do all on phone, rarely pick up the tablet. When S4 not big enough I goto computer.

With all that said, to actually answer your question - the nexus 7 is good for its link up with google.

ETA - I do like the 7" screen with CoPilot app for GPS when making a long trip - hot spot wireless through phone to data for traffic updates - great, better then any built in car nav I have used.

·
Registered
632 Posts
The iPad is great if you just want a basic tablet that works. They work, and are almost impossible for you to screw up. However, because they are designed to be idiot proof, they have a lot of limitations. If you are tech savvy, or are just the curious exploring type, stay away from the iPad, because you will get bored with it.

My wife and I have had the iPad 3 since it came out. I like it, but I just the new galaxy S5 (phone) and I honestly think I can do more with the phone than I can with the iPad.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I recommend an ipad, get the most memory as possible is my best advice. Understand it is not a laptop, and it's limitations are only seen if you try to use it for its unintended purpose. If used for what it was designed to do its a wonderful asset to have. I am a Mac head so I am a little bias . Went Mac awhile ago , never have issues compared to a PC platform. My 2€

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
While the iPad has its perks, there are many out there that are just as good or better. The majority of tablets when compared specs with the iPad they are equal. I would go with the Samsung or Asus tablets. They are reliable and have many accessories for each. I have an Asus tablet one of the first out with the keyboard attachment. It's awesome.
Go play with them at a best buy or some other place. I would assume you would like an android tablet better than getting to know the iPad OS

Probably sent from my German Shepherd

·
Registered
252 Posts
Galaxy tab 3 will have similar interface to your GS3. I wouldn't get an ipad unless you had other apple stuff. But maybe there is something specific you have in mind that might make you go the ipad route. ..

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
i guess its considered a tablet- i got a surface pro with all the bells and whistles

i still have a galaxy tab 2 7.0, which was my first tablet.

botha re great, and it depends on what you want to do with it.

the galaxy tab i got as i was traveling for work often. i wanted something without the browsing restrictions my work laptop had for when i was chilling in hotel rooms in the evenings and airport terminals etc., but i didnt want to carry an entire other laptop with me all the time.

it was great for watching downloaded movies on the plane, playing games like chess and minecraft, tapatalk for this forum, and a whole slew of other things like web surfing from the recliner at home when i dont want a laptop in my lap etc.

eventually after a year and a half or so i decided i wanted something more "powerful", and i landed on the surface pro 2. i happen to love it, despite the OS (i far prefer windows 7). it runs all my MS office etc, and is basically a great computer/tablet hybrid. it took a minute to get used to the "keyboard" flap cover, but not too long.

so it all depends on the features and functionality you desire/require. all i can say is both of these 2 are great for different purposes.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Google Nexus as long as you are good with WiFi only. Best value out there IMO. We have three in the family. The other one is an Asus MeMo and not nearly as well made.

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
The Kid's rubber coated tablet does all I have asked it to do. What do you want to do with your's?

·
Registered
217 Posts
If you need any office tools at all (word, excel, etc.) then I would recommend a windows tablet. I have a surface pro, and my wife a surface RT. I would recommend either. They work well as tablets, but the keyboard cover allows you to used them as laptops when needed.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
Buy an android tablet, use the savings to buy another pistol.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 37 Posts