Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being the crazy lad that I am, I decided to sort my brass by overall length (+/- 0.001"). In the process, I came across some seriously swollen/distorted brass that might have otherwise gotten reloaded. Presumably, it's Glock brass that I accidentally picked up at the range. Regardless, if it wasn't for my obsessive tendencies, I could have had a blowout.

The swelling was quite obvious when handling the cases individually, but invisible when mixed in with other brass. It's a good thing that I ordered 1,000 cases the other day, as there are too many bad apples in this bunch to go through the lot. If you reload, check your brass. It doesn't seem that important until you see a case with stretch marks. :shock:

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Who did you order your brass threw?
The brass I got from brass man most have swells just above the primer ring :shock: .
He didn't even email me back.I just got some nickle from arms1 on ebay and it's awsome clean and no swells 8)
Most of brassmans does seem to resize ok.Really piss me off he didn't return my email. sorry started to spit the dummy as mulder would say :lol:

·
Registered
260 Posts
I like to buy WWW and then reload. No question about where the brass came from. I get a ruler out and draw a line down the heads of the cartridges with a wide point Sharpie while they're in the box. Makes them easy to identify at the range so I don't pick up the wrong brass.

WyoBob

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nearly all of my brass is from the many value packs of WWB that I purchased before buying my press. The brass that I have on order is from Midway.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
R/T sorry to hear about your probs with BMB.

I just got 5000 nickel .40's. they are all clean and no bulge. My last order had some swelled cases near the rim. Took em out with my Lee sizer just fine.

Apparently he goes to California to get his brass from PD's there. Glad he took care of you and made it right.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I bought some nickle on ebay.and now thats all I will buy from now on.
Much cleaner and doesn't seem to scratch as bad. :D
This brass I got from brass man looks like it came from a war zone.swells dents crushed and even a couple 9mm and 45 cases :shock:
But they where just reselling it from someonelse.I will be sure my next order is their sorted.
Do you get little kinks from your XD about.170 from the top ?
Not sure if both of mine do it but the service for sure.
I am really happy with my universal clays really clean.
Just shot up 70 rounds and didn't even discolor the end. 8)
Way cleaner than Remington umc :roll:

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
By kinks do you mean dents from extraction????

no, i don't get them.

You do get a few 9mm and 45's per 1000. No biggy, i'm sure its a bitch separating thousands of cases..

I'm using Clays, not universal Clays.

Clays i use for minor 40 loads and for my major .45 loads, burns very clean.

I had some tite-group that i had to use up the other day, afte 100 rounds my .45 was dirty as snot......gummy, black **** everywhere. I cleaned the gun and shot about 300 rounds the next day for practice with the clays load, and nothing but some mild soot. I'm sold on Clays...

·
Registered
21 Posts
R/T Performance said:
The brass I got from brass man most have swells just above the primer ring :shock: .
Wish I would have seen your post earlier. I just got 5000 pieces fom brassman and every one is bulged about .10 above the extractor groove. What sort of gun allows the brass to bulge that way? Maybe I'm spoiled with my XD's chamber, but I picked up some WWB brass I fired yesterday and it will still drop straight in to the case gauge without resizing.

At the bulge the case appears to be about .434 and then tapers back to near .423 at the case mouth.

To be safe I've been sticking every case into the guage backwards to make sure there are no bulges caused by unsupported chambers, which doesn't seem to be the case, and the brass seemed to resize ok, but it is going to take a while to get them clean.

Did you ever have any issues with that batch of brass? How many times did you reload it?

Thanks in advance,

Woody

·
Registered
140 Posts
This is why I'm kind of leery of picking up range brass. I haven't even started reloading, but there is no way for me to know where the brass came from. I'll eventually be reloading, I'm just stocking up on brass right now.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Its always interesting buying bulk once fired... I would guess the majority come from police ranges. Its interesting to make a guess at the issue weapon for a particular department "lot" based on primer strike and the infamous glock bulge. Some glocked .40 brass has been so bad that it almost shaves the brass when resizing the bulge. Thankfully, I have enough 9,10, and 40 brass to last me for years.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts