Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend has fallen in love with my XD-M 9mm and offered to buy me a full size XD and swap with me.

Should I do it?

My use is for CC and Range shooting. I'm 5'8, 190lbs, 33" waist. Will the full-size be too big for me to CC?

Is it more accurate than my XD-M in general (or would I even notice?)

Thanks for any input, guys.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I recently sold an XDm40 and kept the XD9c (grip chop). I would say they are similiar...the XDm to me hasn't justified the cost increase. I will buy an XDm40sc but because I like the .40 for CC and I don't like the XDsc 3" barell.

The full size XD with a grip chop is very easy to conceal...it was too much grip prior to the modification.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Though I have a dremel I don't think I'm skilled enough to chop the grip. Thanks for your comments. I did try to use the dremel on one of the x-tensions to get it to fit with a 16 round mag and it looked kinda rough, even ugly and it was a real mess with black grit everywhere, lol. I ended up getting the 16 round mag x-tension (which is shorter than the 19 round mag x-tension) for $10 and that was a little loose but works OK.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Get another SC ! I carry the full size .45 XDM and it prints very well without a jacket or hoodie on. Even being 6' 3" with a 38" waist doesn't hide it very well. The butt simply prodrudes outward to far. Maybe I should switch to baggier shirts but the cowboy in me won't allow it...

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
For primarily CC use, I would recommend at least trying out the compact grip. Either XD or XDm. The slightly longer barrel of the 3.8 as compared to an XD SC barrel should give slightly improved recoil control and a longer sight radius without hindering CC. Full size pistols can and are carried by many but less weight and size makes the compact grip and shorter barrel an obvious advantage for CC. More so in warm climate clothing.
If you find that you do not like the feel of handling and shooting a compact grip firearm, then skip it and get a full size grip. The difference in carrying, between a 5" barrel and 3" barrel, is really much more than the 2" difference would seem to make (with the 4.5 and 3.8 between the extremes).

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We had been out picnicking and having a tea party and decided to stop by GanderMountain on the way back to pick up her Ruger LCP which needed to be sent back to Ruger for repair of the hammer mechanism.

My girlfriend was playing 'princess' and was wearing her diamond earrings and a tiara.

While she was picking up her gun I asked to look at the XD and the XD-M compact 9mm 3.8.

She walks over in full 'Queen Elizabeth' getup and picks up the XD-M, racks the slide and ejects the mag and says 'smooth, nicely balanced' or something macho, then does the same to the full-sized HG. The sales guy's eyes bug out and he says 'Are you gonna take that home tonight'.

I put my arm around her and said 'you bet...oh, the XD? we're still pondering the issue. I have one and she liked it and now she wants one'.

He laughed and said 'oh, ok, gee whiz, well come back when you make up your mind'.

It was a hoot and a half.

Thanks for the opinions. I'll let you know how it goes. We have a gun show here in June/July and we'll look for a deal on one then. I'd like to get one with night sights.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts