Springfield XD Forum banner

Survival Rifle Scope

6K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  BrewGuyTim 
#1 ·
I just picked up a Ruger 10/22 tactical at the gun show. I love this gun, I am beginning to outfit it with the different essentials I want. First up I am looking for a dependable decent scope that won't break my wallet. I don't want to pay more than $100. I'm just starting out looking so any help would be great. I'm looking at a SKS rifle scope right now but like I said I am just starting to look so I don't know much about scopes. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
My first advice is for only $100, you won't be getting a "survival" scope that will be rugged enough for hard use. At that price point you can get a very good set of iron sights that will be effective at any range the .22LR can hit. Tech-Sights come to mind: Tech-SIGHTS Precision Shooting Accessories

#3 ·
Every decent scope I tried to mount on my SBR supressed 10-22 Rifle (all NFA rules apply) was impossible to fit exactly correct. Proper eye relief is a real problem. The scope just didn't want to set exactly in the proper spot fore and aft.

Either it was too far forward, or stuck way back over the end of the receiver and worked OK, but looked really bad. Also had trouble getting the proper rings to work with the provided factory 10-22 top rail. Most rings were too wide.

FINALLY had to shave some rings and use an aftermarket longer top rail. Forgot which brand. Also had to drill and tap two (2) additional holes in the receiver top to support the heavy night vision scope which now works great. No flex.

Anyhow, don't be put off trying to find that perfect scope for your cool tactical 10-22 because it probably won't fit exactly correct anyway and you will have to do some modifications to get the eye relief exactly correct. Fun. HB of CJ (old coot)

#5 ·
One of the better choices for a budget scope is the Nikon Prostaff 3x9. Most of the oneline stores, Cabelas, OpticsPlanet, Midway, Sportsmansguide etc, etc have them on sale at times for around $100.

Some people like the scopes from Primary Arms.
AR-15 accessories, rifle scopes, red dot sights, aimpoint rifle scopes, Bushnell

Personally I am still using a cheap 40 year old 1.5-4x Busnell variable scope on my 10/22. Works well from up close to a couple hundred yards.

#8 ·
I have a marlin 22 bolt action and was able to get a scope mounted on it...I have a cheep walmart bushnell that they had on the rack for $60 but it rung up for $40. Had to modify the rings to were they would fit in the grooves. After some filing and 10 minutes its on and it works. Some people say you should spend half of the value of the rifle for a good scope if not more.. Not me. I traded a bmx bike for the rifle when I was 13 so I made out good. @ 75 feet at the range iam plinkin empty 12 gauge shells off the target rack. Changed up the ammo from federal to winchester x somethin or another and its dead on. It all depends on what you expect. I expect if needbe I could rip the scope off the rifle and toss it at someone or something if I had to and still have the ole iron sights and laugh at myself.

#10 ·
I found 2 that may work. NC Star Mark III Tactical AR Scope and Courage Series Compact scope. Any know either of these? Also should I go 4x32 or 6x32 and what does the second #(32) mean? I know the 4 and the 6 are the zome times. Right??

#11 ·
I found 2 that may work. NC Star Mark III Tactical AR Scope and Courage Series Compact scope. Any know either of these? Also should I go 4x32 or 6x32 and what does the second #(32) mean? I know the 4 and the 6 are the zome times. Right??
Um.

Yeah.

Get the iron sights I gave you the link to.

NCSTAR are cheap Chicom glass. Some people have good luck with them, but many people don't. Zero starts wandering, and you now have a useless weight on top of your rifle. Don't know anything about the others, but...I'll stand by my original statement...but if one simply must, the only one worth considering is a Nikon rimfire scope...usually can be found for around $100 or so.

Seriously--if you're going to consider this a survival rifle, reliable and durable are a heck of a lot more important than neato-cool.

And how scopes work--the first number is the magnification. the second number is how big the objective lens (the one facing the target) is. If you see a scope described as, for example, a 3-9x40, that means it has a variable zoom, from 3 to 9 power, with a 40mm objective lens.

#13 ·
dont get the NC star i used one on my AR while my nikon was being warrentied, it fell apart after 3 shots. i reassembled it and it lost zero every shot. Luckily the Nikon scope showed up a week after being sent in.

#15 ·
Yes I absolutly want to get some iron sights, but I don't know if these would work on my 10/22. It does not have any dovetail at the end of the barel for the front sight. :?:
Go to Tech Sights homepage listed in my earlier post (#2) (not the Brownell page). They have a sight designed for the bull barrel rifles.

#16 ·
We're talking of putting a scope on 10/22 here. We are not talking about stalking the mountains in Bumfrock Afghanistan. There are lots of inexpensive scopes that would work and would give the OP good service.

The Simmons 3-9x A/O 22 Mag Rimfire Truplex reticle scopes have a good reputation over at rimfirecentral and are about $70 at sportsmansguide.com and other places.

Of course I mentioned the Nikon earlier. Good bang for the buck @ $100 on sale.

Personally I like 1-4x or 1.5-4.5x scopes. The are a lot more versatile. They give good short range visibility without distortion at the low end and are good for 100 yards or so at the higher magnification.

And yes, Tech Sights are great. I have a set on one of my 10/22s and also on a Marlin 795.

#17 ·
I'm with Zipgun here. Optics are important, but it is a 50-100 yard .22 rifle. You could almost eyeball it with iron sites so within reason any scope should work. Get quality mount and rings so you hold a zero...perhaps something like this Weigand which is one piece.

Weigand Integramount Scope Base with Integral 1" Rings Ruger 10/22 Matte - MidwayUSA

Unless you have a bull barrel and spend hundreds of dollars on upgrades you really won't notice a difference. Save the money you would spend for better optics for your AR, AK, FAL, .308 hunting rifle, etc.

Simmons and Bushnell make lower end scopes in your budget range.

Amazon.com: Simmons Truplex .22 Mag Riflescope (3-9X32, Matte): Sports & Outdoors

A 3-9 is overkill on a .22, but you can always just leave it on 4 and have it if you need to see farther for some reason.

#19 ·
#20 ·
I've just got a Plain Jane 3x9 on my Winchester 121 bolt action. Scopes from walmart payed like 60 bucks for it. Its capable of shooting pretty good one hole groups at 25 yards and it spreads out to about an inch inch and a half at 100. With that said I can do the same with the iron sights on it at 25 yards almost as consistenly. And a majority of any squirrels I have ever shot with it are almost always in that range. So I say get a cheap scope after you get good with the irons. Then have fun with the scope and if it breaks simply take it off. I'd be willing to bet you use it a whole lot more for fun then you ever do for survival.

#22 · (Edited)
I have the NCStar Mark III tactical 3-9x40 on my AR and have had ZERO problems with it. At 100 yds, shooting .223 I can shoot 1/2 groups all day long. The next day I go out and do the same thing. The benefit of this particular scope is that it has a quick release integrated base. So if you have more than one rifle that you want to use on it (or more than one upper, like me) you can move it between the two rifles with much less headache.

It is a GREAT scope? Nope, it's not. Is it more than adequate for the job? I would say yes. If I were shooting 300+ yards, head-shotting prairie dogs, the discussion would be different. But if you're looking for something that's going to be accurate for what you're going to be shooting with your .22lr AR, you don't need to spend more than $100 for a scope.

BTW, to answer your other question, the big number after the X is the size of the opening. So, for instance, my scope being a 3-9x40 is a 3-9 variable zoom scope with 40mm glass. The larger the opening, the more light that generally enters the scope.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.