Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Surrounding protesters start smashing up your car. You fear for your life. What can you legally do?

I don't know various State laws on this. Accurate commentary appreciated for the benefit of all.

from the article:

What does the law say?
The quick answer is that a motor vehicle is pretty much universally considered a deadly weapon if a driver uses one to purposely hit another person. Therefore a driver has to be acting in self-defense and in fear for his life or serious bodily injury to do so.

So, if protesters are sitting on a hood and scratching the side panels with their keys, then no — a driver can’t plow through them. The protesters’ crimes don’t match up with the driver’s crime.

But if protesters are shattering a windshield with bricks or baseball bats? If they’re brandishing other weapons? If they’re threatening to grab the driver and drag him from the car? That’s a different ballgame.

‘How serious is this mob?’
TheBlaze spoke to Nashville criminal defense attorney Kevin Kelly of Eastside Legal, LLP, who said Tennessee law includes a “solid self-defense statute.”

In the case of a driver surrounded by protesters, Kelly said there “has to be reasonable belief on the part of the guy in the car that he’s in danger of imminent bodily injury” for him to hit anybody.

He also said drivers need to ask themselves other questions: “How serious is this mob? Are they armed? Do they have bats?”

In Tennessee, Kelly said there’s a kind of “stand-your-ground law” that dictates a person doesn’t have to retreat from a scene if the person has the right to be in that location. And again, he said, whatever force a person defending himself uses can’t exceed the force that’s threatening him.

“Is the crowd loud, angry and large?” Kelly asked. He replied that if it is, that’s not enough of a reason for the motorist to drive into the crowd.

·
Premium Member
15,621 Posts
Well, I can easily get under my Jeep, so I have a lot of clearance to work with. ☺

As usual, it depends on state laws and the situation. If a protest is just lawless and they are destroying property, then my property just isn't that important... If it seems that I am the focus of their attention... Well that's a different matter.

I am armed in my vehicle. Shots have a way of disbursing crowds...

Here's the problem... No way you are going to get an accurate legal discussion. Regardless what you do... If you use force against a crowd, and you can't escape the crowd totally... They will kill you. The driver ran over the angry group of motorcycle riders to get away. You run over a couple protesters and can't get out of the protest... You won't make it out.

So leave the vehicle and the protest, start shooting, start mowing... Probably depends on the situation at the time all of which is nothing but speculating right now.

·
Premium Member
3,822 Posts
Personal opinion. Subjective ...

1) What are you doing there with your car to begin with? Usually such mob behavior telegraphs such BEFORE the rough stuff begins. Think with your brain, not with your macho thingie. If you see or even think there is going to be trouble, get out of the area. This is a no brainer. Leave the area before things happen.

2) There are mobs and there are mobs. Wanna bees and the real deals. You can usually tell. Yep .... what weapons do they have that you can see and recognize. Sometimes seemingly nasty looking mobs are not. And ... sometimes non nasty mobs can become such instantly. Again ... VACATE the area.

3) If they begin to dint and pound your vehicle with lethal weapons, do not wait for things to get worse. Slowly pull forward if you can. If not back up slowly. Do not stop. Go slow. Even scumvermin rioters do not want to get run over. They will yield. But move your vehicle slowly. Do not charge. Go slow.

4) If they start to smash your windows with whatever, then things are suddenly different. Now you can take whatever action you need to take to prevent further window bashing. Flying glass is extremely deadly. Eyesight comes to mind. The courts recognize this a a triggering event? Flying glass inside.

5) If they start to banish and shoot into the air ANY firearm, then get out of Dodge. Do it right now. At this point, particularly if they point a firearm at you, then gas it. At this point your lives are more important than theirs. Hope to say you have 360 degree high quality video cameras on your vehicle. Yikes!

Expect to go through the legal ringer like a good legal self defense shooting. The difference is you used your car instead of a gun. Hope you have good insurance. I am not a lawyer. :(

·
Premium Member
10,384 Posts
If a mob is threatening me with death or great bodily harm, I know what I would do. After several of them drop, they might scatter. A few bodies down on the deck tend to break a mob mentality. I might run out of bullets, but they might run out of courage too.

·
Premium Member
10,384 Posts
But on the bright side, I hate big cities, and unless I take a wrong turn, I don't expect to have a problem.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Things to consider:

How much ammo do you have? How well can you shoot and drive?

How much damage can your vehicle take before things start to happen that makes it undriveable or simply less-driveable.

This is a complex situation, to be sure.

·
Registered
19,694 Posts
If they physically attack my vehicle, I think it is pretty safe to assume they would do the same to me given the chance.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Roll window down just enough to light their dumb asses up with pepper spray. The kind that shoots a stream 30 feet for bears with somewhat of a nozzle oRepeat. When someone reaches in to grab me they lose a finger or worse I roll the window up in their fingers lol. Ouch.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
But on the bright side, I hate big cities, and unless I take a wrong turn, I don't expect to have a problem.
On the Down Side, big cities should not have a "wrong turn". Something is gravely wrong if there are areas that you turn into that give and you get life threatening results. Wrong turns need to be eliminated. Isn't this still the United States?

·
Premium Member
10,384 Posts
On the Down Side, big cities should not have a "wrong turn". Something is gravely wrong if there are areas that you turn into that give and you get life threatening results. Wrong turns need to be eliminated. Isn't this still the United States?
Yes, but BLM's and ANTIFA's, and Flash Mobs still happen. I know if I go to the 5th Ward in Houston, I had better bring my plate body armor and a hell of a lot firepower.

Reactions: randyd

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
While wrong turns do need to be eliminated, big cities currently *_always_* have such wrong turn neighborhoods.

Witness East Baltimore and West Baltimore (pretty much anything that's not the touristy/convention-crowd downtown Baltimore). East Cleveland, etc.

And some smaller cities are essentially one big wrong turn neighborhood - Youngstown, Ohio, in the 80s, for example.

This is well exclusive of any special events that may precipitate exceptional chaos. In these areas, the fun can be had nightly, and often even daily....if for no other reason than "it's Tuesday."

·
Premium Member
21,764 Posts
If you can leave, do it. If not, stay in your car and the first person to break a window and come after gets shot.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Depends on if I'm alone, or if I have my family.

Especially the young grandkids.

I'm rather protective of them.

I don't care how many people I have to kill to keep them safe.

I don't ever go looking for trouble. And will avoid it if at all possible. To a fault.

But it's my responsibility to keep my family safe. At whatever the cost.

Reactions: OKcherokee

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
After careful consideration, I have decided to install a megaphone system in my vehicle and learn to make authentic machine gun sounds just like in Police Academy. I'll show'm.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts