Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its 380 auto but its still a nice comparison.

I plan to hit the range tomorrow if its not raining and do chrono and water jug tests. I also plan to test 127 +P+ vs 124 +P gold dots.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My idea is, whether its a misconception or not but...

More petals = more force required to spread them out. Given a 380 is going right at or just under 1000fps, the larger petals should seperate easier than one having more.

The Supreme SXTs I dug out of my "magazine box test" didn't expand for crap. I'm debating whether to do that test in a few mins when the sun goes down.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Busy eating a burrito right now, I'll post pics later.

Test:
Cardboard box jammed full of magazines and jcpenny catalogs. shot at 15 feet.

Ammo tested:
147 whitebox jhp (walmart)
135 federal hydra shock (walmart)
124 +p gold dot (sporting goods)
127 +p+ ranger (jerry kirkpactrick)

Ammo above is listed in pentration order, least to most. All jackets seperated and fragmented with the exception of the ranger. The ranger kept its shape.

I felt no change in recoil between +P gold dot and +P+ ranger but the penetration amount was definately about 3" farther into the box.

After inspecting the jackets of all four rounds, it looks like the Ranger is almost twice as thick compared to all the others, perhaps the reason it didn't seperate and fragment all to hell!

I'll do 380 tomorrow after I buy some more ball ammo to compare it with, since there's some what of a debate of which ammunition to use (ball or hollowpoint) when using something 380 or smaller.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Shot into bare gel, into hogs, and hogs covered w denim:

180 Ranger T .74, .72, .68
180 Supreme SXT .68, .66, .59
155 Silvertip .70, .66, .61

1 - 8 of 8 Posts