Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading the thread about the Sig P239 got me thinking - what exactly does an average law abiding citizen have to do to legally purchase a suppressor?

Once you buy a suppressor - do you have to pay an annual fee to the federal government?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Partly depends on state law. You may be required to have an FFL (Federal Firearm License).

·
Registered
764 Posts
It depends on state, only in the concern of, if it's a legal state item or not. Otherwise the procedure is the same.

You'll have to buy the suppressor, but the store keeps it.
You'll submit a "Form 4" and a one time tax of $200 that goes to the BATFE
Wait 3-4 months
If approve, take home suppressor.

This is simplifying the process, but information about Trust or Individual means to legally obtain them is widely found. Check out the "armory-general class 3" section of AR15.com

I currently have one that should be approve next month. SWR Trident 9

Here a pic of the gun with a the LCD device needed for the gun to cycle properly-the only part I can legal take home, until approved. (Bottom left corner)

http://www.cinemadepth.com/Pictures/Guns/allguns.jpg

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I used a trust to buy my suppressors. Gets you around the chief LEO sign off requirement. Its an excercise in patience.
The Chief LEO sign off is no big deal here, just submit the form and he signs them once a week. I always putting "hearing protection" under the reason line and have never even gotten a call from the chief LEO. :)

·
Registered
410 Posts
Sadly, no Suppressors in Michigan...

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I always putting "hearing protection" under the reason line and have never even gotten a call from the chief LEO. :)
That's actually why I bought mine. I love being able to shoot in the desert without ears. Run it a bit too wet though, and you better have eye protection from the splatter! I just run mine dry now and never clean it. The built up **** inside keeps the noise levels down. I just use a cleaning rod down the center, that's it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
That's actually why I bought mine. I love being able to shoot in the desert without ears. Run it a bit too wet though, and you better have eye protection from the splatter! I just run mine dry now and never clean it. The built up **** inside keeps the noise levels down. I just use a cleaning rod down the center, that's it.
Where do you go to shoot? The last place my friends and i used started gettign too many atvs and random people and illegals going through. Loking for a new place near Tucson.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Where do you go to shoot? The last place my friends and i used started gettign too many atvs and random people and illegals going through. Loking for a new place near Tucson.
I go offroading in readington pass and go shooting there. Never had a problem with people because I don't shoot in the populated areas.

I hate shooting at outdoor ranges because you have to wait forever for a cease fire.

I shoot pistols at both marksman locations when i feel like it occasionally.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I go offroading in readington pass and go shooting there. Never had a problem with people because I don't shoot in the populated areas.

I hate shooting at outdoor ranges because you have to wait forever for a cease fire.

I shoot pistols at both marksman locations when i feel like it occasionally.
Cool. I may have to check it out some time. Not sure my stock daktoa will do great 4x4 though. I go to Marksman II mostly cause its less than 5 min from my fiances place and i still got a range pass from when I took my CCW through them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts