Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at various suppressors for my Tavor. There are many manufactures and some recent companies are supposedly making suppressors specifically for the Tavor in order to control back pressure, POI shift, etc (OSS Suppressor Systems). I know on the bullpupforum there are postings. However, they mostly deal with OSS.

I spoke with Surefire's technical support regarding their SOCOM556 Mini and SOCOM556 RC. He gave various specs and the like. Also, he said to be careful of companies making claims that cannot be supported since there are too many variables involved.

His best suggestion was to go to a gun show where they are participating and other suppressor manufactures are and try them out at the range at the gun show. Seems logical.

So, does anyone have thoughts on which suppressor manufacture to look into and consider? Does anyone know if there is a gun show in Arizona coming up where they will be showcasing suppressors and actually allowing the public to shoot them to try them out?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
The only time to concern yourself with POI shift is if you plan to run your rifle with and without the suppressor on a regular basis. $10 says you'll never shoot it without the can again. i know i don't.

The OSS systems are expensive, enormous, and complicated. screw that. OMO.

Now with the Tavor being a piston gun and all, you're going to get screwed out of DB anyway. Automatics always make more noise too. The gases coming off the gas block are supersonic so no getting away from that. anything that fits on the end of the rifle will work just fine be it direct thread or some sort of rapid attach system. Griffin makes their M4SD II that slides right over top of any A2 style muzzle device. Solid system. They also make a taper mount system that is hard to beat for blowback. super solid seal on those. Liberty makes a fantastic Torch that's direct thread. hard to beat on DB but the tech is making leaps and bounds all the time.

My first can was a HTA Kestrel 556. built like a brick shithouse and reasonably quiet. hearing safe IMO. Cheap too. Heavy though. very, very heavy. but SS and user serviceable. A good first can.

Remember tone is just as important as report.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know, I think you are right about the POI shift and not taking the suppressor off.

Supposedly, and I'm not sure what is hype and what is not, the OSS people are saying that their suppressor is specifically "tuned" to the Tavor and has less back pressure. They acknowledge db rating will be slightly louder since back pressure is the priority. They say depending upon the barrel length and can, dbs range from 135-139 dbs.

I am leaning toward a 30 cal suppressor that will allow me some flexibility to use on a 556 as well.

Well, you gave me a lot to research on! Thank you!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess it really doesn't matter about the cost, if it is not proven in field over a length of time. You both have grounded me.

So, it makes sense to buy a 7.62 can that I could be used on another rifle if I buy one in the future AND use on my 5.56 Tavor to help reduce blow back.

So putting together a short list:

Surefire SOCOM762-MINI MSRP $1,399
AAC 762-SDN-6™ MSRP $1,050
YHM YHM-4300 MSRP $789
Thunder Beast 30CB5 MSRP $845
SilencerCo Saker 762 MSRP $1300

I looked at the HTA Kestrel .308 and it appears their suppressor is 8 1/2 inches long as the same for their Chameleon .308.

As a newbie, I have no idea of the quality of the manufacturers and of the components they use. I cannot distinguish hype from actual. How does one sift through the "marketing" of suppressors to arrive at a fair price as compared with the quality of the product?

There is such a large range in pricing and one would believe it has to do with quality parts.....I'm not so sure....

Help!

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
The Saker is a BEAST of a suppressor. Can't break it! AAC 762-SDN is a good one to.

The mini suppressors are more like moderators. Its still going to hurt when you shoot it without earpro. Get a full size.

You don't need to spend alot to get a lot. Check out silencertalk.com and nfatalk.com for damn good info.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have narrowed it down to Surefire SOCOM 7.62 Mini and Silenceco 7.62 Saker.

I'm leaning toward the Saker because of them using stellite in their baffle construction which is 30% stronger material. While it may be stronger, I'm told it may not matter. The Silencerco is 1.3 inches longer a weights 3.7 oz more. But I'm trying to find out that since it is longer, it makes sense that it would be quieter and have less back pressure than the SOCOM.

Lastly, if the above items are true, then the Silencerco 7.62 Saker may be a better value since it is about $179 cheaper than the SOCOM. Hopefully, tomorrow I will have answers so as I can make a decision.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
I don't know if you saw what SilencerShop did to their Saker, but they beat the almighty hell out of it, and she's still tickin'.

Looking at the test data provided at NFATalk.com, the full size 762 RC on a 13" SCAR17 only dropped the pressure down by 23db from nearly pegging the meter @ 170db. That's not hearing safe at all. granted it's a 13" barrel so that's asking quite a bit.

I don't see any data on the Saker unfortunately.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I haven't looked at the video yet. Supposedly, the Specwar is quieter than the Saker. Is it worth going for a quieter db in exchange of 1.5 inches longer in length and an additional 4 oz?

Again, this is for home defense purpose where there are no small hallways to contend with. All rooms and areas have tall ceilings. I want the ability to maneuver easily and at the same time protect my hearing.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just spoke with SilencerShop. Apparently, I can achieve the same or very close reduced sound with a 7.5" Saker 7.62 with a 5.56 endcap on it as compared with the 9" Specwar.

I'm buying the Saker 7.62.

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
We are very happy with our Elite Iron Cans based upon actual ownership and great use. You tend to get what you pay for.

EliteIron High Quality Suppressors

Spendy but nice. Ours are stainless steel and come apart for cleaning. All the internal stuff is replaceable from the factory. Full auto rated.

Be sure to get a can specifically made for your caliber. It makes a difference. The guys at Elite Iron are very friendly and knowledgeable.

HB of CJ (old coot) still on this forum for now.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Good choice.
Thank you for helping and educating me! I appreciate the time you took to write your various posts! I truly appreciate it!

So if it makes sense to buy a 5.56 endcap, which is better:
- 5.56 Front Cap Flash Hider
- 5.56 Front Cap Flat
- 5.56 Front Cap Muzzle Brake (I'm guessing it will not necessarily reduce the noise as other cap choices)
- 5.56 Front Cap Standoff (not sure if this provides anything other than fear and and acts like a "DNA" catcher).

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Take it with a grain of salt as I just got my NFA trust on Monday and notorized on Tuesday. Today I bought a AAC M4-2000 (AAC M4-2000 for my Tavor. From what I hear it's a great can. I eFiled, so hopefully I get it soon.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
your SOT eForm3'd so he can get the can to him from elsewhere. the eForm system is still down for Form4 transfers and only paper is being accepted.

even still you're looking at about 5.5 months for completion.

good choice on the can.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
it's a short wait. tell ya what though i think you're gonna be glad you went with a sealed can. I find myself frustrated that my Kestrel keep rattling apart inside. just last night I had to retighten the blast sleeve. seems that ALWAYS rattles loose. there's nothing to wrench it down with either.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
Thank you for helping and educating me! I appreciate the time you took to write your various posts! I truly appreciate it!

So if it makes sense to buy a 5.56 endcap, which is better:
- 5.56 Front Cap Flash Hider
- 5.56 Front Cap Flat
- 5.56 Front Cap Muzzle Brake (I'm guessing it will not necessarily reduce the noise as other cap choices)
- 5.56 Front Cap Standoff (not sure if this provides anything other than fear and and acts like a "DNA" catcher).

What are your thoughts?
@CodeSection, I didn't see this one. sorry for the uber late response.

I'd just buy it flat. there's plenty of flash suppression happening already inside the can, and the reduction in recoil will make a brake moot.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts