Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

I'm looking into my first can, now that MO has legalized them. I think I want a 22 LR can, because they're versatile, cheap to shoot and you can get 22 LR very quiet.

With that in mind, does anyone have a good recommendation for a bolt-action 22 LR rifle that is easy/popular to thread? I want a bolt action (mag fed) because they're quiter than semi-autos in theory.

Also, any recommendations for machinists who specialize in barrel threading would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
You can always hold the bolt closed on any old 10/22 and get bolt action silence.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can always hold the bolt closed on any old 10/22 and get bolt action silence.
True, but I don't have a 10/22 (I know, what?) so the outlay of cash would be basically the same. I'm thinking the Savage MK2, but the barrel is pressed into the receiver so I'd have to send a receiver out in the mail/common carrier.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
I don't have a silenced Marlin 22 semi converted from a tube magazine to a stick magazine and is more accurate than I am BUT if I did I could tell you that with CCI subsonics it would just go "click-clack" and that it would make FAR more noise on the target end than at the operator end.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
I don't have a silenced Marlin 22 semi converted from a tube magazine to a stick magazine and is more accurate than I am BUT if I did I could tell you that with CCI subsonics it would just go "click-clack" and that it would make FAR more noise on the target end than at the operator end.
I have a Marlin model 70, and as far as noise is concerned, you're spot on about the subsonic ammo. It takes the report down to close to nothing. The only problem I've found is that the subsonic ammo doesn't create enough pressure in the chamber to reliably cycle the bolt.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That sounds like what I'm looking for :cool:. I have a Buckmark I'll get threaded to match but I'd love to be able to have a super-quiet rifle. I'm thinking if things ever get really bad, it could be the perfect game getter for an urban environment. I'm imagining dropping squirrels out of the window, etc. Heck, I know plenty of deer have been taken with an FMJ 22 LR to the head at close range. Of course that's more of a SHTF scenario, but I live in a big city and being able to take some of the does that feed on the corporate lawns in town without alerting everyone is a comforting thought.

I've shot Aguila Colibri/Super Colibri before, but the rainbow trajectory and weak energy aren't worth the quiet report.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
I have a Marlin model 70, and as far as noise is concerned, you're spot on about the subsonic ammo. It takes the report down to close to nothing. The only problem I've found is that the subsonic ammo doesn't create enough pressure in the chamber to reliably cycle the bolt.
Make sure you're using a 40gr bullet ( CCI makes a 40grHP which works well ) the weight of the bullet makes a big difference. If I had done this I probobly would remember grinding a bit off the out side of the recoil spring to lower its rate. If you could just get a lower rated spring and change it out that would be better, but try the heavy bullet first, you might get lucky.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
MO lets you surpress your rifles? How about pistols? Sorry to get off subject but how did that get passed? (law)
Yes, as of Aug 28 of this year. How did it get passed? It was part of a package proposed and passed along with getting rid of the Permit to Acquire law which required application and written permission from your local Sheriff to purchase a handgun.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Yes, as of Aug 28 of this year. How did it get passed? It was part of a package proposed and passed along with getting rid of the Permit to Acquire law which required application and written permission from your local Sheriff to purchase a handgun.
That was last year but the silencer language is a bit convoluted and I'm not sure where it stands for an average citizen.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have my MKIII, 10/22, and Marlin 880 SQ threaded for my Gem Tech Outback II. I feel that the 22 suppressor is the best bang for the buck. 22 suppressor is less expensive and they reduce the sound signature the most.

Even though the Marlin 880SQ have been discontinued...try to find one used...they are very accurate. I've owned a lot of 22s and find the 880 to be the best deal.

Don't listen to those that say the 10/22 can be made to be as quiet as a bolt action. It's BS...there are way to reduce the noise, but the 10/22 will never be as quiet as a bolt action.

If you like the mag capacity of the 10/22 and want it super quiet...I'd suggest buying the 77/22...uses the same mags, but is a bolt action rifle.

As far as suppressors...I really like my Gem Tech Outback II. You cannot take it apart to clean it, but it's not a big deal...from the manufacturers that I have spoken to about the cleaning issue. SAS suppressors are really good and reasonably priced. Tacs are suppose to be decent for the money.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That was last year but the silencer language is a bit convoluted and I'm not sure where it stands for an average citizen.
According to the KC field office of the BATFE, MO citizens can now own a silencer via an NFA tax stamp. According to them, a C&R license is also required (due to the wording of the law).

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions - looks like I have some paperwork ahead of me!

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
According to the KC field office of the BATFE, MO citizens can now own a silencer via an NFA tax stamp. According to them, a C&R license is also required (due to the wording of the law).

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions - looks like I have some paperwork ahead of me!
Exactly what I was referring to, WTF do you need a C&R license for to get a silencer? What does one have to do with the other? lol <scratching head>

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Yes, you're right, the PTA was revoked last year. The silencer law was passed though this past Aug along with several other firearm related issues.

As mentioned, part of the qualifications to own a suppressor is that you have an FFL or it be part of a Trust/Corporation. You still have to jump through all the BATF hoops on the Federal level which includes the $200 tax stamp and I believe sign-off from your local Sheriff.

Major Malfunctions of Edmund, OK has a nice selection of suppressors and is prepared to walk the buyer through all the paperwork necessary for legal ownership of suppressors in MO. MAJOR MALFUNCTION - Class 3 III NFA dealer - suppressor / silencer sales

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I had a Norinco JW15 (cheap copy of a CZ) that had threaded barrel and a no name screw on suppressor when I lived overseas.

It was very quiet.

Wish I could have brought it home.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts