Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

Thought I'd provide a write up on my experiences with me and my buddies XDs using a suppressor. This is what they are:

XD Tactical, Dawson night sights, trigger job by Springer Precision, Barsto match barrel threaded and fitted by Springer Precision.

XD Compact, Dawson night sights, trigger job by Springer Precision, Barsto match barrel threaded and fitted by Springer Precision.

We initially had some issues with the barrel fitting. They would not extract live rounds. Their was too much metal in the breach of the barrel. We returned them to scott and he fixed them right up. No fuss no muss.

The suppressor is a Gemtech Blackslide. Its just over 6 inches long and weighs 5.5 ounces. Gemtech provided excellent instructions about what kind of oil to use in the suppressor. We used Slip 2000 and Breakfree.

We shot both guns without suppressors. Accuracy was not noticably improved but the guns were very accurate to begin with. Reliability was excellent. No issues at all.

We went to work with the suppressor. Both guns were hearing safe. No issues there. Recoil was noticebly reduced. Ejection was not forceful. The casing just sort of rolled out of the chamber. Shooting in the dark, there was no flash. During rapid fire, the gun churned along, no issues. When we stopped firing, smoke was coming out of hte striker hole and the gap at the back of the frame. The gun was noticably dirtier then normal (due to the back pressure). The can was hot!

Noise reduction was pretty spectacular. We shot steal targets and people sitting 50 yards away said that it just sounded like someone beating on a drainpipe with a hammer. No firearm noise at all. Slick 2000 was a good choice (apparently vasaline is too), but Break Free was awful. It smoked something awful. THe same folks sititng 50 yards away could smell it.

Interestingly enough, the only issues we had was when a shooter with extremely small hands used the gun. This person can't shoot Glock 19s without having numerous malfunctions. So suppressed XDs are definately not a good choice for small handed shooters.

This is an excellent combination. Its quite, its accurate, and its actually reduces recoil. Overall it was worth the wait. Very cool!! I'll try and get some pics up in the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
208 Posts
GlockConvert,

Thanks for sharing the review. I've never heard of Dawson's sights are these a raised sight plane setup or was the OD of the can small enough to see over?

I've always wanted to get into a couple suppressed rigs but have not yet taken the plunge. I've shot one though and I believe I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger.

Thanks,
Slugger

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dawson sights are installed by springer precision with his normal excellent work. The have a snag free profile on the rear sight (novack style) in which I promptly ground a snag hook - like an emerson wave.

The sights themselfes are not higher then normal night sights. The top edge of the silencer blocks the nightsight, but it reallly isn't that big a deal. You get on the sights, put them on the target (even though its partially blocked) and shoot. You probably couldn't shoot bottle caps or tiny targets, but bulls eye targets, steal place, people.... would be no problem at all.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Really great to hear about this, now how about some pics :D I want you see that the XD's look like.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Me too! Me too! I want to see pic too!!!!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Scott. You're the man when it comes to trigger/site/barrel work. I have shot 8 of your xds and they are all spot on. Have some more business for you here shortly.

D

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Anyone have links for how to do this legally? I've always wanted a silenced weapon just for ****s and giggles but have never really looked into it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts