Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Problem solved--Highscore helped me determine it's the RCBS hand primer I'm using, not the swaging of the pockets, that's at fault here. I used the priming arm on my RCBS press and it was able to seat a dozen primers slick as...well, fill in the blank. So the problem isn't the Super Swage 600, it's the hand primer.

After reading several endorsements here to buy the Dillon Super Swage 600 (and the youtube videos showing it in operation), I did indeed buy one.

Impressed w/ the construction, and when you get a rhythm down, you can swage a lot of brass in a hurry.

Except I can't, at least, not and still produce a good swage.

To get a good enough swage, I need to lengthen the relative position of the Case Locator rod. But when I do that too much, the case hangs up on the Swage Rod as it is dropped into position..

Here are three pics showing the problem. The first pic shows a case hung up on the Swage Rod:

The second pic shows the correct position of the case, which I can get there by backing off the case locator rod, dropping the brass down, then lengthening the case locator rod:

The third pic is a closeup of the swage rod. It's a little hard to see, but it protrudes past the back-up plate just enough to hang up the case.

Anyone else have this problem? To make a smooth operation, I have to back the locator rod off enough that then I don't get a good swage in the primer pocket. To get a good one slows me down tremendously.

Do I have a lemon Swager that needs to be exchanged or is there an adjustment that might help? (I've read the manual, and found no help.)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Try these two websites. ammunitiontogo.com and gun-deal.com ( or just google gun deal and it will lead you to the site).

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's what the answer turned out to be, and it's not what you'd expect.

HIGHSCORE suggested I try priming the FC brass in my press, an older RCBS press with the primer arm attached. I'd never used it, but when primed the military brass with it, it worked like a charm!

Two things come out of that. First, HIGHSCORE is a genius.

Second, the problem apparently is the RCBS hand-primer I'm using. It primes everything quite well except for those FC crimped cartridges, even after swaging. But the Super Swage 600 swages them well enough to prime easily on the press, so I conclude it's not the swager that is the issue.

I called RCBS about it, their answer was to send the hand-primer back. I haven't done that yet, and may not depending on circumstances. The hand primer works on my 9mm rounds just fine, and on the other brass I've tried, it's just the crimped and swaged FC stuff that it doesn't work well with. And while I have some of the crimped and swaged FC brass, I don't have a lot of it (maybe a couple hundred cases).

It may be the shellholder I'm using on the RCBS unit, may be something else, but whatever, those cases can be easily primed with the press.

The problem of the case catching on the swage rod is solved by backing the rod off a bit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts