Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Read Only
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I assume I know what the answer is, but nobody in my CCW class or anywhere else has actually specified.

It stands to reason that when I am carrying concealed, I would have to carry my CCW card as well, yes? Just like having a driver's license when operating a car...

·
Registered
632 Posts
Yes. The punishment varies by state if caught without it. In Iowa, for example, you will be locked up until someone can present your permit, but then you will be released on misdemeanor charges. Missouri is similar.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Should have it with you at all times. regardless of carry status. just like your drivers license. put it in your wallet so you never leave home without it.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
I agree, but I think harsh penalties for forgetting it are stupid. In florida it is a very small non criminal fine, I believe.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
But until someone can actually produce the permit for you, LEOs have to consider the offender as someone unlawfully carrying (ie: criminal), arrest them, book them, confine them, etc, etc,... a lot of needless work for someone who can't remember to have their permit on them.
If I were the Judge, I'd be tempted to make the person's fine equal to the Man/Hr cost wasted due to this lapse of memory. ;)

Sent from my Transformer TF101

·
Registered
9,901 Posts
But until someone can actually produce the permit for you, LEOs have to consider the offender as someone unlawfully carrying (ie: criminal), arrest them, book them, confine them, etc, etc,... a lot of needless work for someone who can't remember to have their permit on them.
If I were the Judge, I'd be tempted to make the person's fine equal to the Man/Hr cost wasted due to this lapse of memory. ;)

Sent from my Transformer TF101
That sounds like more police-state b*llsh*t to me. So the f*ck what you don't have your permit on you? For obvious reasons, yes, you should. But to charge someone for excercising thier constitutional (ie:God given) right to bear arms for what it cost to arrest them...? Oh HELL no.

·
Read Only
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That sounds like more police-state b*llsh*t to me. So the f*ck what you don't have your permit on you? For obvious reasons, yes, you should. But to charge someone for excercising thier constitutional (ie:God given) right to bear arms for what it cost to arrest them...? Oh HELL no.
Welcome to the new America.

·
Registered
9,901 Posts
Welcome to the new America.
Yup, sh*ts gettin'ugly.
There's a thread here asking about when do you know when SHTF starts. The police state is NOW. SHTF is NOW. People are waiting and looking for a sign, some kind of trigger moment...it doesn't happen like that. Hitler's Germany didn't suddenly become despotic. Argentina didnt have a flashpoint. The Soviet Union came on as a "People's Revolution". The good citizens go about thier business and ignore the police state, and that is exactly what is happening now. The government is encroaching on our civil liberties while blatantly violating the rights of our fellow citizens and we say its OK. Shoulda had thier permit. Stop means STOP. Get frisked whenever a cop thinks you need it....if its not happening to you then what's the harm? Life goes on, right? Well, yeah...it does. But not for the ones getting carted of to jail, or detainmet camps, or shot in the street. Look the other way and hope the prevailing power structure doesnt look too hard in your direction? Good luck with that.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Yup, sh*ts gettin'ugly.
There's a thread here asking about when do you know when SHTF starts. The police state is NOW. SHTF is NOW. People are waiting and looking for a sign, some kind of trigger moment...it doesn't happen like that. Hitler's Germany didn't suddenly become despotic. Argentina didnt have a flashpoint. The Soviet Union came on as a "People's Revolution". The good citizens go about thier business and ignore the police state, and that is exactly what is happening now. The government is encroaching on our civil liberties while blatantly violating the rights of our fellow citizens and we say its OK. Shoulda had thier permit. Stop means STOP. Get frisked whenever a cop thinks you need it....if its not happening to you then what's the harm? Life goes on, right? Well, yeah...it does. But not for the ones getting carted of to jail, or detainmet camps, or shot in the street. Look the other way and hope the prevailing power structure doesnt look too hard in your direction? Good luck with that.
I don't disagree with anything you stated there. It's a very prescient observation.

However...

A CCW is different.
Getting a CCW is completely voluntary/optional.
Most CCW laws include things like you must carry the ID and be able to present it upon demand.
And you voluntarily signed a statement agreeing to abide by those rules.

Kind of hard to argue that one.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
I don't disagree with anything you stated there. It's a very prescient observation.

However...

A CCW is different.
Getting a CCW is completely voluntary/optional.
Most CCW laws include things like you must carry the ID and be able to present it upon demand.
And you voluntarily signed a statement agreeing to abide by those rules.

Kind of hard to argue that one.

Very true. However, I think the second amendment is my carry permit. All other laws are followed under duress.

I think he is trying to say that a cop should not treat an armed person like a criminal or a thug simply because of the fact that he is armed, assuming he is otherwise not doing anything wrong. This is America, where our basic human right to defend ourselves extends outside of our domicile.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Very true. However, I think the second amendment is my carry permit. All other laws are followed under duress.

I think he is trying to say that a cop should not treat an armed person like a criminal or a thug simply because of the fact that he is armed, assuming he is otherwise not doing anything wrong. This is America, where our basic human right to defend ourselves extends outside of our domicile.
The only way the laws will change is if everyone stands up against them. We need our Rosa Parks one of you guys should step up.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
:lol: Screw da man

·
Registered
632 Posts
I assume I know what the answer is, but nobody in my CCW class or anywhere else has actually specified.

It stands to reason that when I am carrying concealed, I would have to carry my CCW card as well, yes? Just like having a driver's license when operating a car...
Hold on a minute are you saying that in your CCW class nobody including the certified instructor could give you an answer on if you need to carry a permit with you while carrying a concealed gun?

Begs the next question, what else did he/she not give you a good answer on?

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'm enclined to agree with you on this one Nathan.

There's something else that bugs me about jailing someone who forgot their permit and that is; if you are in your home state the cops have instant access to the fact that you have a valid CCW permit. When the cop runs your info that is something that comes up (atleast in Iowa thats how it is). So jailing someone under the premise that they are illegally carrying a weapon when the facts are readily and easily obtainable by the detaining organization seems unecessary and illegal.

Granted, it's something you are supposed to have on you, that is the law. But unpredictable **** does happen (ie, wallet was stolen just now and you didnt even realize it).

·
Registered
3,854 Posts

Check your individual state's laws. In SC, if you are packng, you MUST also carry your CWP card with you. In an encounter with a LEO where you are asked for identification, you MUST present the card to him, and you MUST inform him you are armed.

Frankly, your CWP instructor should have gone over this, it's VERY important.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
IN the digital age, as connected as we are to systems and people never before seen by modern man...

we somehow can't add a little field to a person's digital identification that they are so permitted?

REALLY!?
You really want more information about you to be more easily available?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts