Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shot another 450 rounds of Remington-UMC (green box) today out of my XD-9 service, and had 3 failures to eject. Dropped the mag, racked the slide to catch the spent round in the chamber, and the extractor would then catch the case rim, and eject the round.

Could this be caused by fouling, or is it possible my extractor may be bent back just enough to cause this problem.........?

Is it possible this could be an issue with this ammunition.....?

3 out of 450 doesn't present itself as a major malfunction, but I'd certainly like to not have it happen at all.

·
Registered
242 Posts
How did the failures look? Were you getting cases stuck in the chamber, or were they partially out and then jammed in the action when the slide closed? Did you get double feeds where a new round was trying to go into the chamber but the empty case was still in there?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Is your extractor hook chipped or damaged?

Something like this could certainly be caused by fouling, especially if there is gunk around the extractor hook.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I don't know how new your gun is, and I don't know if you had more than 450 rounds since your last cleaning. If the gun is new, I'd keep shootin' it to continue to break it in. I'd be concerned after 700 rounds if the gun it new. I've found that a good cleaning after a lot of shooting solves many of my problems.

J

·
Registered
12 Posts
Most handguns should get a quick brush through after 200 rds.
of continuous use. You did pretty good with 3 out 450. A failure
to eject is'nt a critical failure.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The gun fired, the slide came back without the spent casing, then jammed when it moved forward and was unable to cleanly strip the next round off and into the chamber. Each time required me to lock back the slide, drop the mag, slam the slide forward at which time the extractor grabbed the spent casing, and ejected it with another pull on the slide.

I took the gun down and gave it a detailed cleaning. I held the extractor back with a small flat screw driver, and brushed the area clean around it. It seemed to sit closer to the bolt face after doing this, so it may have been some crust got inbetween the extractor and was holding it out a bit.

I'll see what happens next weekend. I got a Bullseye match to shoot, then I'll break out the XD and play with the steel plates while they tally the match scores up. I'm hoping it's nothing serious because the day after the Bullseye match is our pin shoot, and I want to us the XD to shoot that contest.

(actually I plan to shoot two rounds, one with the XD-9, and the other with my S&W 686 .357 Magnum, then compare my times between the wheel gun and the bottom feeder)

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Tony Mig said:
(actually I plan to shoot two rounds, one with the XD-9, and the other with my S&W 686 .357 Magnum, then compare my times between the wheel gun and the bottom feeder)
I like the way you think :!: Love them wheel guns. :D :D

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Bonzer said:
Most handguns should get a quick brush through after 200 rds.
of continuous use. You did pretty good with 3 out 450. A failure
to eject is'nt a critical failure.
\

If any gun needs that much maintainance that often it is a pretty sh**y gun or defective. A defensive weapon should function with less failures then that. The sort of maintainance requirement you describe is unacceptable in a service pistol, especially one to be used in a combat environment. I never service mine at less then 500 rounds (often more then that) and they all function beautifuly. The XD is capable doing at least that much ( I know mine does).

The XD extractor as manufactured requires tuning and checking of the extractor hook camber. I had major FTE problems (60%+), sent it to Springfield and they failed to rectify the issue. Took it to a local gunsmith, he fixed it. Went throuhg at least 3000 rounds since then with no failures. My advice, find a good gunsmith that knows how to work on 1911 extractors and let him work on it.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Tony Mig said:
I took the gun down and gave it a detailed cleaning. I held the extractor back with a small flat screw driver, and brushed the area clean around it. It seemed to sit closer to the bolt face after doing this, so it may have been some crust got inbetween the extractor and was holding it out a bit.
Do not do this. You are stressing the extractor more then it should be, probably decreasing the tension. If you need to really clean the area under the extractor that badly, detail strip the slide (complete disassembly). I generally use a bronze brush to brush the chamber face and a nylon brush on the extractor and blow any debris in the area out with compressed air. A very small drop or two of CLP may help disolve any powder residue, just make sure you wipe breech face clean and dry after. So far I have detailed stripped my slide only once in about five thousand rounds, no real need for it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do not do this. You are stressing the extractor more then it should be, probably decreasing the tension. If you need to really clean the area under the extractor that badly, detail strip the slide (complete disassembly). I generally use a bronze brush to brush the chamber face and a nylon brush on the extractor and blow any debris in the area out with compressed air. A very small drop or two of CLP may help disolve any powder residue, just make sure you wipe breech face clean and dry after. So far I have detailed stripped my slide only once in about five thousand rounds, no real need for it.
I had a gut feeling that I was stressing the extractor when I did it, but I only did this one time, and only long enough to brush the gunk away. It obviously worked since I fired another 400 rounds through it today with no FTE's.....

Beyond that, I pretty much follow the same cleaning practices as you mentioned Manygunner, using a toothbrush in the delicate areas, and a bronze brush where it needs it, and I also use Breakfree CLP to lubricate this gun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts