Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just typing that title makes me sick to my stomach and think that people that do that should spend a week in a maximum security prison ...

but here is my question for whether or not you are carrying open or concealed... situation where I see on youtube or in the news when someone minding their own business and someone walks up and knocks someone out and then steals there stuff. (I'm also aware of a friend that was in D.C. and had something similar which was really just a mugging, but no guns involved)

How does one protect yourself from these situations? You obviously can't shoot anyone that gets within 3 feet of you and there isn't going to be a lot of time to prepare for something like that.

But I think this topic can extend out to other situations of how do you handle threats when obviously you may not be able to always see them coming?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man, 27, charged in Lenexa double homicide case - WNEM TV 5 Here is a recent case where someone was robbed at home (this is actually a GOOD neighborhood) and what most would typically think is a safe neighborhood. Not sure why the step-son was living at home :p But regardless, they shot back to no avail... no idea of details, but the kid 27 killed both of them and nice that he at least got shot in the process but the people he robbed never made it.

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
Being prepared and training for different scenarios is an ongoing project, but there're no guarantees. Seriously, how's your situational awareness when you're snoring and in a deep sleep?

Do your best, be at peace with your Maker, and keep your eyes open...

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
Being prepared and training for different scenarios is an ongoing project, but there're no guarantees. Seriously, how's your situational awareness when you're snoring and in a deep sleep?

Do your best, be at peace with your Maker, and keep your eyes open...
My dog is awake when I sleep... She will lay there and wake me up if she hears anything...

·
Premium Member
4,647 Posts
We recently had a 19yo woman visit us. She grew up in a small community in Europe where the biggest crime is a person not cleaning up their dog's poop (seriously, it made the local paper).

My wife and I took her on a tour of the 'Pike Place Market' in Seattle. On the way home they were asking me what I thought of different things in the market. I didn't see a damn thing they were asking about. I spent the whole time walking/standing behind them, scanning the crowd of people, 360 degrees, looking for threats.

All of the above is a long way of saying: Situational Awareness

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
No amount of training can prevent a sucker punch on a crowded street or even a moderately crowded path. Just dont allow baggy pant punks in your space.

Wheres Bonehead? I like reading how he feels these events are acts of war. Absolute comedy :lol:

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
Get a stronger jaw... I have yet to see a video of these idiots trying it on someone in shape. It's usually older people or frumpy people.

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
My dog is awake when I sleep... She will lay there and wake me up if she hears anything...
We have a true watchdog as well...even when inside at the foot of our bed, she hears the coyotes an acre away. She has a certain growl/bark that wakes me up almost instantly, it's always been something close - either a power company truck coming down the road (1/4 mile away!), or one of the black bears around. Different growl for the raccoons and squirrels. I love that dog!

Trust me, I'm all about situational awareness, but one of the results of practicing it over the years is the realization that I've missed some things until after they happened. I'm working on being flexible and adaptable, and getting rid of persistent "my gunfight" scenarios. I need to do some more duct tape-injured limb drills again...

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Get a stronger jaw... I have yet to see a video of these idiots trying it on someone in shape. It's usually older people or frumpy people.
I was thinking this same thing. I am sure it happened. Though the majority seem to be reported as quoted above.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
We have a true watchdog as well...even when inside at the foot of our bed, she hears the coyotes an acre away. She has a certain growl/bark that wakes me up almost instantly, it's always been something close - either a power company truck coming down the road (1/4 mile away!), or one of the black bears around. Different growl for the raccoons and squirrels. I love that dog!

Trust me, I'm all about situational awareness, but one of the results of practicing it over the years is the realization that I've missed some things until after they happened. I'm working on being flexible and adaptable, and getting rid of persistent "my gunfight" scenarios. I need to do some more duct tape-injured limb drills again...
I do miss at times being blind to the world... Oh well now I go through it knowing the dangers and seeing the threats...

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
There is no defense against "sucker punches" because the cowardly Bast**ds sneak up behind the victim and slug them from behind.

·
Registered
8,708 Posts
These subhuman mongrels (t nugent) wont prey on someone who might turn the tables. In short they're weak lil *ussies

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
There is no defense against "sucker punches" because the cowardly Bast**ds sneak up behind the victim and slug them from behind.
I tend to agree, but because they are cowardly, they pick targets who look easy. If your head is on swivel and you carry yourself with the confidence of someone who is prepared, they notice that and look for easier prey.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts

I am all for being in shape. But if you get hit right you are going to sleep.
It doesn't take a hard punch to knock someone out.
A open hand slap can and does knock people out.

I do agree these scum pick victims carefully , Any good self-defense instructor will talk about body language and situational awareness.
Project a don't F*** with me attitude and walk like you have purpose.
Stay out of bad area's!!

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
I tend to agree, but because they are cowardly, they pick targets who look easy. If your head is on swivel and you carry yourself with the confidence of someone who is prepared, they notice that and look for easier prey.
Yes. This is true. Ive gotten out of the habit of eyeballin' my phone while out in public years ago. Condition yellow at all times would help decrease the chances of getting blind sided. Anyone who even comes close to fitting the description gets my immediate attention if within a few yards. They do this in groups so watch out for the decoy sent in to ask for directions, because its very likely his buddy is creeping up from behind.

Im 6'2", 235lbs so Im far from weak lookin' but hey, ya never know.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
No amount of training can prevent a sucker punch on a crowded street or even a moderately crowded path. Just dont allow baggy pant punks in your space.
The only thing that will protect you is situational awareness and being paranoid. Keep watch around you at all times. If anyone seems to be approaching you directly, look them in the eye to let them know they're spotted, move quickly to one side, and prepare to defend.

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
The only thing that will protect you is situational awareness and being paranoid. Keep watch around you at all times. If anyone seems to be approaching you directly, look them in the eye to let them know they're spotted, move quickly to one side, and prepare to defend.
That just sounds like a sad way to live. The paranoid part.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Just typing that title makes me sick to my stomach and think that people that do that should spend a week in a maximum security prison ...

but here is my question for whether or not you are carrying open or concealed... situation where I see on youtube or in the news when someone minding their own business and someone walks up and knocks someone out and then steals there stuff. (I'm also aware of a friend that was in D.C. and had something similar which was really just a mugging, but no guns involved)

How does one protect yourself from these situations? You obviously can't shoot anyone that gets within 3 feet of you and there isn't going to be a lot of time to prepare for something like that.

But I think this topic can extend out to other situations of how do you handle threats when obviously you may not be able to always see them coming?
My preference would be an eternity in a dirt bedroom.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts