Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a year ago, I took my wife to the range for the first time. It didn't go very well. She doesn't have much experience with guns except for shooting my .22 rifle many years ago. Our local pistol range is indoor, so it's loud. I took the first turn with my xdm .40, and shortly after I started shooting she started crying. The noise, even with ear protection, was just a shock to her. I understood, but I don't have much access to outdoor shooting. That trip didn't last too long, and she wouldn't even shoot my gun.

I've been trying to get her back to the range for a year now. So far she hasn't been ready. Since her first trip, I've picked up a xdsc 9mm, partly for her, and it's my carry gun. I hoped the 9mm would be less intimidating to her, and easier to handle.

She was in the right frame of mind today, and all went well. She quickly learned some safety issues and how the gun works. I had her do everything herself, even loading the mags. Her shooting was inconsistent at 20 feet, but successful enough to feel good about it. The noise and recoil were not issues, and she likes the way the gun feels.

Hopefully she'll go with me once in a while and work on technique. At least she has overcome the memory of her first trip, and she is more prepared for home defense if I'm not around. It's a start, and something to build on.

Yesss!!!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Glad it worked out this time.

Maybe double up on the ear protection until she gets used to having other shooters with larger calibers. (Earplugs + Muffs).

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Glad it worked out this time.

Maybe double up on the ear protection until she gets used to having other shooters with larger calibers. (Earplugs + Muffs).

For sure have both of you use good quality stick in ear plugs (not the 3 cent cheap ones!) AND use quality over ear muffs that have 33db rating or higher. There is nothing worse that being afraid of the gun you are shooting.

·
Premium Member
24,949 Posts
thanks for introducing a woman to shooting sports, i always tell guys ,to get their GF's or wive out , have them enjoy the shooting sports, learn to protect themsleves. because one thing is , we need all the gun supporters we can have these days , and most women vote , and if they like shooting the will vote pro gun ,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts