Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering which gun in the 9mm version is easier to carry as your CCW gun.

If you carry one plz post what you carry and how you carry it and how easy or pain it is to carry

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Grip on the sub compact makes it easier to conceal. The real experts will be along shortly.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
The sc is easier to conceal,lighter,and just as accurate at any reasonable range.Muzzle flip will be slightly greater and you need to fine tune your grip if carry with the non extended clip.I was amazed when I got my XD that I shot equally well with both clip lengths(I carry with the short clip in the XD and extended reload clips),I had assumed that the more secure hold with the the extended clip would mean better accuracy.You really can't go wrong with either barrel length on an XD.

·
Registered
181 Posts
My XD 9 SC in a Don Hume J.I.T. holster is quite comfortable...for me. As said above, the 10 round mag is not quite as obtrusive PLUS I'm not planning on being around for any gunfight that lasts more than 10 rounds.

·
Banned
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok thanks guys then i think i will go with the xdsc9mm and prob carry it with the ext mag since i have bigger hands and want room for my fingers to grip on and its only 3/4 of an inch bigger i recall

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
that mag may be hard to conceal. Google this- pearce grip extension. It is a grip extension for the 10 round mag that will give you larger grip length on the side you need it on with out poking out the back making you print.

Take a look at least

·
Registered
254 Posts
ok thanks guys then i think i will go with the xdsc9mm and prob carry it with the ext mag since i have bigger hands and want room for my fingers to grip on and its only 3/4 of an inch bigger i recall
Gun butts are the hardest part to conceal, not barrel length.
If you're going to do this, you might as well carry the XD Service (XD doesn't make a "compact" 9, just service 4" and SC 3").

- OS

·
Registered
254 Posts
that mag may be hard to conceal. Google this- pearce grip extension. It is a grip extension for the 10 round mag that will give you larger grip length on the side you need it on with out poking out the back making you print.

Take a look at least
Amazing to me just how much the Pearce DID stick out.
Even shaved it down to minimum, and still added too much little sharp print for me.
I just carry with normal 10 round mag, no extension.
YMMV.

- OS

·
Banned
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok does anyone have a pic of their xdsc with just the 10 round mag and then a pic of the 16 round mag like it comes from springfield. and then a pic with the 10round mag with the grip extension and possibly a pic of the 16 round with the grip extension or is there no need for the extension with the 16rd

·
Registered
693 Posts
You might have big hands but remember that a proper grip includes your middle finger and your ring finger on your strong hand. You can loose your pinky and still have a proper grip on your pistol, but the pierce grips do feel nice. And the barrel doesnt really effect concealability.

·
Banned
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok yea i seen pics with both std mags and i seen a pic with the std mag with the grip extension how much difference does the grip extension make compared to the 16 round clip if not much bigger then i would rather have the 16 round clip in the gun.

for carrying prob best way is the 10rd mag with the grip extension unless you dont need the extension i am assuming

·
Premium Member
20,508 Posts
the Pearce grip extension is a must have IMO. makes the gun so much easier to grip/draw for me.

·
Registered
254 Posts
ok does anyone have a pic of their xdsc with just the 10 round mag and then a pic of the 16 round mag like it comes from springfield. and then a pic with the 10round mag with the grip extension and possibly a pic of the 16 round with the grip extension or is there no need for the extension with the 16rd
Here's my carry w/10 rounder. (same as my avatar pic)
This shows the Pearce extension, ground down to minimum, I still found it to poke out of shirt too much at 4:00, nixed it. No, there's no extension for the 16 rounder, not needed, as whole hand fits on butt.

·
Banned
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yea that doesnt look too big so how does that holster work for you thats a IWB holster right and where at do you carry it directly infront or behind or where

·
Banned
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok so how comfortable is that holster in that position have u ever had a holster that is under the arm or chest or something under your shirt. How much room does the holster take up in your waistline and when you sit down or anything does it affect you how much do you notice its there and a aggrivation

·
Banned
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
also for a holster not sure if i want one on my right side since i am right handed or get one on my left side for cross draw or w/e it is

whats easier for most right handed people

·
Registered
254 Posts
ok so how comfortable is that holster in that position have u ever had a holster that is under the arm or chest or something under your shirt. How much room does the holster take up in your waistline and when you sit down or anything does it affect you how much do you notice its there and a aggrivation
I wear it every day, 8-16 hours.
I find it pretty comfy; you always know it's there but feels quite natural after a while. If you wear your pants tight, you'll need extra couple inches in waist.

The XDs are thick guns, all the same width. The XD SC is a chunky little sucker, 'bout same dimensions as Glock 26/27, but about 6 oz heavier.

I wear shorts 10 months out of year, and wear the cargos that have little stretch panels on the sides, so my normal size allows for enough expansion to accommodate holster also.

A good gunbelt is a MUST. I recommend The Belt Man's 1.5".
thebeltman.net

I added moleskin to entire back of holster. I don't wear undershirt and it helps with sweat during hot months.

Probably the two most often suggested holsters on gun forums are the MTAC by Comp-Tac and the Crossbreed, but I like all leather.

- OS

1 - 20 of 38 Posts