Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just added an XD9sc to my stable. I bought the gun used (looked like less than 100 rounds through it when I bought it), cleaned it and took it to the range where I shot over 100 rounds without incident. At home, after another cleaning and coating the slide with Blue Wonder, I was ready to put her on the night stand when I noticed that the magazine was difficult to eject (had wrong ammo in the mag).

Inspection of the magazine, internal mag release assembly (only what I could view from inside the grip) all seemed fine. The mag release seemed somewhat "sticky" so I used some CLP on it, did the same for the internal part from the grip end. I then finished cleaning and lubing each area lightly with Disotec. I inserted the magazine with 10 rounds and found that the problem continued...mag release difficult to push and drop mag. When mag is inserted with 6-8 rounds the button feels normal.

Is this something to be concerned with? This is certainly not the case with my XD40 service. Is removing and cleaning the magazine release button the answer, and if so how would I do it? I have not gone further than field stripping any of my handguns so would need good directions to accomplish the task.

Ideas or help? Thanks!

·
Registered
889 Posts
If it releases fine with a down loaded mag, and the release works ok without a mag in the gun ( dosen't stick or anything) there isn't anything wrong with the mag release. The "problem" is probably just the mag spring is still new, and stiff.
If you wanted to work it a little you could load and unload the mag a bunch of times, or just leave it, and it will lighten up over time with use.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I've noticed that when ejecting a fully loaded magazine, it helps to push up on the buttplate a bit while you actuate the magazine release.

This will take the pressure off the release and make it easier to use. Those new magazine springs are stiff, eh?

-stunks

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hadn't thought about the mag springs being an issue, but by pushing up on the mag in the butt as I pressed the mag release, I did find it noticeably easier to push the mag release. These 10 round 9mm mags sure didn't give me any problems with loading rounds into them...certainly nothing compared to my 12-round 40 mags where I developed a few new words to add to my vocabnulary until I started using a helper!

So need to have it inspected by a smith or to disassemble the mag release to further inspect/clean, right? No need for a gunsmith to tweak anythng with the release?

thanks again

·
Registered
359 Posts
No, you should be fine.

How often do you eject an full magazine in a gunfight, right? Sounds like normal new magazine behavior to me!

-stunks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts