Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
19,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I image for most people it would be a zombie uprising. While I do love zombie movies, that scenario does not live in my mind excessively. The stupid scenario that keeps popping up in my thoughts is "the day after tomorrow". It was a horrible movie. One I've never had a desire to see again, but do think about what a 25' snowfall would do. Would the roof collapse? How about the upper story? Would the chimney stop functioning? Could we travel at all?

Do any of you consider something similar?

·
Registered
20 Posts
EMP is a scary one, especially with the mystery coin shortage pushing us closer to an electronic trade only society. What happens when the internet goes down and you need to buy milk and bread but there isn't a way to pay for it?

Nature always has the last word and she has many synonyms that all come with EMP as a side effect, gamma ray burst, solar storm, magnetic pole shift, or my personal favorite scary scenario which is the unexpected comet or asteroid strike.

The Tunguska event was only the size of a football field and was not a direct hit, yet wiki says it was the equivalent of between 3-30 megatons of TNT. The Chelyabinsk event was 1/3 that size and still 26-33 times the power of Little Boy.

The one that got the dinosaurs was much larger, causing an estimated 3/4 of life on the planet to go extinct. That one was supposed to be 6-9 miles wide which is only 1/1000th of the diameter of our planet.

·
Registered
29,606 Posts
EMP is a scary one, especially with the mystery coin shortage pushing us closer to an electronic trade only society. What happens when the internet goes down and you need to buy milk and bread but there isn't a way to pay for it?

Nature always has the last word and she has many synonyms that all come with EMP as a side effect, gamma ray burst, solar storm, magnetic pole shift, or my personal favorite scary scenario which is the unexpected comet or asteroid strike.

The Tunguska event was only the size of a football field and was not a direct hit, yet wiki says it was the equivalent of between 3-30 megatons of TNT. The Chelyabinsk event was 1/3 that size and still 26-33 times the power of Little Boy.

The one that got the dinosaurs was much larger, causing an estimated 3/4 of life on the planet to go extinct. That one was supposed to be 6-9 miles wide which is only 1/1000th of the diameter of our planet.
Chicxulub (the strike that ended the dinosaurs) was an extinction level event; no reason to plan for it, or even worry about it—you aren't going to survive it (nor will the rest of human race) for more than a couple days, at best, depending on where exactly it hits.

And mine? Read Heinlein's “If This Goes On...”

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I‘m with the ex wife statement.

but I think nature is all it’s glory would hand us the worse SHTF that we could ever imagine (And we would not have a clue what is would be).

·
Registered
17,695 Posts
Gravity reverses itself...

Imagine falling up away from the earth...

I really think if it's man made it will be a virus released from a lab...or an EMP that knocks out the entirety (or huge portion of it) of the electrical grid...only a few missed meals between civility and people shooting each other over a loaf of bread.

·
Premium Member
15,626 Posts
First off... A man made EMP isn't crap and it isn't going to take out the grid. Natural EMP.... Could happen... Nobody really knows how bad.... The event has to be pointing right at earth, and then only half the planet is faci g it when it hits. Definitely winners and loosers...

And there is no SHTF scenario that I can't get out of my head... The most obvious, and most likely, is a collapse of the house of cards that is our global financial system. I actuallytthink that could happen before I die.

.... Well... Besides Amazon, or Facebook, or Google turni g into Skynet and incineration us all..
But we all know that's coming....

·
Registered
19,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
man made EMP: Starfish Prime - Wikipedia.
I think ground effects were messed up communication and maybe some stop-lights. this type of think won't be taking out computerized cars, or likely even cell phones. it might take out cell phone towers, until the fuses get replaced.
natural EMP: A Perfect Solar Superstorm: The 1859 Carrington Event
telegraph lines burned up. Now you have to realize telegraph lines are fairly low voltage and run for many many miles. This is a worst case scenario for EMP vulnerability. Starfish Prime was stronger, yet far more localized.

If a country were to make an EMP attack against us, it would take multiple nukes to be detonated about the CONUS. I'd rather that than they be lower when detonated.

·
Registered
19,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can’t get that much snow anymore with global warming and all. ;) But I always remember that nature has the final word.
Well, you obviously didn't watch the theatrical masterpiece I am referencing or read the book it was based on. It was based on a book by a person visited by aliens sent to warn us of upcomming catastrophy. Aliens told the original writer than global warm will trigger an ice-age event. It is exactly because of the global warming that we will all freeze!

·
Premium Member
15,626 Posts
man made EMP: Starfish Prime - Wikipedia.
I think ground effects were messed up communication and maybe some stop-lights. this type of think won't be taking out computerized cars, or likely even cell phones. it might take out cell phone towers, until the fuses get replaced.
natural EMP: A Perfect Solar Superstorm: The 1859 Carrington Event
telegraph lines burned up. Now you have to realize telegraph lines are fairly low voltage and run for many many miles. This is a worst case scenario for EMP vulnerability. Starfish Prime was stronger, yet far more localized.

If a country were to make an EMP attack against us, it would take multiple nukes to be detonated about the CONUS. I'd rather that than they be lower when detonated.
Yes I know all that. The only true case... Starfish... It's real. The effect is real. However, a country detonating a device above the US... Even one designed to maximize the effects... Isn't even close to the trump card boogeyman its made out to be.

And since Carrington, we have had some major storms. One is claimed to have effected a transformer in Canada that cause the big power outage in the US. But it didn't ruin equipment, it was an upset. But another Carrington event... Yes, there is some real concern there. I want to say there was a Carrington event recently... But it was on the other side of the sun. I could be wrong... Yes, there is concern for a mass Corona ejection... However, it actually has to be pointed at the earth... And it has to be day time for it to hose us. It could be devistating, or it could be minor. It's not entirely sure...

·
Premium Member
3,822 Posts
I wonder if some major world governments have dug several, (many?) very deep and well protected bunkers or VIP, (government officials only?) bolt holes? Say designed for 100 people for 10 years. Nuke powered. Serious attention to all aspects of living deep underground ... like one mile into and one mile under a granite mountain.

All it would really take for our nation, the USA, to do such is desire or need, time and lots of tax dollars. These deep redoubts would be much more capable than the many remaining national war bunkers. Some ultimate SHIF scenarios are rather silly ... others like a X1000 solar flare or a gamma ray burst probably will not happen?

Dunno that.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Wait.....

I thought this thread was about the stupidest SHTF scenarios! I thought this was supposed to be fun! :D

The one that I can't quite get out of my head is what happens if a singularity/black-hole just pops up next to us. I don't really want to get sucked apart, atom-by-atom. Why so stupid? Because the chances of it happening are, well, stupid.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
A virus hits the internet and erases the number 7 from existence. Pandemonium. And while trying to fix it all the plants decide to convert O2 to carbon dioxide. Doomed

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
Zombies or Alien invasion are stupidest in my opinion

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Not necessarily 'stupid' scenario, and many of you have already discussed it, but yeah, EMP/disruption of the country's information and power grid. The 'disruption' part due to, as we have also discussed in other threads, the incorporation of possibly insidious malware in the computer systems of everything we use: from computers, cell phones, power and utility software and hardware, down to people's smart doorbells and wi-fi enabled refrigerators. Does China have a master 'off' switch (a la 'Escape from LA)? Will a Y2K-style bug innoculously implanted in basic code in all computers decide that on this particular day 12/02/2021 to disable itself?

If anyone has read "One Second After" by William Forstchen, the events of that book seem to resonate in my head a lot. I think that that book's predicted outcomes; how people will react to no power, communication, medicine, food and such are... maybe not that exaggerated. Like, yeah, I could totally see people banding together, some for right reasons, and some for bad. Martial law. Raiding parties eventually. Stuff like that. Walking Dead without the zombies.

Curious thought just occurred to me: if you had asked this question 15-19 years ago, how many of us would say 'terrorist attack' as our #1 situation? I know that's what dominated my thoughts after 9/11.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts