Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be a stupid question, but Is there any where I can send my xd40 to get V10 ported. I saw that Magnaport does porting but i like the look of the V10 better. Is this a good idea or should i break down and buy a new XD40 V10

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I wouldn't bother, it would cost too much and you don't really gain all that much in performance.

It makes for a good light show indoors, however.

You cannot shoot from retention with the ported guns, you'll get hot gasses directed at yourself.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
A ported barrel is easy enough to find, but machining out the cuts in your slide would be expensive. Why not sell your current pistol and get a factory ported from Springfield Armory? You'd lose a little money, but its more cost effective than going the custom route.
Good luck, shoot safe.

·
Registered
386 Posts
DON'T SELL YOUR XD40! This is just an excuse to buy another one. I think the ported are sweet looking and would like to get one but would you gain anything in a real world defensive application. I would think if you shot one I a dark house. (at an intruder of course) You would be more likely be blinded by the flash. Would there be any better reason to have a porting gun as a caring gun I guess is my question? I can think of some reasons why I would not want one.

·
Registered
370 Posts
This has been discussed many times here gents. While a ported gun has less recoil it is not for defensive purposes. For one- shooting it in the dark blinds you I guess. Also if you shoot it close to your body it will burn the shat out of you! Im no expert- just things Ive read.

Cheers!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Right now it is hard to get XD original parts unless you have a warranty situation. It would be great if SA offered the ported slide and barrel a'la carte but it's just to new and the demand to great. You can practically build your own Glock from scratch with all the parts now available for it.

As far as being blinded by the ports... well, the range I shoot at is pretty dark as the targets in each lane are spot lit. There is minimal visible flash/smoke and it is very quick and does not interfere with the next shot. Shooting with a complete black background - I have yet to try. I don't recommend it as a defense weapon but used correctly it will stop an intruder just like any good handgun. Drop an EFK non-ported barrell in the ported slide and you've got a standard XD!

Hell, fire almost any revolver in low light and you'll see a flash from the back of the cylinder.

·
Registered
219 Posts
ported barrels = overrated imo. I had a Springfield Ultra Compact V-10 and the ports was a waste. You loose alot of energy from the ports and it also can burn you, throw gasses and junk in your face, and catch clothing or whatever on fire. The only thing it has going for it is a big WOW factor. It really doesnt cut down on the recoil enough to justify it. An aftermarket spring will do a better job imo. I know of several guys that had ported guns who swapped the barrel out to a non ported barrel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts