Springfield XD Forum banner

Stupid Noob Question #712 (for me...)

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  scooter123 
#1 ·
Having just acquired my XDM9 -

And super apologies for this Noob question -

Is there a preferred methodology for decocking/clearing once it shows the cocked status via the indicator on the rear?

Example, I drop the mag and pulled on the slide to ensure the chamber is clear in order to render safe the gun - and now the indicator shows as cocked and ready to go.

1. Is there a problem (other than the highly undesirable false indication of being cocked with no round loaded) with leaving the mechanism cocked?
2. Is there a way to clear this without dry firing?
3. Is dry firing with an XDM9 as undesirable to the pistol as it is with other manufacturers/models?

Thanks and happy holidays to all!!!

MC!

#3 ·
well there is no way to uncock it besides pulling the trigger.

but dry firing the gun shouldnt hurt it as long as yu dont do it a TON.

when i dryfire my gun i use snap caps,

and i personally dont like keeping it cocked if it isnt loaded but i should be a problem.

dryfiring causes the firing pin to hit the FP reatainer pin, after a while this "could" cause it to break. so its not a bad idea to have some spares just incase. i bought some from pistol gear . they are cheap and are worth not having to worry about it

#4 ·
"Dry firing" is very misunderstood as to the damage it may cause.

Any military grade centerfire firearm should be able to withstand hundreds of thousands of dry fire instances. In fact, military spec sheets require the firearm to be able to withstand thousands of instances of dry firing (dry firing is part of the manual of arms for military weapons).

There are some exceptions, but these are due to metallurgy or crap design.

Dry firing a .22 rimfire will cause great damage to your firearm, unless (like Ruger) it is designed so that dry firing does no harm.

#7 ·
Just one thing to add here, after you've dropped the magazine, cycle the slide fully 3 times.

Once to make it empty.

Once to make sure that YOU know it's empty.

And finally, one more time to make sure that EVERYONE knows it's empty.

After your done, lock the slide back and make sure that the chamber is empty. Only then should you let the slide return to battery and pull the trigger to release the striker, althoug you really don't need to. Cops have been carrying cocked Glocks for about 20 years and I have yet to hear of one not going off when the trigger was pulled. Course without a girp safety, I have seen many postings about Glocks going bang when the trigger was pulled.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.