Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to order a CMMG upper here in a couple of weeks, so I've been thinking over what I should get on it.

The gun's intended primary purpose is home defense. It will probably be the 14.5" barrel with a flash hider or comp welded on to make it legal.

How loud is an AR with a compensator/brake? I read somewhere they are loud enough to cause permanent hearing loss.

I don't want to go deaf if I ever have to use it in case of the SHTF. (Though I'd rather be deaf than dead.)

Should I just get a flash hider and skip the comp?

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
It's loud but it's not that loud. Plus you should always wear some sort of hearing protection when you shoot. Foarm ear plugs will do the job just fine if you don't want something bulky on your head when you shoot.

If and when SHTF, then being deaf would probably be on the bottom of the list of things to think about.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I have a comp on my 16" AR and its LOUD! There is no way in hell I would fire it in the house, im considering takign it off since its main use these days has been a woods gun while coyote hunting. Even in the woods its 3x louder than without it.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I had a Izzy Comped Bushmaster M4 and that thing would rattle your fillings and Piss off any one shooting with you. It was loud even through the ear muffs:shock:, I Ditched it quickly.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I bought a CMMG 14.5" barrel assembly with Phantom 5C2 (the 5 port slot with one facing down and aggressive end" permanently attached 4mths ago. I can tell you, its really loud compared to my 16" ARs. Even the AK guys were complaining about it at the shooting range, it was indoors. I would think that the only way to eliminate the bang would be a silencer.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Ok, no comp.

Thanks.
Good choice especially if there is EVER the chance of firing it indoors. You can't really use earmuffs in the house if you are listening for bumps and floor creaks. You probably wouldn't have time to put them on anyway.

If you did have to pull the trigger, not being able to hear for a few minutes afterwards COULD be a bad thing even if there are some that don't think it's important to be able to use all of your senses when you really need them.

·
Registered
367 Posts
a while back while I was at the DFW indoor range there was a fellow sighting in his AR-15.

I'm used to the sound of gun fire and I'm used to the sound of 'normal' AR-15s. I had the lane next to him, I ducked when he fired off his first round. it sounded like a canon had gone off next to my ear. my buddy and I both stepped back and watched him for a bit. he had an izzy comp on his bushy, jesus that thing was loud. even he was saying he normally only takes it to an outdoor range.

I'd say skip the comp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts