Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I go to the range with my 9 mm, .45 and my XD40 Tac. I only had about 100 rds of CCI .45, 50 rds of Remington UMC 9 mm, but I had about 250 rounds of Remington UMC .40.

I shot all of my 9 mm and .45 faily quickly..now to shoot the XD for a while.

On about the 3rd round of the first magazine, I hear a loud snap, but no pow, and the action didn't move. I thought it was a bad primer, but I saw some smoke.

After letting it rest for a few minutes, the slide was completely stuck closed. I tried about as hard as I could, but I couldn't budge the thing at all. Uggghh. Off to the gunsmith.

He fixes the gun fairly quickly (didn't even charge me anything) and tells me there was no powder in the freaking round! This was factory Remington UMC. Nice QC there, guys. I know this isn't a defense load or anything, but come on.

The primer had just enough power to push the bullet halfway out of the case, where it became lodged in the barrel, then the whole thing was stuck together. He had to put a rod down the barrel and hammer the bullet backwards, back into the case.

I have been using Remington UMC at the range for a long time now and I suppose I still will, since it is the cheapest (supposedly) reputable ammo I can find in my area. Anyone else have issues like this?

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
No, I've shot about 500 rds of that ammo and never had a problem. If I were you, I'd send an email to the company telling them what happened. Who knows, they might send you some free ammo.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
I have had one issue - however I have shot probably 1500 rounds of remmington UMC .40 so I just figured it was a fluke. But it was kinda scary. I was just shooting away then all of a sudden no bang just a small pop - no shell ejection and a big puff of smoke out of the top of the gun and the slide slightly back - after figuring out what happened the shell on the right is what I found. Below in the picture both shells are .40 but you can see the one on the right is grossly misshaped and larger in diameter too - not to mention the large gash in the side of the case.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Annoying but a probably just a fluke IMO. I have over 2500 round of UMC through my two XD-40's since April this year and have never had a problems. I did have string of squib loads with a batch of me reloads (my fault). Squib is just what you experienced, a round with a good primer but little or no powder. It happens frequently enough at USPSA shooting matches that usually several competitors will have a brass rod and light hammer to dislodge the squib. I would contact Remington customer service department. They might throw you a few freebies for your trouble.

mcb

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Actually a "squib" load is safe to shoot. Such as loading down a 30.06 case so that you get lower velocity round for various purposes, such as varminting at shorter ranges.
A bullet, primer and no power charge or trace amount of powder is something that has no purpose except a disasterous situation as noted above. Makes you wonder now about factory made cartridges. This is probably a very very rare case, but still it makes you wonder. I guess there is no such thing as 100% reliable. I'd be interested in what Remington/UMC has to say about it. Some free ammo would be nice, but wouldn't that be like getting sick at a restaurant and being compensated by having another meal prepared for you at the same place that made you sick to begin with? :shock:

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I've had rounds with no primer, upside down primer, no powder, too little powder, too much powder, upside bullet. I even once got a box of 9mm that has all .380 in it. It happens--move on, I guess.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
I know what you mean hobo. Years ago I broke my tooth on a piece of gristle in a steak and the manager wanted to know if wanted another one. I told him I'd rather have the phone number to his insurance co. :D

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
hobocircus said:
Actually a "squib" load is safe to shoot. Such as loading down a 30.06 case so that you get lower velocity round for various purposes, such as varminting at shorter ranges.
I have intentionally produced such light load for similar purposes but have never heard them referred to as "squib" loads. I just called them "light loads." With the guys I shoot USPSA with squib has always been in reference to a bad load, usually one with out any powder, that failed to get the bullet all the way down the barrel. This leaves the gun in a very danger situation with a bullet stuck in the barrel.

A quick Google search results articals where in people are using both definitions. Some refer to international down load ammunition and other refer to loads that failed to get the bullet out of the barrel. Wonder if this is a regional difference in definition or just one of the those English word with to many meanings.

Rambling
mcb

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
mcb
It happens frequently enough at USPSA shooting matches that usually several competitors will have a brass rod and light hammer to dislodge the squib.
Why so many cases of "squibs"? someone is messing up very badly somewhere. I wonder if that is why there are frequent reports of such things as Glocks blowing up? All you need is one bullet part way down the barrel and then another good load to cause some fireworks.

When I reload, I use a single stage press (slow, but effective). After I charge the cases with powder, I use a bright flashlight and visually look down into each case to make sure each cartridge is fully loaded. Guns rarely forgive a reloading mistake.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Frequent might be a bit of and over statement I probably have seen one 'squib' for every two or three club matches I have been to this summer. I personally did have two in one day but that was traced to a problem I was having with a friend reloader, that situation is being remedied by myself hopefully getting a Dillon XL 650 for a Christmas present from the "Girlfriend with two rings".

None-the-less when you get nearly fifty shooters together for a weekend match and each shoot shoots between 100-150 rounds for the course of fire that adds up really quick. That's upward of 7000 round in a day. When a large percentage of those guys reload using progressive presses the rare squib is going to happen.

Given that clearing a squib is easy and requires minimal tools it just make sense to have the tools in your shooting bag. It would suck to have a squib on the first stage of a match and have to miss the entire match because you did not have a short brass rod and a light hammer to fix the problem.

Fortunately all the squibs I have seen have had no powder at all and short of the 9mm Major guys, that some are using magnum primers, a standard small pistol primer alone rarely has enough energy to push the bullet deep enough into a barrel to let you chamber another round and create a Kaboom situation.

The few times I have had a squib in my XD there would have been no way I could have chamber a second round the bullet only got deep enough for the rifling to engrave about half way down the length of the bullet. A couple of light taps on the rod and away I went.

Sliding a bit off topic, Sorry
mcb

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've had it happen three times. Once with WWB 45 and twice with my own loads. The last time was in a dark stage and not catching what happened I tried real hard to get the gun going again. :shock: I'm glad I failed. It was a very pricey 1911.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've always heard the term 'squib load' used to refer to a cartridge that, for whatever reason, failed to push the bullet all the way out of the barrel. These are considered dangerous because if the casing wasn't deformed in the process, and you don't know what happened, it's easy to rack another round into the chamber, and then end up firing the second bullet into the first which is still just sitting there.

I've been lucky and I've never had it happen myself, but I have two friends with utterly destroyed barrels from having this happen.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts