Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new heavy barrel and hogue stock arrived today for my 10/22, but I am having some problems getting the original barrel off. I think some gunk must have melted in there last time I shot it, and it is now impossible to remove! I don't have a vice or a torch, but can anyone suggest how to get this thing off? I have sprayed some Break Free CLP and Hoppes Oil in there, but it is not budging. I guess I will let that stuff sock over night, but can I get some more suggestions?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
My new heavy barrel and hogue stock arrived today for my 10/22, but I am having some problems getting the original barrel off. I think some gunk must have melted in there last time I shot it, and it is now impossible to remove! I don't have a vice or a torch, but can anyone suggest how to get this thing off? I have sprayed some Break Free CLP and Hoppes Oil in there, but it is not budging. I guess I will let that stuff sock over night, but can I get some more suggestions?​
Man, I have every tool invented for auto repair for the past 15 years!
Please, bring it with you! We'll figure it out! I have vise's, torches, pipe grippers and anchors. However, I would try a little PB Blaster and a cheater bar before Heat! Don't want to mess with the temper of the steel!

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank ya sir! I will definitely bring it with me, but hopefully this oil and break free will do some work tonight. I can't wait to try out this heavy barrel!

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I just gotta ask.....

Do you know how the barrel comes off the receiver?

It requires a Allen wrench and you remove the blocks?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Once you have the v-block off, let the bolt slam into the end of the barrel a few times. That usually gets it started, then you can use a screw driver to carefully pry it out.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Of all the 10/22's I have swapped barrels out on...I have never had one with a "stuck" or otherwise tough-to-remove barrel. I don't want to be a nose-bleed, but...you are trying to remove it as follows and as hobocircus suggested...right?

Installation Instructions for the Ruger 10/22 or 77/22

1. To remove original barrel remove the two socket head cap screws using a 5/32 Allen wrench as shown in drawing.
2. Slide out dovetail block that was held in place by socket head cap screws.
3. Pull original barrel out of receiver.
4. To install new barrel reverse the above procedure. The dovetail block will align the barrel.
5. Retighten socket head cap screws reasonably tight.

If, for some reason the barrel is stuck, I would suggest a normal lighter only as a heat source, staying as far from the "torch" as you possibly can. Once the socket head cap screws are out and the dovetail block is free...there should be nothing holding the barrel into the receiver other than a little compression if any.​

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
Yep, I tried helping him out through AIM, he's already clarified through our conversation that he has taken the V-Block off... This one has gotten me stumped! Granted, I'm very new to 10/22 platform, and we covered everything that could possibly keep it from coming out and our final thoughts were, "maybe there's some crude in there from when you were shooting that is causing it to stick". I'm curious to see what the real problem is, hopefully it's just dirty and stuck.

Let us know JhankG what you find out.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I just did a 10/22 barrel swap last weekend on a brand new (unfired) rifle and no amount of pulling or twisting could get the barrel out.

As I mentioned before, I let the bolt slam closed a few times. That pushed the barrel out far enough for me to get a screw driver under the shoulder and pry it out.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
what about putting a few hundred rounds through it very quickly and then trying since that would hea it but not mess with the barrel the same way a torch would

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
If you think heat may solve your problem use a hairdryer set on high and only heat the receiver, not the barrel.

Wrap the barrel in rags right up next to the receiver (to protect it from heat) and then heat the receiver from the top and sides not inside. The heat, even though it's only a couple hundred degrees at most, should make the receiver expand while the barrel remains cold and contracted. This should make the barrel easier to remove.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just gotta ask.....

Do you know how the barrel comes off the receiver?

It requires a Allen wrench and you remove the blocks?

The oil and break free didnt do anything over night. I slammed the bolt closed about 20 times...nothing. I guess I will try the hair dryer tonight.

By the way, yes, I have removed all the required parts. Seems this may be pretty rare since I can't find anything about it on google.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Once you have the v-block off, let the bolt slam into the end of the barrel a few times. That usually gets it started, then you can use a screw driver to carefully pry it out.
+1 thats what i had to do

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have used break free, penetrating oil, a hair dryer, a hammer, and slamming the bolt closed over and over- it still will not even nudge. Someone on the AR forum suggested putting it in the freezer. Has anyone ever tried doing that with something that is stuck? Should I just hit on it after it has been in the freezer for a while? I was also thinking about dipping it in boiling water, like I did to clean up my Mosin Nagant. Anyone think that would be a good idea, or would you advise against it?

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
You might have some luck freezing it then hitting the receiver with a dryer or heat gun. You would need to work quick though. Do you have a decent gunsmith local to you?

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
dang that sucks.

it took a while to get mine to come loose by slamming the bolt. i would say about 10min of doing it before i could pry it loose.

how long did you try?

oh and maybe a strap wrench might help break it loose but make sure not to bend your receiver

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dang that sucks.

it took a while to get mine to come loose by slamming the bolt. i would say about 10min of doing it before i could pry it loose.

how long did you try?

oh and maybe a strap wrench might help break it loose but make sure not to bend your receiver

I'm going to stick it in the freezer again and then slam the bolt for about 10 minutes. This really is ridiculous...

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
This is just one of the damnedest things I have heard in a while. Hang in there...you'll get it done.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
This is just one of the damnedest things I have heard in a while. Hang in there...you'll get it done.
Yeah, me too! I'm stumped that this is taking so much effort. Stuck casings in a die seems easier than JHankG's problem!

JHankG - Seriously, if the freezer and 10 min. of bolt slamming doesn't work, take it to a gunsmith. You might end up doing something to it and not know and have something bad happen when you start to use it again.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
If you can freeze it and then put the reciever end into the hot oven, it will help you. I would try putting the reciever in a vice between wooden blocks and using a strap wrench on the barrel too.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts